Oscars..thoughts... | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Oscars..thoughts...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is the first time I watched the whole Oscars show without falling asleep. :laugh: :laugh:

One of the best moments for me was that Morgan Freeman won. He is such a class act.

Robin Williams just cracks me up, he is so gifted!!

Finally, almost hearing Josh sing Believe!!! :clap: :clap: I am not sure why Beyonce sang with him but they did ok together. I would have rather heard Josh sing it alone but no one asked my opinion. :laugh:

Dee

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
Were there no other talented singers out there? I got sick of Beyonce.

No Kidding!!! One of our local Canadian reviewers dared aks the question: Was there no one else available to sing besides Beyonce? Could they not have booked Kelly Clarkson or someone? Hey Celine would have been a good choice to sing with Josh Groban. Although, I would have prefered Josh singing that song solo. He sang the song solo in the movie credits.

WAY TOO MUCH BEYONCE!!

equestrianguy

On the Ice
Yes, WAY TOO MUCH, BEYONCE!!!!! LOVED the Madame X dress she arrive at the Oscars in...BUT...What was up with all the jewels she wore for the Phantom of the Opera song? WAY overdone!! I have seen top drag queens wear less jewels! LOL Even make-up was a little over-the-top.
I looked and YES, Charlize Theron stole my mothers 1964 sr prom dress from my attic....lol

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I am so glad that they finally gave an oscar to morgan freeman! I still havent recovered from when he didnt get it for his role in the shawshank redemption (one of the best performances ever in my opinion).

I think Jaime Fox's speech was such an amazing oscar memory, it was heartfelt and personal but also comedic and poinent. I think that Beyonce is pretty freakin talented, did I need to see her sing 3 times? Probably not, but honestly I would rather see her sing a silly song in french then watch someone I've never seen before sing a silly song in french.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Two of many reasons I only watched a few glimpses of the oscars. Chris Rock and Beyonce. :p

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Piel said:
RGal what is your opinion of Beyonce's singing in general (been meaning to ask you that for some time now, BTW)?

She's okay, nothing that blows my mind. With her, it's all about the sex appeal being pushed down your throat. I thought she did a very nice job with the "Phantom" song (but should be strung up for wearing that hideous eye make-up and garish necklace). Why, oh, why did she have to sing with Josh Groban? He should have sung by himself because he should have been allowed that moment alone--although he was out of tune at times, especially in the beginning of the song. There was absolutely no chemistry--vocal or otherwise--in that pairing. (In my opinion, he's a little more than okay. He doesn't move me the way Andrea Bocelli does and it's obvious that he was marketed to be the young American version of Bocelli--right down to the Italian songs! :laugh: )

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RealtorGal said:
although he was out of tune at times, especially in the beginning of the song.

Never!!!!!

Dee

Kasey

Medalist
I was thrilled that I got to see Morgan Freeman win his Oscar before heading out to work! Jamie Foxx winning also was great....He truly BECAME Ray Charles in that movie, and acted the entire film without the use of his eyes...just amazing to me.

Second best thing...Hillary Swank's gracious acceptance speech, and seeing Chad Lowe looking so incredibly proud of his wife...what a sweet couple.

Kasey

brad640

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
He should have sung by himself because he should have been allowed that moment alone--although he was out of tune at times, especially in the beginning of the song. There was absolutely no chemistry--vocal or otherwise--in that pairing. (In my opinion, he's a little more than okay. He doesn't move me the way Andrea Bocelli does and it's obvious that he was marketed to be the young American version of Bocelli--right down to the Italian songs! :laugh: )

I think the opening of that song is in a very odd key and it sounds out of key when he is singing the notes as written. I remember that Oprah did a show about the Polar Express and Josh performed the song there and the opening sounded the same. You could tell Oprah was not impressed with the performance. The recorded version sounds just like his live performances, so I fault the songwriter as much as his performance.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
brad640 said:
I think the opening of that song is in a very odd key and it sounds out of key when he is singing the notes as written. I remember that Oprah did a show about the Polar Express and Josh performed the song there and the opening sounded the same.
I think you are correct about the key, not Josh. Josh is very, very trained and to say blatenly he was out of tune was wrong IMHO but then I am not a trained singer or voice coach. I think this is a very hard song to sing and they may have had to change the key for Beyonce, who knows.
You could tell Oprah was not impressed with the performance. The recorded version sounds just like his live performances, so I fault the songwriter as much as his performance.
I would think Oprah was not impressed with the song choice, not Josh's performance of it. Oprah loves Josh.

Dee

anya_angie

Final Flight
Glen Ballard's songs are hard to sing in tune, look at Kiss From A Rose. But I'm not sure if he had a hand in writing the actual music, or if it was Silvestri. Silvestri is a magnificent score writer. I believe though that this is his first crack at actual songwriting.

brad640

On the Ice
anya_angie said:
Glen Ballard's songs are hard to sing in tune, look at Kiss From A Rose. But I'm not sure if he had a hand in writing the actual music, or if it was Silvestri. Silvestri is a magnificent score writer. I believe though that this is his first crack at actual songwriting.

I think the song was great for the movie because it reflected the disbelief/belief idea from the book in the different moods of the verses and the chorus. In that respect the song was a success, because it was written for the film. I don't think they wrote it with live performance in mind, and I doubt if Josh will be singing it live after this. Also, I think Ballard and Silvestri would have won if they had not mentioned the word "Christmas" in the song. Without that it would have been more of a universal theme of faith rather than "just" a Christmas song.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
I didn't watch it. But I am glad to hear that Cate Blanchett won. I was hoping Kate Winslet would win as well, but that's ok. :) I want to see both Finding Neverland and Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. đź‘Ť

anya_angie

Final Flight
brad640 said:
I think the song was great for the movie because it reflected the disbelief/belief idea from the book in the different moods of the verses and the chorus. In that respect the song was a success, because it was written for the film. I don't think they wrote it with live performance in mind, and I doubt if Josh will be singing it live after this. Also, I think Ballard and Silvestri would have won if they had not mentioned the word "Christmas" in the song. Without that it would have been more of a universal theme of faith rather than "just" a Christmas song.

Too bad. Berlin did an amazing job with White Christmas and also won an Oscar, but that was, what, 50 years ago.