Ladies - Free Program - Notes | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Ladies - Free Program - Notes

Frau Muller

Final Flight
SPECTACULAR!!!! WOWEEEE for Mao Asada & Yu-Na Kim!!! Excellent showing for Emily Hughes, too! :rock:

Poor Kimmie...

Now I'm dying to see this on TV. I wish that it would be shown in the US, as in years past.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
The T Ax was something else. It's so smooth and clean, if you didn't look carefully you'd swear she did a double. Mao is just awesome. Emily Hughes had the skate of her life to get that bronze. If Kimmie had been clean, I think she would have beaten her. Emily does not have Sarah's grace but she did it when it mattered and you have to give her props for that.

I want Mira working on her basic skating skills. Her TCS was very good but the PCS components were all still high 4's or low 5's.

Doggygirl said:
BUT...I've been shaking my head since US Nationals thinking the media is really premature with the hype. I'm looking forward to some good rivalries in the years to come.DG
DG - What media? I read the sportspages, I even watch cable for baseball, I have read or heard nothing about Kimmie other than a mention that she landed a 3A. I did hear a lot of praise from fans, if that's what you mean? I think Figure Skating as a sport has limited appeal in the US. Maybe from Christine Brennan?

Joe

Laura_B

Rinkside
After Tara Lipinski, I'll admit that I was happy with the restriction that you have to be 16 to compete at worlds or the Olympics, but now looking at Mao's scores I'm not so sure I like that rule anymore...I'd really like to see Mao and the other girls compete at the senior level with the likes of Michelle, Irina, Sasha, etc. I understand why the rule was put in place, but now I'm thinking more that if you're at or above the level of people older than you, you should be allowed to compete with them. I also understand that these girls might not have the presentation skills or international experience as some of the senior ladies, but I think that it would make for an interesting competition, and I think that the likes of Mao Asada would really push some of the senior ladies (I really want to see her triple axel!). I'm also worried that as she gets older and matures she might lose her triple axel/jumping abilities, or get injured and peak before she ever really had a chance to be noticed much on the international senior scene (sort of like Naomi Nari Nam). What do you guys think?

Lucy25

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
DG - What media? I read the sportspages, I even watch cable for baseball, I have read or heard nothing about Kimmie other than a mention that she landed a 3A. I did hear a lot of praise from fans, if that's what you mean? I think Figure Skating as a sport has limited appeal in the US. Maybe from Christine Brennan?

Joe

In an article for JR Worlds, Kimmie's coach said that since Nationals Kimmie has had some media attenion every day until just a week before the competition when he cut it off. She was on quite a few news programs nationally, and probably many more locally. Not to mention all the print interviews she gave. Her coach said that she really had only one week of full training! I am bewildered as to why he would allow this. I hope they both have learned a lesson from it.

purplecat said:
I believe ladies have to do a double axel in their long programs.
Both men and ladies are required to have an axel type jump in their programs. Anything will do: waltz jump, single, double, triple, quadruple, etc.

A 3salchow would mean a little more points for Asada but maybe she doesn't like that jump and prefers to go for an easy 2axel. And she is winning everything by a huge margin anyway, so it's not like she needs it.

Unless injuries or other problems happen, 2010 Olys could have a very interesting battle for the gold between the amazing Kim and Asada. They're both such extraordinary talents!

Laura_B said:
After Tara Lipinski, I'll admit that I was happy with the restriction that you have to be 16 to compete at worlds or the Olympics, but now looking at Mao's scores I'm not so sure I like that rule anymore...I'd really like to see Mao and the other girls compete at the senior level with the likes of Michelle, Irina, Sasha, etc. I understand why the rule was put in place, but now I'm thinking more that if you're at or above the level of people older than you, you should be allowed to compete with them. I also understand that these girls might not have the presentation skills or international experience as some of the senior ladies, but I think that it would make for an interesting competition, and I think that the likes of Mao Asada would really push some of the senior ladies (I really want to see her triple axel!). I'm also worried that as she gets older and matures she might lose her triple axel/jumping abilities, or get injured and peak before she ever really had a chance to be noticed much on the international senior scene (sort of like Naomi Nari Nam). What do you guys think?
You have to be 15 by preceding June (or was that July?) and the whole point with rules (and law in general) is that you cannot choose and pick and change it just because someone good comes along.

Laura_B

Rinkside
Oh, it's 15? I thought it was 16, thanks for clarifying! I know you can't change a rule just because someone good comes along, but I can still wish!

hongligl

Final Flight
Congratulations, Emily! That was great achievement for the first appearance!

I saw Mao's video once, the japeness nationals. She was great. Can't wait to see it on TV. It is a pity she is not old enough for the Olympics. By the time of next olympics she might pass her peak age. She's mature enough not to take advantage of a junior's body shape so it would be fair for her to compete with other senior girls. Her presentation is good too.

