Ray - Somewhat Disappointing... | Golden Skate

Ray - Somewhat Disappointing...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Movie was well done and Jamie Foxx certainly earned his Oscar, but for the most part I felt somewhat disappointed in Ray (the man himself) by discovering he was a drug addict and a womanizer. Facts, I did not need to know.
The movie did not move me the way Finding Neverland did. Call me "sentimental."

Kasey

Medalist
How funny....I think movies are like skating, everyone has different opinions! :) Because I thought "Ray" was much more moving, to me, than "Finding Neverland", although I liked that one very much too. I am always impressed with "real" people, warts and all, who overcome obstacles in life....I think "Ray" showed me that more than "Neverland" did.

But "Hotel Rwanda" kicks butt over both of those in that category! Just a plug...GO SEE THIS MOVIE! :)

(Sorry, just the "Crusader" in me coming out)

Kasey

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Lad, what I find interesting is that you never knew Ray's story. Even I knew that and he's way earlier than *my* generation...

What I hated about the movie was how he was used by so many... not saying that made it a bad movie, but it made me mad.

Gotta really respect his wife... she didn't have to stick it out, but she did...

OOHHHHHHH, AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The scene where he fell as a child and his mother did not help him up was very moving to me. You could see that everything in her wanted to comfort her child but she refrained from doing so in order to help him become self reliant. Also, when he left home to go to the school for the blind and when his brother drowned had me in tears too. I can't begin to imagine how difficult it was to have to put up with the racism and being blind. When I watch that I feel so ashamed that my fellow human beings can be so cruel. Again, I was in tears but from anger. Ray made so much great music, LOVED the "What'd I Say" scene and the seeing the joy he got from making his music.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Kasey said:
How funny....I think movies are like skating, everyone has different opinions! :) Because I thought "Ray" was much more moving, to me, than "Finding Neverland", although I liked that one very much too. I am always impressed with "real" people, warts and all, who overcome obstacles in life....I think "Ray" showed me that more than "Neverland" did.

But "Hotel Rwanda" kicks butt over both of those in that category! Just a plug...GO SEE THIS MOVIE! :)

(Sorry, just the "Crusader" in me coming out)

Kasey

Actually Finding Neverland was about the author who wrote Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie and it was "real" - the journey he went through to write his famous story.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
Lad, what I find interesting is that you never knew Ray's story. Even I knew that and he's way earlier than *my* generation...

What I hated about the movie was how he was used by so many... not saying that made it a bad movie, but it made me mad.

Gotta really respect his wife... she didn't have to stick it out, but she did...

OOHHHHHHH, AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Ray Charles was a little ahead of my time, but his music was still popular and he became a music legend. I was more of aware of Ray Charles in his older years so never heard any background on his earlier life except that he became blind as a child. The movie never really explained why he went blind.

"Gotta really respect his wife...she didn't have to stick it out, but she did..." I don't know her part was not really developed that much. How much of that relationship was true to life the movie does not address.

Ladskater said:
The movie never really explained why he went blind.
I think it did mention that his blindness was caused by glaucoma. But the movie made it seem like in Ray's mind he might have thought it was punishment for letting his brother drown.

MM

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Larry, I thought it was due to the "medicine" the doctor gave his mother... he kept saying it hurt to put it on his eyes, and I wonder if that had something to do with it, but I'm not sure...

Lad, I don't think they were looking to change Ray's story all that much. Considering he was there on the set for most of the shooting I can't see how they'd get around changing things around, and the way "Bee" was played out if anything they downplayed how much she knew was going on...

Kasey

Medalist
Ladskater said:
Actually Finding Neverland was about the author who wrote Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie and it was "real" - the journey he went through to write his famous story.

I know it was "real" and I know the story. What I meant by what I said is that I appreciate real people struck by adversity or obstacles and overcoming them. To me, "Ray" defined that more as a film than "Neverland". Both were great movies.

Kasey