Two U.S. Ice Dancing Teams Announce End of Partnerships | Golden Skate

Two U.S. Ice Dancing Teams Announce End of Partnerships

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Thanks to Paula for posting the link on the front goldenskate.com page.

Kendra and Brent call their partnership off, and the shocker (at least to me): Mannon and O'Meara.

So the debate whether Lydia and Ryan place at the top 6 is settled.

Yana

PS - once again, the US ice dancing does it again. Comes the Nationals and you wonder, who are these people? Would I see them again next year?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't understand why Manon and O'Meara split... they seemed to work so well together :(

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
And the second team breaking up is Goodwin & Bommetre! That's #4 and #6 teams in the country!! Mannon & O'Meara is especially upsetting. :mad:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I'm disappointed that these teams have split. I thought both had promise. And Manon & O'Meara, especially, were just starting to become successful, so I don't understand why they would split. At Nationals this year I was so excited about the future of U.S. dance, and now 2 of the top 6 teams have already broken up!

To me, this is yet another example of how U.S. dance and pairs teams tend to give up too quickly. Instead of working on their partnerships and giving them time to grow, they just drop them and move on when they don't achieve instant success.

Both these teams should take note of how Belbin & Agosto gave their partnership time to develop and flourish. And look at the results!

Very sad news re both teams. Is there any reasons for the splits? Will they go separate ways with new partners? Will any of them just disappear from skating all together?

Joe

nicole_l

Final Flight
Will they go separate ways with new partners? Will any of them just disappear from skating all together?

There's a rumor that Lydia Manon is partnering with Brandon Forsyth, who's her boyfriend.

njtoddfan

Rinkside
I was surprised to hear about Manon and O'Meara too. Watching them the other night on 4CC's... they seem to have some great promise. Next year being the Olympics, they had a great shot at making the team, considering 2 of the top 4 teams at Nationals this year are ineligible. Have they been together very long???

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
No, I will not allow the double standard

For years, men have often been chastized for making important decisions with their "Johnsons". Well, I won't allow an unfair double standard, so I will say this:

If the rumors about Lydia dumping her partner Ryan after a US medal and a berth on the Olympic team with good performances next year being a certainty to skate with her boyfriend, a partner-less Ice Dancer, then she is thinking with her "Mrs. Johnson".

If I were Ryan, and I lost a probable trip to the Olympics because my partner dumped me to skate with someone who is putting his Fox Trot in her Cha-Cha, I would be devastated and feel completely betrayed.

If the rumor is true, then I am no fan of someone like Lydia, who is following her Cha-Cha instead of being a good ice dance partner and sticking with a partner who deserves a shot at success as much as she. She has stolen that from him, all for Brandon and his partner-less Fox Trot.

If it is true, she did a horrible, hurtful thing to Ryan that could negatively impact on his life forever (lost chance to skate at the Olympics). Why should anyone root for her to do well knowing she is capable of using and hurting someone all for her own gain (Cha-Cha).

Partners DO owe each other respect and committment, just like a marriage without romance, and to leave like this is akin to adultery and divorce, especially in the way it makes the dumped partner feel.

I feel very sorry for Ryan and his lost chance to skate at the 2006 Olympics.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Frau Muller said:
Hopefully we'll see Manon back on the ice soon, with another partner! :rock:

Why? She isn't all that.

And why do you focus solely on her?

Hopefully we will see Ryan back on the ice soon, with another partner, and Lydia will fade in obscurity.

pairfan

Rinkside
ChiSk8Fan said:
For years, men have often been chastized for making important decisions with their "Johnsons". Well, I won't allow an unfair double standard, so I will say this:

If the rumors about Lydia dumping her partner Ryan after a US medal and a berth on the Olympic team with good performances next year being a certainty to skate with her boyfriend, a partner-less Ice Dancer, then she is thinking with her "Mrs. Johnson".

If I were Ryan, and I lost a probable trip to the Olympics because my partner dumped me to skate with someone who is putting his Fox Trot in her Cha-Cha, I would be devastated and feel completely betrayed.

