Best/worst skater's outfits | Golden Skate

Best/worst skater's outfits

S

spyralz

Best/worst skater's outfits

COME ON PEOPLE WE ALL CRITIQUE COSTUMES YOU KNOW YOU DO :) DISCLAIMER: THIS is NOT a plushenko bashing site, this is just an opinion I had to get out my opinion to get things started. I would like to hear from Plushy fans on what they think of his costumes.
Plushenko's olympic outfits were too sparkly. That is the kindess way to describe them. in his lp his gloves were sparkly, his collar sparkled everything on his outfit had those tiny rhinestones. The least sparkly outfits in the mens final group, olympic lp were Tim Goebel and Takeshi Honda. I'm not sure how to describe yags outfit in the lp it either sparkled or was just really shiny. sparkly outfits on guys are not attractive. a little is okay but, sometimes the russians, especially plushenko go too far. ~Spyralz

S

spyralz

Re: Best/worst skater's outfits

I really want to have other peoples opinion, please tell me your thoughts. (to all plushenko fans, please don't take offense by what I said if, you disagree tell me why)~spyralz

R

RealtorGal

Plushy

He looks ridiculous and clownish in anything I've ever seen him wear... on ice.

H

heyang

Re: Plushy

There's something flamboyant about the costumes of Russian men - especially compared to American men. Urmanov's winged sleeves with gloves. Come to think of it, all of Mishin's men have worn gloves. Kulik's yellow cow.

E

eliza88

Bad outfits

I don't like what most of the men wear. I have to keep telling myself "it's a theatrical costume" so I can at least enjoy the skate. I agree, a little flash goes a long way--Plushy's costumes are over the top. Urmanov's were too flamboyant (the ruffled collars to the gloves), I don't like Abt's SP outfit from this year OR his gladiator from last year. Funny how Galindo can pull off practically anything he wears! I am now remembering his program where he had a violin sewn on and skated with a bow--just beautiful.

eliza88

I

ik98

Re: Bad outfits

The only explanation I have for Plushie's attire is that he was doing one upmanship to Kulik's yellow cow shirt,LOL. Kulik got noticed, talked about for the shirt, that is, it got him forefront in everyone's mind! Not a bad thing in an Olympic year!

May I add that I detest fake skin on anyone! Anything rag taggy, ice dancers are good at this, is also a turn off of mine.

Of course sometimes culture plays a huge role in what a skater feels comfortable wearing. Does anyone think that Elvis could even bring himself to step on ice wearing Urmanov's swan Lake costume?

J

Jules Asner

Alexei Urmanov's costumes - especially the one he wore in his LP at the Olympics -- are horrendous.

R

rnmsnjd2000

I know a lot of people didn't like Yags Man in the Iron Mask costume but I thought it was very understed compared to alot of the guys costumes. Simple black with a gold mask painted on like a vest. Not Bad. A real improvement over the gladiator breast plate thing. I really liked Tim's simple costume also. Very Gene Kelly. Anyone remember Scott Hamilton skating in a ski suit in 84 because he thought the costumes had become too gaudy. I always remember that when I see a male skater flouncing around.

S

stilldizzy

My opinion, I can't remember a costume of Plenshenko's that was nice. He tends to be "over-the-top" with every one.

I'm sure this is a matter of taste but to me it seems he has a lack of style, absolutely no elegance and redefines "bad taste" as far as fashion goes. Too bad, as I feel this distracts from his performance when you are more focused on "what the heck he's wearing" than how he is skating.

But what a wonderful jumper!

Stilldizzy

D

dlksk8fan

You always hear about who has designed the women's outfits but you never hear about who designs the men's outfits. Is there someone out there that designs men's figure skating outfits? Or are the men on their own. I personally dislike men's costumes that are over the top, too many ruffles, sparkles, gloves, etc. I also don't like men skating in light colored costumes. This only applies to competitons. When someone is competing I think the costume should not distract from the performance. When a skater is doing a exhibition piece I think the costume should be what ever they want it to be but when competing I think it should only enhance the performance not take over it.

dlksk8fan

L

linnylee

Ivan Dinev's costume had to be by far the worst this year. I hate men's costumes that look like they're wearing a bra. Yagudin's mask came really close to this, but somehow just missed the total trashiness of Dinev's. It made me shudder.

J

Jules Asner

Ilia Klimkin -- another one whose costumes I just hate. Plushenko usually goes overboard as well. Todd Eldgredge seems to wear the same 2 outfits nonstop and they are plain but still fairly unattractive.

Best dressed - Bereshnaya & Shikeralidze - G&G - Michelle Kwan - Kurt Browning - Lu Chen - Kristi Yamaguchi

I

ik98

dlksk8fan said:
"You always hear about who has designed the women's outfits but you never hear about who designs the men's outfits."

dlksk8fan who would own up to designing them, LOL!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
linnylee said:
"Ivan Dinev's costume had to be by far the worst this year. I hate men's costumes that look like they're wearing a bra. "

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Also in the terrible costumes thread we would be amiss in leaving out Emanuel sandu!!

A

AD1369

I think it goes back to the "different cultures" discussion. What people wear in Russia (and Europe) will look wired, definitely not normal and probably non-attractive for an American eye. On the other hand Europeans just hate the way how Americans dress themselves. And of course there are people with bad taste everywhere.

AD

N

ncsk8fan2

Browning

I liked Kurt in a white dinner jacket (Casablanca). His Firebird costume was very interesting.

I didn't care for KW's costumes, but she can make a sack cloth bag look good!

Plushy... ew
Yags... indifferent, except the costumes tend to club you over the head with the theme.

IS looks like she's always wearing torn/tattered clothes, maybe to look more flowing.

Of course, up close these outfits look different

A

Arili478

i don't like men's costumes either. they looked so outdated and too sparkled. as for women, i love irina's cowboy costume. it's refreshing to see women skate in pants.

F

FetalAttraction

If Europeans are supposed to have a totally atrocious sense of style as their skaters so ably display, then how come all the top fashionistas of the world are in Europe? Dolce and Gabanna, Versace, Chanel among others, most people would agree they're the pinnacle of fashion. Let's face it, the European skaters wear what they wear because they have no shame. Americans, with their proud Puritan traditions firmly in mind, teach children the joy of shame and the shame of joy at a very young age. Unfortunately, the art has been lost in Europe. Thus European skaters shamelessly display their mangled plumage.

E

eliza88

What about Lobecheva/Averbuch (sp?)? I hate what they wear--fringes and feather-like things hanging off them, like they got themselves sticky and rolled around in remnants and feathers. As if that is not bad enough, they bring their hair into the mix!

favorites: Michelle, B&S, some of Maria's, some of Naomi Langs, Bobek also had some beauties

eliza88

A

AdultSkater

Browning's costumes

Hi ncsk8fan!!!

KB's SP outfit from Lillehammer with the baggy orange harem pants...um...yikes!!!!

Plushy (my Plushy!) wears a horrible get up to MJ for the SP...awful!

Urmanov wearing the rather feminine Swan Lake get up---again...yikes!

Klimkin---another fashion police 10 most wanted member....what are they thinking?

Those are some disasters---think of any more?

AS