Fossi

Final Flight
Yay for Emily Hughes! Another of the AWESOME Hughes girls getting the respect they deserve from International judges. I suspect Emily will have the same fights Sarah did. She basically got passed over at US Nationals, but the International judges scored her much better. Props Emily. You will shine in the future, just like Sarah. Never, ever, ever count out the Hughes girls! :clap:

Now, why does everyone think Mao Asada would be able to compete with the senior girls like Michelle and Irina, and possibly beat them? Did she WIN Japanese Nationals or something? What did I miss? I keep reading she's the "next" Michelle Kwan. Well, last time I checked Michelle was still here.
Is Mao THAT good?

ks777

Record Breaker
Fossi said:
Yay for Emily Hughes! Another of the AWESOME Hughes girls getting the respect they deserve from International judges. I suspect Emily will have the same fights Sarah did. She basically got passed over at US Nationals, but the International judges scored her much better. Props Emily. You will shine in the future, just like Sarah. Never, ever, ever count out the Hughes girls! :clap:

Now, why does everyone think Mao Asada would be able to compete with the senior girls like Michelle and Irina, and possibly beat them? Did she WIN Japanese Nationals or something? What did I miss? I keep reading she's the "next" Michelle Kwan. Well, last time I checked Michelle was still here.
Is Mao THAT good?

as far as I know, Mao's spins, steps, jumps are much much harder than Michelle's. Mao's programs are much more well constructed and complexed.

lehmeh

Rinkside
Ziggy said:
You have to be 15 by preceding June (or was that July?) and the whole point with rules (and law in general) is that you cannot choose and pick and change it just because someone good comes along.

But I'm someone who doesn't think we should change the rule if someone comes along--I'm someone who believes the rule should never have been there in the first place.

I read that Korea has no other world class skater in any discipline other than Kim, and the age limit will prevent her from going. So they get no one.

IMO it doesn't matter if you're 11 years old, if you earn one of your country's spots, you should be there. Oh, and speaking of 11 year olds, I think Sonia Henie was only 11 or 12 in her first Olympics. Did history suffer at all for her having been there?

Fossi

Final Flight
Maybe that's why they have JUNIOR World Championships and junior skating and stuff. I think they're smart with the age limits. Look at what did happen to TAra. She could only win against people by having incredible technical difficulty. She knew that, and as a result she can't even skate today. If she didnt' have to go to such lengths just to be on the podium, she would've been able to develop into a beatiful skater and probably could've been eligible much longer. Oksana's jumps were controversial at the Olympics in '94, so I don't think the world would've missed out on much.
I think age limits are good. It saves injury and allows these girls to skate much longer in life.

millyskate

Rinkside
Fossi said:
I think age limits are good. It saves injury and allows these girls to skate much longer in life.
Beeing the olympic champion is supposed to mean beeing the bvest in the world. Not the best that is old/young/tall/heavy enough to compete. If someone wins because someone else wasn't allowed to go, they can't be fully happy with their title.
And it's not like the girls seems to be holding themselves back from practising the big tricks to save themselves from injury...

lehmeh

Rinkside
Fossi said:
Maybe that's why they have JUNIOR World Championships and junior skating and stuff.

Although there are junior worlds that are somewhat comparable to senior worlds, there is absolutely nothing at the junior level that comes close to going to the Olympics.

Being junior world champion is probably a decent consolation for Mao for being age-ineligible for this year's senior worlds. But there is absolutely nothing in the junior world that will compensate for her missing the 2006 Olympics.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ziggy said:
Both men and ladies are required to have an axel type jump in their programs. Anything will do: waltz jump, single, double, triple, quadruple, etc.

Thank you for correcting me and adding that information. Question: Is a double axel required for senior ladies? Or again is it just an axel type jump? Thanks in advance for the info!

Lucy25

Final Flight
ks777 said:
as far as I know, Mao's spins, steps, jumps are much much harder than Michelle's. Mao's programs are much more well constructed and complexed.

Jumps, yes. Mao's jumps are technically more difficult than anyone's out there, not just Michelle's.
Spins, maybe. Mao is very flexible and can get into more positions. She is no faster than Michelle and Michelle's spins are more centered. Mao's leg position (in the traditional position) on her layback is terrible
Steps, absolutely not. Michelle wins hands down here. As do all the other top Ladies.

Mao is an incredible talent, but let's not get carried away just yet. Keep in mind that she did not even win Japanese Nationals this year, she was third.

lehmeh said:
But I'm someone who doesn't think we should change the rule if someone comes along--I'm someone who believes the rule should never have been there in the first place.

I read that Korea has no other world class skater in any discipline other than Kim, and the age limit will prevent her from going. So they get no one.

IMO it doesn't matter if you're 11 years old, if you earn one of your country's spots, you should be there. Oh, and speaking of 11 year olds, I think Sonia Henie was only 11 or 12 in her first Olympics. Did history suffer at all for her having been there?
And I am someone who believe that huge pressure, either mental or physical shouldn't be placed on young people. This, I believe was the reason that this rule was implemented in gymnastics. Plus there is the issue of puberty. Having a light and short body of a child (like Lipinski, for example) makes it easier for you to jump.

Then Sonja Henie was at her first Olympics, it was a completely different story. Skating was an upper-middle/upper class pastime, not a competetive sport.

purplecat said:
Thank you for correcting me and adding that information. Question: Is a double axel required for senior ladies? Or again is it just an axel type jump? Thanks in advance for the info!
Double axel is required for junior and senior ladies and men in the short program. As for the long programs, for both junior and senior ladies and men, the rule I mentioned already applies.