Best/worst skater's outfits | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Best/worst skater's outfits

S

spyralz

Re: more

Oh, I forgot about her. Yes, Surya Bonaly, definitley has had some of the worst costumes. I would have to disagree with the person who had a picture of Paul Wylie's 92 olympic SP outfit listed as one they don't like. It's not the best, but it's not covered in sequins so, I wouldn't say it's a bad outfit. Also, I disagree with the person who had one of SH outfits as their worst. To add to my lists

Worst offenders of bad costumes
Surya Bonaly

Hit or miss
Nicole Bobek
Tara Lipinski

G

Grgranny

Most of the time, I really liked Nicole's costumes. Maybe they're more for old ladies? :lol:

S

spyralz

most of the time I like Nicole's dresses too. But, sometimes they don't look right on her. For example, her dresses that have had the short puffy sleeves. She has muscular shoulders IMO and they just make her shoulders look too big.

Keep your thoughts and pictures coming~Spyralz

H

HotIce2

I can't believe that none of you mentioned Galina M of Ukraine's

"I just killed a black crow and rolled naked in the feathers"

European, Olympic, and World
nightmare!
I think it is the ugliest thing I have ever seen!
And count me in as one who does not like S&P's Love Story costumes.
Too plain, too grey, and let's face it, Jamie needed a better bra.
She looked really saggy.

R

rgirl181

Re: costumes: biggest offenders

Hey Canuck,
Re the WASHINGTON POST humor column on skating and the comments sounding as if they came from a bunch of 5-year-olds: I guess when you either live in DC and/or write about what politicians do all the time, a 5-year-old mentality is an asset.

I don't know about MK's SP costume looking like something a Roman Gladiator would wear, but I didn't think the design was flattering on her--and I think that's hard to do with her gorgeous body! But because she has a relatively long torso, the drop-waist makes her legs look short, IMO.

On the other hand, when one sees stars like Gwynneth Paltrow wear the "two eggs sunny-side up" dress she wore to the Oscars, or Bjork in the dead-swan dress of a couple of years ago, one suddenly feels awfully nitpicky ragging on a less-than-flattering skating costume on a wonderful skater.
Rgirl

S

spyralz

I never saw that dress. If I had I probably would have said something though. I would agree although I like the Love story outfits, that the gray top on Jamie was the least flattering part of the costumes.

S

spyralz

Re: costumes: biggest offenders

Another category could be started that would be more positive since, alot of this is bashing of costumes. So, the new category is going to be called: Almost always great (to clarify the skater/couple almost always has a great outfit on.)
The skaters IMO that fit under this category are:
Michelle Kwan
I&Z
Kristi Yamaguchi
Tim Goebel
Angela Nikodinov

C

clairdenoir

I also like

Ina and Zimmerman's LP Olympic costume. The color blue was really flattering.

I really like the gold dress Michelle wore at the Worlds EX even though many seem to dislike it.

S

spyralz

Re: Costumes

Idleracer-those are definitely some of the worst outfits I have ever seen. Especially Todd's. Usually he doesn't wear shiny or sparkly outfits.

C

crazy4michelle

I liked Nicoles costumes, too. But they all basically had the same design - open back, puffy sleeves, short skirt in front and longer in back. Add sequins for the appropriate music selections and done!

I usually like all of Michelles customes, but her EOE from 2001 Worlds was a big MISS.
www.usfsa.org/worlds01/ba...ch2-lg.jpg

S

spyralz

you are correct on Nicole's outfits. I hate the puffy sleeves though. And that dress michelle is wearing in that picture (EOE 2001) one of the worst I've seen her in besides those other pictures on page 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 of this thread.

S

spyralz

To add to both lists of best/worst:

Best
Sarah Hughes-LP (2001)
Angela Nikodinov-LP (2001)
Matt Savoie-LP (2001)
Ina/Zimmerman-LP (2001)
Shen/Zhao-LP (2001)
Sale/Pelletier-LP (2001)

Worst
Alexei Yagudin-LP (2001)
Fedor Andreev-LP (2001)
Chait/Sakhnovsky-OD (2001)
Irina Slutskaya-LP (2001)
Evgeni Plushenko-LP (2001)

Also to add to the other lists:

Worst costume offenders
Chait/Sakhnovski
Fusar-Poli/Margaglio

Almost always great
Ina/Zimmerman

A

away72

If I ruled the (costume) world...

