So......... | Golden Skate

So.........

icy fresh

On the Ice
So, what has everyone been up to lately? How's the skating? Does anyone have a show or competition coming up? I'd love to hear how everyone here at the forums are doing!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hi Icy Fresh!

Starting next week I will be starting lessons once again after being coachless for about 4 months.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I've been missing due to changing jobs, going from full time clinical practice to full time work in medical education, my other specialty. My first job did not work out-there was a change in leadership prior to my starting and the job turned out way different than what was expected. I'm taking a breather, doing some consulting work while I take my time in looking for another full time situation in the field.

My skating has been up and down. I had to cancel a lot of lessons due to the hectic schedule at that previous job; however, my skating has improved. My coach and I took a good look at my skating after the Halloween Classic, where I placed last in both events, No Test Elements and Freestyle. While all my elements were very solid, my basic skating wasn't--and we figured that strongly affected my results, especially the fact that I was just plain slow out there. We broke everything down again, stroking, crossovers, all the basics, and worked on my speed. With her encouragement, I also started ice dancing lessons, and it was a wonderful move. My ice dance coach is sharp, funny and very positive, and between her work with me and that of my freestyle coach, my "skating" has massively improved. My speed is better, my edging is light years improved, and I finally stroke like a real skater, not a pokey old turtle. I also do a fairly good Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango!!! :clap:

My "tricks" are a bit of a standstill, with my one foot spin pretty much gone--back to the drawing board for that one, same with toeloop. I'm still a No Test/ISI FS2 skater, but despite not skating anywhere near as much as usual from November through mid-February, I'm a much better skater overall. I'll be competing at one of our local ISI comps next Sunday, along with judging. I'm doing Footwork, Artistic, Stroking, and for fun, we're going to have a solo dance event with Canasta Tango. I've asked to be put in with the teens on that one if they're OK with it. This will be a fun competition, and I look forward to it. I'm enjoying skating again, something that I'd lost a little with my recent job situation and the stress that accompanied it, and my energy level is finally coming back to normal. It feels good to fly down the ice once more!!!

Shall we get the weekly practice threads going again next week? I'm up for it again if you all are. I've really missed everyone here.

Best to all,

Yaz

Last edited:

Petlover

On the Ice
You know how kids and dogs always make liars out of you? Well, let's my change foot spin in the same category. Yesterday morning it started going south again, so I decided to ask my coach to "fix it" this morning - well this morning, it was fabulous with 3+ revolutions on the back spin every time! My coach was "Like what's the problem - it's great!".

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Petlover said:
You know how kids and dogs always make liars out of you? Well, let's my change foot spin in the same category. Yesterday morning it started going south again, so I decided to ask my coach to "fix it" this morning - well this morning, it was fabulous with 3+ revolutions on the back spin every time! My coach was "Like what's the problem - it's great!".
Been there, done that! It's one of the Laws of Skating. However, had you got a great change-foot in practice and decided to show it off to your coach - guess what would have happened!

GordonSk8erBoi

Rinkside
I'm still trying to prep to take the Adult Pre-Bronze Moves test in May. I'm also working on my waltz jump -- just learned to do one from a "real" entrance yesterday in my lesson, so I'm pretty stoked about that!

We have a competition at our rink this weekend so I'll be there an outrageous number of hours. Not competing myself yet, but maybe next year.

icer

Rinkside
Hi Everyone!

I got back on the ice for the first time in 3 months TODAY (so nice timing on this thread for me). I had been crazy with work, travel, jury duty, and a very bad case of the flu that hang with me for a long time... so not only no skating, virtually no exercise. I knew I was weak, but I was shocked at my lack of strength, flexibility, and skating ability. Still, I was really happy to be back on the ice- slow, tentative, whatever- I got finally myself there and had a great time.

Next few months will also be crazy, but hoping I can skate at least a little before really having time to re-commit.

They are changing the adult pre-bronze moves to include a waltz 8 instead of the alternating FO and FI 3's- I think it goes into affect in September. The waltz 8 is pretty easy for me, and while I conquered the 3's a few months ago, I was back to an awkward stage with them today. Part of me would really like to push to take the test before the change to force myself to really get those 3 turns down (and part of me is really relieved they're going). Not sure if I can get enough ice time to take the test before September.

I CAN still spin. Not much power or speed today, but could still do the rotations. Whew. Not entirely back to square one.

I miss the old threads, and while I may not be skating much myself, I'll enjoy chearing all of you on.

icy fresh

On the Ice
Yes I miss the weekly threads as well.

As for me and my skating, there's a lot going on. I'm working on more doubles and as you can imagine it is frusturating. But I'm sticking with it and I know my hard work will eventually pay off. My new program is going well too. Most of it is choreographed, I just have about :45 seconds left. I'm adding in my doubles, new spins that I've never performed in a competition before, plus hard quick footwork. So I'm happy that the program is a challenge for me already. My moves are looking okay. Definitely not ready this month, but I'm going to try in May. That's the goal. My dances are not test ready either. My coach says that they won't for a long time, but I always seem to find a way to prove her wrong. My Ice Castles program is going well I guess. The other day a mother of girl who recently started skating at one of the rinks said it was just lovely. It's nice to know that people watch me even if I'm not their child.

Well that's a wrap!

Last edited:

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
I am not competing but working on our Spring Show, (skating and sewing costumes).

I wanted to go to Annapolis today and watch some of our club's skaters compete, but my daughter's school play was in full swing this weekend so that was wrecked. Hopefully, I will get to see the videos.
I'm finally starting to feel like a real bona-fide skater since my scratch spin is finally coming together! Now I have to get my mohawks working.....