If the rumor is true, then I am no fan of someone like Lydia, who is following her Cha-Cha instead of being a good ice dance partner and sticking with a partner who deserves a shot at success as much as she. She has stolen that from him, all for Brandon and his partner-less Fox Trot.

If it is true, she did a horrible, hurtful thing to Ryan that could negatively impact on his life forever (lost chance to skate at the Olympics). Why should anyone root for her to do well knowing she is capable of using and hurting someone all for her own gain (Cha-Cha).

Partners DO owe each other respect and committment, just like a marriage without romance, and to leave like this is akin to adultery and divorce, especially in the way it makes the dumped partner feel.

I feel very sorry for Ryan and his lost chance to skate at the 2006 Olympics.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
LOVED it !!!!!!!!!!

Matt

On the Ice
?!?!?!?!

The split of both of these teams surprises me...Manon/O'Meara especially (I think it's a little early for Fox Trot and Cha-Cha theories :rofl: ) as they medalled at Nats this year, but Goodwin/Bommentre were one of my favourites.

It seems that a lot of US ice dance couples are splitting up and reforming with each other (if Forsyth and Manon hook up, I think that will be Forsyth's fourth partner at the very least). Maybe with one spot open for that Olympic team next year(assuming Belbin/Agosto don't get citizenship in time, and a legal Gregory/Petukhov pretty much guaranteed a spot) , it will cause some of these ice dancers to form within themselves, instead of going for Russian partners with eligibility restrictions ;)

brad640

On the Ice
ChiSk8Fan said:
Hopefully we will see Ryan back on the ice soon, with another partner, and Lydia will fade in obscurity.

I agree. I thought Ryan was the stronger side of the team. He has great posture and presentation. I think it is pretty rotten for her to dump him like that, and not very smart considering the Olympics are in less than a year.

From the article:
“After much consideration I decided that Ryan and I should go our separate ways, primarily because we have different long-term goals,”

How can their "long-term goals" be that different? What are they trying to accomplish besides moving up in the ranks and getting to the Olympics. I could understand if she had said they had different philosophies, but to say she dumped him because of different goals sounds disingenuous.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Matt said:
The split of both of these teams surprises me...Manon/O'Meara especially (I think it's a little early for Fox Trot and Cha-Cha theories :rofl: ) as they medalled at Nats this year, but Goodwin/Bommentre were one of my favourites.

I also like Godwin/Bommentre a lot! too bad to hear that these two teams decided to split. :cry:

sk8m8

Final Flight
...and these things can get so ugly. Once she told him she was going ,did he call her a big ole' Sal-cow, did she threaten to kick him in the Lutz? Maybe he tried to Flip her off. She would, of course, have had to kick his "Toe" with her pick. I bet it threw them both for a Loop. It was Axel-ly horrible. He, wounded, his Wally abandoned. She, angry, trying to shore up her Falling Leaf. After that, you guessed it; a dark dark Spiral. Other couples should Layback and take a note. So when your partner's instructions to you are Sit,Spin and Spread Eagle, you may want to take a moment before you do like like Maya and her ex when they pulled a Russian Split (though some have questioned his ethnicity and claimed later it was an Arabian.) Take a moment, Charlotte! It may be time to Crossover, but don't make it a bitter Triple Twist Split with plenty of Runout, rather Twizzle off into the sunset. He may think he Cant-e-liever, but he'll learn how to climb back up on that ole' Flying Camel, or else it'll be a Death Drop. :cry:

Good comments Sk8m8. :)

I take it no one knows anything more about the splits except they split. If I stayed tuned will someone come up with what they plan to do.

Joe

Linny

Final Flight
Can't say as I blame them

When you skate with someone, day in day out, you've really got to care deeply for them. Whether that involves an off-ice romance or not depends largely on the individual. If a skater wants both on-ice chemistry and off-ice romance, they may have to change partners a few times to find the right Prince/Princess.

I met my husband in just such a situation. We were certainly not Olympic hopefuls, but our marriage has outlasted our skating days. So I can't say as I blame a couple for splitting over this.

Wish it wasn't so, hope it's not so for Belbin and Augusta, but it can certainly be a factor for many.

Linny