1) NO ONE would wear yellow. Or orange. May be appealed if the color is muted or pastel, but don't get your hopes up.
2) Flesh-colored inserts would be illegal. If the costume needs fabric to stay on, design it that way. If it's to add "body line", use cut and accents. If it's to look sexy, take up exotic dancing instead of figure skating.
3) Vera Wang would be prohibited from designing costumes for anyone with the slightest hope of winning a gold medal.
4) Exhibitions performed under spot lighting cannot use black. Well, that is, if the performance is being filmed for television viewing.
5) No more "ladies must wear skirts". In fact, Irina Slutskaya MUST wear jumpsuits.
6) The number of sequins and/or rhinestones cannot exceed 10 times the age of the skater.
7) To match the "Katarina Witt" rule, there will be a "Evgeny Plushenko" rule. If the costume makes 4 out of 5 audience members squint and frown while trying to figure it out, it's not legal.

OK, I'm an old fuddy-duddy. But a lot of the criticism skating gets, as a sport, focuses on the issue of costumes. For exhibitions and SOI-type performances, anything goes (except, as above, televised black under spots), but for competition, skating won't be taken seriously until the news reports stop including who designed what dress (well, once the judging problems are cleared up).

What, you say it represses self-expression? Skating should be the way a skater expresses him or herself - what he or she wears should complement, not upstage, what the skater is doing on the ice.

Oh, and ice dancers are excepted from all the rules. Because no one takes them seriously anyway.

;)

P

Piel

Re: If I ruled the (costume) world...

The Curse of Vera Wang, good one!

About tights or whatever it is that the ladies are supposed to be wearing under their costumes...several times this season I have seen skaters who have on regular pantyhose not the sheer to the waist ones but the kind that have the heavier/darker panty part that extends down on the thigh like a pair of shorts. Why in the world would skaters at this level do that? Even accounting for tears or runs wouldn't you have a spare pair (at least). This is as bad as the little silver hair clippies (though I think that gymnasts may be worse at this than skaters). Ladies this is your JOB, either grow it out long enought to pull back or cut it off short enough to be out of the way. Naomi, Naomi, Naomi, I love your skating and your costumes are even better than most ice dancers but please keep your hair out of your eyes and mouth. Irina Lobacheva(sp) do ANYTHING but start with some hot oil treatments and get rid of those split ends. I likes the Israeli's FD costumes because they went perfectly with their music which I also liked. Babs FP's FD costume was just too awful for words no self respecting disco diva would even begin to go there but she does get style points for having a good looking partner (OK, from the knees up). A&P's FD...were they really yellow and gray? This was one time that I was kind of hoping it was the TV color that was messed up.

I usually love Michelle's costumes and thought the red one for Sheherezade had the right look to it but the gold insert in the front while beautiful looked like it was thrown in to cover up a too plunging neckline...Vera can do better.

Angela's costumes are beautiful but sometimes they seem almost too delicate looking more like lingerie than a skating costume.

Piel

S

spyralz

Re: If I ruled the (costume) world...

I agree with the person who said that the number of rhinestones should be limited. I know people that rollerskate and they actually have rules in roller skating on the number of stones that can be on the costumes. I don't think that Angela N's dresses. they are not too plain or too flashy. they are just right. A little sparkle and a nice style. The shape of the dress complements her figure. She is one of the few skaters that is able to pick dresses that actually complements her figure.

R

redeggsandham

Re: Best/worst skater's outfits

Okay, here's my two sense.

Does anyone remember Sasha's dress at Skate America 2001? That was my favorite costume of hers ever. To me it had a beautiful elegance with just enough Carmon flair. Comments?

Sarah needs help with her dresses. She thinks pastels look good on her but they don't- they make her skin look cold and clammy. She looks much better in darker, richer colors. I loved the design of her LP dress at SLC but, once again, the color was a pastel blue and didn't look good on her.

Michelle's dresses are always lovely as are Angela's.

R

redeggsandham

Okay, here's my two sense.

Does anyone remember Sasha's dress at Skate America 2001? That was my favorite costume of hers ever. To me it had a beautiful elegance with just enough Carmon flair. Comments?

Sarah needs help with her dresses. She thinks pastels look good on her but they don't- they make her skin look cold and clammy. She looks much better in darker, richer colors. I loved the design of her LP dress at SLC but, once again, the color was a pastel blue and didn't look good on her.

Michelle's dresses are always lovely as are Angela's.

Oh- I hated Sasha's LP dress at 2002 World's. Gross!

S

spyralz

redeggsandham-I agree that Sarah looks better in darker colors. For example, her dress for 2000 LP. It was red and with other colors but, IMO she looks really great in red. I also agree that Michelle and Angela most of the time have lovely dresses. I also agree that Sasha's 2002 world's dress was hideous. I really wish as I have said before that she had stuck with her 2002 national dress.