Split-jump question | Golden Skate

Split-jump question

In a split jump, what edge do you take off from? Do you land on a forward edge? Is this element hard to do, compared to a jump with revolutions?

Mathman

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
In a split jump, what edge do you take off from? Do you land on a forward edge? Is this element hard to do, compared to a jump with revolutions?

Mathman

The normal split jump (forward or Russian split) takes off from a flip entry -- back inside edge with toepick assist. It lands on the toepick of the foot that didn't pick and pushes immediately onto the forward (usually inside) edge of the picking foot. For example, left back outside edge takeoff with right toe assist, land on left toe and push to right forward inside.

In other words, it's a half-flip with a spectacular air position. A stag or tuck position is also possible with the same takeoff.

The hard part, of course, is getting the height and extension, which are different skills than rotating. I'd estimate that a 90-degree split (not something you'd usually see, except as a non-emphasized connecting step, at the elite level) is about equivalent difficulty to a single flip jump, and a full 180-degree split is at least as difficult as a good double flip.

It's also possible to do it from a lutz takeoff, which would make it slightly harder because of changing directions at the takeoff. Or to exit onto a forward outside edge, i.e., changing directions on the landing, probably harder still.

And then there's the split-flip, which is a full single flip with a split in the air, landing on the back outside edge. Paul Wylie used to do these frequently. I've also seen them from Todd Eldredge and Kristi Yamaguchi among others, but it's relatively rare.

Elena Liashenko often does a split single lutz as a warmup, but not in her programs.

Split falling leaf takes off from a back outside edge like a loop jump, with half a revolution and landing as above.

dragonfly

Rinkside
A split falling leaf, which is what the picture looks like, takes off like a loop jump, from a back outside edge. You touch down with the opposite foot when you land and immediately change feet to a forward inside edge on the take-off foot. It's basically a half-loop. The faster, higher, and longer you can jump, the bigger the split falling leaf will be.

Russian split jumps are different. Not very many people are doing them in competition these days for some reason. Rory Flack Burghart had the best one ever!

Thanks for the responses, Dragonfly and GKelly.

What got me to thinking about this is the video created by Uncchristin99 on the MK forum (posted below by Millie, in the thread "Sasha and Michelle Video"). At the beginning Michelle does one of those "90 degree non-emphasized connecting steps" jumps, as described by GKelly. Then at the very end of the video she just goes off like an atom bomb with the real deal.

If you haven't checked it out yet, here is the direct link to the video. To conserve the authors's bandspace, please right-click and download it rather than playing it from the site. It takes a couple of minutes to download and opens in Windows Media Player.

http://kaaj.spirited-wings.com/Videos/Pompeii.wmv

Mathman

N

nthuz

dragonfly said:
A split falling leaf, which is what the picture looks like, takes off like a loop jump, from a back outside edge. You touch down with the opposite foot when you land and immediately change feet to a forward inside edge on the take-off foot. It's basically a half-loop.

I understand your description of a split jump as "like one half of a loop jump" But...a "half loop" is a different jump entirely.

gezando

Final Flight
NNN can do a split loop. Taking off on the BRO edge as in a loop, and make a full 360 degree turn so 180 more than a falling leaf

gezando said:
NNN can do a split loop. Taking off on the BRO edge as in a loop, and make a full 360 degree turn so 180 more than a falling leaf
There are many variations of the split jump and all of them have a different affect on the eye. I like Elena L's back split which I believe she is the only one doing that jump nowadays. There is a the flip and a half split which has disappeared from competitions; there is the BO edge split which I haven't seen in years. I never did see NNN's but it must have been a dooozy.

The classic split is where one sits on their rump in the air.
The russian split is where one thrushes out their rump in the air.

To execute a perfect split in the former one has to be especially flexible. Both styles have their place for affect, imo.

Joe