Who was the first? | Golden Skate

Who was the first?

millie

Medalist
Who was the first:

Madge Myers, first lady figure skater to enter Men's World FigureSkating Championships, 1902, came in second.

Dick Button was the first skater to do a double axel, tripple tripple loop and the flying camel spin.

Can you name any other firsts?

Antilles

Medalist
First triple lutz, Donald Jackson. First triple Axel, Vern Taylor. I believe the first triple axel combination was Brian Orser. First quad, Kurt Browning, first quad combo, and first quad-triple, Elvis Stojko.

First American to do the quad, Timothy Goebel. I believe he was also the first to do three quads in a program. First lady triple axel, Midori Ito, First lady Quad, Miki Ando. I think the Zhangs were the first officially credited with the quad twist, and another Chinese pair the first throw quad (Can't remember their names. I believe they are China's number 4 team).

Hermione_Granger

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan was the first (and only) skater to win back to back
Worlds in different millenniums (2000 & 2001). :yes:

Lu Chen was the first women's Olympic medalist from China.

Yuka Sato was Japan's first medalist at a World Championships.

Shen & Zhao were the first pairs team ever to win Worlds and
medal at the Olympics for China.

Alexei Yagudin was the first man to receive 6.0's at the Olympics
for both short and long programs. (Maybe somebody can correct
me if I'm wrong. :) )

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Also, Figure Skating originated in the mid 19th Century.

The ISU was founded in 1892.

Ladies first competition was in 1906, Pairs in 1908.

On March 20, 1914, the first international Figure Skating Competition was held in New Haven, Connecticut which was the ancestor of the U.S. and Canadian Championships. The International competition was interupted by WWI.

First World Championships for men only was held in 1896.

trainer

Spectator
Who was the first:

Michelle Kwan was the first skater to regain the World title 3x's.

Hermione_Granger said:
Michelle Kwan was the first (and only) skater to win back to back Worlds in different millenniums (2000 & 2001). :yes:
:rofl: I congratulate your professors at Hogwart's for teaching such accurate numbering skills. Alas, we all celebrated the turn of the millenium a year early. Oh well.

MM:)

Fossi

Final Flight
:rock: Sarah Hughes was the FIRST WOMAN to land TWO 3/3 combos in the Olympics. :clap: And they say the American ladies haven't pushed the sport?
I believe she's also the first American lady to win Olympics WITHOUT a National or World title.

S

SkateFan4Life

Midori was the first woman to land the triple axel at the World Championships in 1989, and that year she became the first Japanese woman to win a World title.

Tonya Harding was the first American woman to land a triple axel at the US Nationals in 1991 (which she won) and at the Worlds (where she finished second).

This is premature, but I predict that next year Michelle Kwan will become the first woman to win ten US championships. :clap:

In 1991, Kristi Yamaguchi and Kurt Browning became the first singles skaters to win World Championships without the compulsory school figures.

At the 1982 World Championships, Elaine Zayak became the first woman to land six triple jumps in the long program - a performance that propelled her to the World title.

mememe

On the Ice
Brian Boitano was the first skater to land all six kinds of triples in one program at the world championships (1983)

When did Brian Orser land the first triple axel combination? I know Alexander Fadeev was landing triples axels (and I think combinations) quite early and Boitano had a 3 axel-double toe at 1982 U.S. nationals.

Nice educational thread! I don't know any firsts, but am curious if anyone knows who did the first back flip, even tho it's not allowed in eligible competition. I assume the first lady to do it and also to land it on 1 foot would be Surya Bonaly?

nicole_l

Final Flight
A couple that probably everyone know:

First salchow, Ulrich Salchow
First axel, Axel Paulsen
First loop, Ritterburgh (Did I spell that right?)

A.H.Black

Final Flight
First Triple Axel ever seen in public - David Jenkins - Exhibitions at 1960 Olympics. I'm still hoping to see film of this someday. I know some exists.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
First ever Ice Dance Olympic Gold - Ludmila Pakhomova and Alexandr Gorshkov.

The Salchow:
- Theresa Weld Blanchard - who was the 1st ever woman to do ANY kind of jump in a competition - did it in 1920 Olympics.
- Cecelia Colledge performed a first ever double jump by a woman in 1937
- Ronnie Robertson was the first to do a triple sal in 1955

The Lutz:
- Alois Lutz shoed the lutz in 1913

The Loop:
Werner Rittberger did the 1st loop in 1910
Karl Shafer did a double in 1925 (practice)
Dick Button did a triple in 1952 Olympics (1st ever triple of any kind)

First movie picture about the Ice skating: The Frozen Warning (1917)

Yana

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
NJSk8Fan said:
Nice educational thread! I don't know any firsts, but am curious if anyone knows who did the first back flip, even tho it's not allowed in eligible competition. I assume the first lady to do it and also to land it on 1 foot would be Surya Bonaly?
1st backflip in competition, I believe, was Terry Kubicka back in the 70s, I could be wrong though

trains

On the Ice
Petra Burka was the first woman to do a triple salchow.
Ede Kirely of Hungary actually did the first double axel. It was the same competition where Dick Button did his, and Ede skated before him. Dick got all the media, however.

screech

Final Flight
mememe said:
When did Brian Orser land the first triple axel combination? I know Alexander Fadeev was landing triples axels (and I think combinations) quite early and Boitano had a 3 axel-double toe at 1982 U.S. nationals.

Brian Orser was the first person to land a triple axel combination in competition. Not just triple axel. It was another Canadian (I forget his name) to land the first triple axel in competition.

Alexei Yagudin was the first skater to be placed 1st by all judges in all portions of the competition at the Olympics (QR, SP, LP).

At Worlds 2002 Alexei became the only person to ever receive a 6.0 for technical merit in the SP.

Ilia Kulik was the first person to win the Olympics with a quad.

Kurt Browning - 1st quad in competition, Elvis Stojko - 1st quad combo in competition, Emanuel Sandhu - 1st triple/triple/triple combination (triple toe/triple toe/triple toe at a pro-am, otherwise it wouldn't have been acceptable, but there it was)

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I am quite impressed by everyone's knowledge and how far back it spans...even moreso if this is from your brain and not a quick serach on the internet :yes:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Tonya Harding was the first to be stripped of a national title
Debi Thomas and Bobby Beauchamp both became the first African Americans to win medals internationally (Debi as the 86 world champ, and Bobby as the 1978 junior world silver medalist); Debi is also the first African American woman to win a medal in the Winter Olympics (the first gold medalist was Vonetta Flowers, a bobsledder)

Cherkasova and Shakhrai performed the first quad twist during their long program in the 1977 Europeans (not ratified; she was twelve, and he was eighteen)

Eric Millot landed the first triple loop/triple loop at the 1996 World championships

Grischuk and Platov became the first Olympic ice dance champions to repeat.

Tim Goebel landed the first ever quad salchow (Surya's was never ratified in 1989)

Alexei Urmanov became the first person competing for Russia to win a singles' gold medal.

Cecilia Cooledge invented both the camel and the layback

Marina Kielmann became the first person to win both the roller skating nationals and the ice skating nationals in her home country of Germany (she was better at roller skating, having been the two-time world silver medalist there; her best finish in ice skating was a fifth, i believe, in 1996...she plummeted from there)

Artur Dmitriev became the first man to win two gold medals in pairs with two different partners; obviously, the first woman to do this was Irina Rodnina.