David Wilson | Golden Skate

David Wilson

missBella

Rinkside
This question has been bugging me for a while.

David Wilson choreographs for Jeff Buttle, Joannie Rochette, Chynthia Phaneuf, Nicholas Young, Shawn Sawyer, but who else? any other skaters? any pairs? any lower level skaters?

I just love watching his work because each program is so unique and suits the skater's personality.

bleuchick

On the Ice
missBella said:
This question has been bugging me for a while.

David Wilson choreographs for Jeff Buttle, Joannie Rochette, Chynthia Phaneuf, Nicholas Young, Shawn Sawyer, but who else? any other skaters? any pairs? any lower level skaters?

I just love watching his work because each program is so unique and suits the skater's personality.

Sebastien Britten, Josee Chouinard, Brian Orser, one or two of the current Japanese female skaters and L/F(former pairs skaters).

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
He's been working with Rochette and Buttle for many years, and I'm assuming the same pattern for the other up-and-coming skaters. He starts with skaters when they're young, and brings them along as the develop more advanced technique.

I suspect he has been learning his craft for some years and it is now reaching full bloom with Joannie and Jeffrey. Unfortunately, we don't get to see that many elligible Canadian skaters on American TV, so I am not aware of other skaters using his choreography. He is a talent.

BTW, Did he do Josie Chouinard's routine in that cheesefest where she beat MK? It was a very cute number who ever did it.

Joe

wvgal57

On the Ice
Was it "The Sweater"? I loved that program and everytime I see Josee name I think of that program! I think Joanne reminds me of Josee but a much more compact, powerful package.

bleuchick

On the Ice
I am pretty sure that program was choreographed by Lori Nichol.

Josee's programs for the World Challange 2004 were choreographed by David Wilson.

That was the Canadian Open. Josee's two programs were the Jewel Thief and Harlequin, both by Lori Nichol. Josee fell on her triple Lutz attempt and Michelle skated cleanly. But the judges gave Josee the higher marks because it was supposed to be an "interpretive" program. Michelle skated a generic program, while Josee's told a story (teaching a baby bird to fly).

Mathman

lotusland

On the Ice
David was a competitive skater ... not a high profile amateur career, went to skate in Ice Capades for a few years. He began doing choreography as soon as he left the show. I believe Sebastien Brittan was one of, if not David's first choreography clients. He has been doing Cynthia Phaneuf's choreography for many years now, since she was 9 or something. Not quite as long for Joannie or Jeff. David did do one of Ben's programs this year. David also did Jacinthe Lariviere & Lenny Faustino's pair programs. Although David has, and is continuing to develop quite a name for himself, his clients don't need to be the most talented nor the most high profile, he works with tons of everyday ordinary (for lack of a better way to phrase it) competitors. :rock:

screech

Final Flight
lotusland said:
He has been doing Cynthia Phaneuf's choreography for many years now, since she was 9 or something. Not quite as long for Joannie or Jeff.
I thought he had been doing Jeff's choreography since he was like 12 or something, which would make it like 10 years

lotusland

On the Ice
When I say,
He has been doing Cynthia Phaneuf's choreography for many years now, since she was 9 or something. Not quite as long for Joannie or Jeff.
I mean he didn't start working with Jeff or Joannie when they were as young as Cynthia was when he began doing her choreograhy.

Sorry, should have worded it differently.

lotusland

On the Ice
To answer wvgal57's question: does David Wilson ever do work for people outside of Canada? The answer is yes.

David Wilson did Nobunari Oda's (Japan) program. I just looked at Nobu's bio and I don't know why, but it lists Yukako Sugita as his only choreographer ... but I am positive David did at least one of Nobu's programs this competitive season.

You can also check out the Jr. Worlds results to watch Nobunari Oda (and everyone else) because he is competing this week in Kitchener.

http://www.isufs.org/results/wjc2005/

bleuchick

On the Ice
Pixie Cut said:
Does anyone have a photo of David Wilson?
I am very curious what he looks like.

I saw one in the Globe&Mail back in January but when I checked the online site it wasn't there. :frown:
Maybe someone has a pic.
IMO, he looks like Jim Morrison/Val Kilmer.

Last edited:

Matt

On the Ice
I thought he also did choreography for Yukina Ota's FP for this competitive season, but I think I might be imagining that one. I know it was a Canadian choreographer.

brad640

On the Ice
wvgal57 said:
Does Wilson choreograph for anyone outside of Canada?

Wilson choreagraphs Japanese junior mens competitor Nobunari Oda. His program sounds very unique. From USFSA:
Nobunari Oda, 17, of Japan delighted the audience with his Super Mario program, which included comedic footwork and arm movements choreographed to suit the music's computer game sound effects. Oda chose his music after seeing the Super Mario movie and asked Canadian choreographer David Wilson to create a program to it.
There seems to be a paralell with this program and Buttle's Naqoyqatsi in that both source materials deal with human conflicts with technology. From the NY Times review of Naqoyqatsi:
An overriding theme of the movie is the impersonality of technology and the degree to which its promises of power and perfection have seized the human imagination and begun determining human activity. There is, after all, a part of us that is profoundly attracted to the notion of the body and the mind as perfectible machines and parts of machines.
Much of Buttle's choreography seems intentionally mechanical and robotic, particularly in the footwork. I wonder what draws Wilson to these programs, which are hardly standard concepts for figure skating.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I don't particularly like any of Wilson's choreography this year. I don't know if that's totally a result of his choreo, or if its just because I"m not particularly fond of any of the skaters styles. I wish I could see his choreography on a skater I prefer just to see if I like it.