Marshalls Figure Skating Challenge-Tampa, FL | Golden Skate

Marshalls Figure Skating Challenge-Tampa, FL

uniqueseraph

Spectator
Hi,

I'm going to be going to this event and it's my first time. :rock: :love:
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice, so it runs smoothly. I figure I'll never get to go backstage, but does anyone have experience getting autographs/pictures? Any tips on where would be the best place to sit? I know it's not the same for every event, but ANY general or specific advice can help. You can also PM me..Thanks!! :biggrin:

Hi, Uniqueseraph (now there's a unique name!) I don't have any advice to give about meeting skaters and getting autographs, but I do want to welcome you to Golden Skate. I hope you like it here and want to stick around.:agree:

I live in Detroit and I go to the Marshalls shows that they have each December here. One year the local public television station sponsored a "meet and greet" that you could sign up for if you made a contribution to public television. I got my picture taken with Belbin and Agosto!:love:

In my experience, all of the seats are fine for watching the show, even the cheap ones. Sometimes the skaters will hang around after the show (on the ice) and you can come down to the boards for autographs.

You're going to love it! Go Kimmie! Go Bebe! Go Emily!

Mathman

uniqueseraph

Spectator
Thanks mathman [(math + man) -- yours is "unique" too :p ]. Yeah, I'm so afraid I won't see anything from the "cheap" seats but an ant running across a white floor :laugh: It seems silly, but do you think security will be tight if the venue says no "audio or visual recording devices"? Any idea how long the event lasts? It falls on a Tues., so I have to get up for school tomorrow.. :sheesh:

About three hours. Sercurity is usually present but perfunctory. They might look in your purse, or have you open your coat if you have on a loose one. (I guess that's not so much an issue in Florida in the spring as it is in Michigan in December, LOL.) You can usually smuggle in an ordinary camera, whatever the rules say about it.

But if they have a rule about no video cameras, you should respect it, and also no flash photography during the performances.This unnecessary anyway, because that little flash doesn't make any difference in the huge arena.

To me, even in the nose bleed seats, you can still see OK. In fact, I like to be a little higher up, not right at ice level, so I can see the whole rink. If you buy your tickets from Ticketmaster or on line from the arena, just ask for "best available."

The arena will be well-lighted for contests like this. The pros skate in a darkened arena with a spotlight, but for the amateurs, especially the less experienced performers, they have the lights up. That is because it is too scary to skate with just a spotlight if you are not used to it -- you have to jump into darkness where you can't see the ice in front of you.

I wish I were going. I enjoy these so-called "cheesefests" the most. It is top level competition without the angst and anxiety of, say, a Grand Prix event. If this is your first time to see Michelle performing live, get ready to be amazed!!!

Mathman

This will give me an excuse to go to Tampa (summer home of the Damn Yankees). However, the way I'm spending money on figure skating and dance it may be too much. But I'm going to try.

Joe

uniqueseraph

Spectator
Ok thanks for the info mathman. I actually would like to see nationals or worlds moreso than a chessefest-esp. one with only American skaters. I love how you can feel the pressure in the arena when the stakes are high for international things. But I guess I have to settle with what I get ;)

I drive by the Yanks training facility when I'm in the downtown area-it's also near the Bucs stadium if you're into football as well, so come on oversometime Joe :)

uniqueseraph said:
I drive by the Yanks training facility when I'm in the downtown area-it's also near the Bucs stadium if you're into football as well, so come on oversometime Joe :)
Well, if I go, I'll expect to see you at the cheesefest. As to the Yankees, I would prefer to go to Port St. Lucie (wherever that is) and watch the Mets.

Joe