Who was the first? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who was the first?

Last team to win the U.S. championship in Fours (1991): Elaine Asanakis, Calla Urbanski, Rocky Marval and Joel McKeever.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
Dick Button was the first and only American to ever win the European Championships - after which someone must have looked at a globe and came to the stunning realization that the USA is not part of Europe and thus excluded Americans from future European Championships.

competitions.http://www.jacksonskates.com/html/jumphist.html

This web site lists a lot of firsts...

icenut84

Final Flight
First 3loop-3loop by a woman: Tara Lipinski
First 3lutz-3loop by a woman: Irina Slutskaya
First 3axel-3loop: Alexander Abt (I think?)
First person to win a major title representing Ukraine: Oksana Baiul
First to get a straight set of sixes in major international competition: Torvill & Dean (and the only?)
First backflip by a woman: Surya Bonaly (though against the rules)
First 3axel by a woman: Midori Ito
First 3axel in combo by a woman: Midori Ito
First 3axel-3toe by a woman: Midori ito :rock:
First 6.0 in a compulsory dance: Torvill & Dean
First quad-triple-double: Evgeni Plushenko
First quad-triple-triple: Evgeni Plushenko

Didn't Midori also land the first 3-3 of any kind by a woman? IIRC it was a 3toe-3toe when she was about 12!

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
miki_tan said:
Minoru Sano won Bronze at 1977 Worlds.

He was the first Japanese skater to win any kind of medal. Emi Watanabe was the first Japanese lady to win a world medal (Bronze in 1979).

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

millie

Medalist
Barbara Ann Scott at age 13, in 1942, became the first female to ever land a double lutz in competition.

In 1947 she became the first North American to win the European and World Figure Skating Championships.

In 1948 Winter Olympics in St.Moritz, Switzerland she became the first Canadian to win a gold medal in figure skating.

mememe

On the Ice
screech said:
Brian Orser was the first person to land a triple axel combination in competition. Not just triple axel. It was another Canadian (I forget his name) to land the first triple axel in competition.\

I would still like to know when Brian Orser landed the first triple axel combination in competition. I have been through his book and can't find him mentioning a triple axel combination early in his career -- he mentions Fadeev doing a triple axel-double toe loop at 1984 NHK, but nothing about himself doing one, and I've seen Boitano's triple axel combination at 1982 U.S. Nationals. I'm really curious to know how much earlier than that Orser landed the first triple axel combination in competition. (Vern Taylor was the Canadian who landed the first triple axel in competition, at 1978 worlds, and as mentioned, I think, Donald Jackson, another Canadian, landed the first triple lutz at 1962 Worlds, I believe.)

Frau Muller

Final Flight
Midori Ito skated the first triple-triple combo of any kind, by a woman, as a tiny tot (age 11 or 12).

millie

Medalist
Ulrich Salchow, in1909 first landed a jump in competition in which he took off on the back edge, and landed on the back outside edge of his other foot. This jump is now known a the salchow.
He also shares record with Sonja Henie, who also won ten titles.

Matt

On the Ice
Guo Zhengxin (definitely sp?) of China was the first person to land a quad at Olympics (4toe-1998) and the first person to land two quads in a programme at the Olympics (also 1998--same programme)

Alexei Yagudin was the first man to win an OGM with two quads in his programme

Kevin van der Perren (Belgium) was the first to land a 3sal-3toe-3loop combo (also first Belgian medalist since 1947--2002 Junior Worlds)

The 2003 World Ice Dance podium (I believe) was the first to not include a Russian team since the inclusion of ice dance as a World Championship discipline (1. ITA 2. FRA 3. LTU)

Excidra2001

On the Ice
Fossi said:
Wasn't Irina's 3lutz/3loop cheated?

To an extent, but It was ratified by the ISU.

First 3/3/2 by any Female-Irina Slutskaya
First 2 3/3s in competiton by a woman-Irina Slutskaya
First 6.0(for tech) earned by a woman-Midori Ito(followed by Slutskaya's 6.0)
First North-American ice-dancers to win world title-Bourne and Kraatz
First 3sal/3toe by woman-Irina Slutskaya

nysk8r

Rinkside
The 2003 World Ice Dance podium (I believe) was the first to not include a Russian team since the inclusion of ice dance as a World Championship discipline (1. ITA 2. FRA 3. LTU)

Are you thinking of another year? The 2003 podium in ice dancing was
1. Canada (Bourne & Kraatz)
2. Russia ( The Loverbuhks)
3. Bulgaria (Denkova & Staviski)

Perhaps it was 2000 or 2001?

ETA: The first married woman to win a world champoinship- Irina Slutskaya

Last edited:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
nysk8r said:
Are you thinking of another year? The 2003 podium in ice dancing was
1. Canada (Bourne & Kraatz)
2. Russia ( The Loverbuhks)
3. Bulgaria (Denkova & Staviski)

Perhaps it was 2000 or 2001?

ETA: The first married woman to win a world champoinship- Irina Slutskaya

It was 2000, when Anissina and Peizerat won. Lobachova and Averbukh finished 4th that year.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
thisthingcalledlove said:
It was 2000, when Anissina and Peizerat won. Lobachova and Averbukh finished 4th that year.

That is correct -- however, that was NOT the first year that Russians were not on the podium in World Dance. Dance was made a Worlds event in 1952; the first Russian medal was not until 1969. (It just SEEMS like they've been on the podium forever.... :biggrin: )

Also, I'm not altogether sure that Irina is the first married woman to be World champion, tho she might be the first one since WWII. I believe that Madge Syers was a married lady when she won in 1906, and at one point Herma Planck-Szabo (1924 Olympic champion) became Herma Jaross-Szabo in the midst of her 5 Worlds wins in the '20s.

My contribution -- first quad ATTEMPT at US Nationals -- Mark Cockerell in 1982.