Article about Jr. Worlds / Kimmie | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Article about Jr. Worlds / Kimmie

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
RGirl...

I'm very glad to hear that Kimmie seemed to show more polish in person than on TV. Since apparently has already been given the Next Big Thing Tiara, it's great to know that she might also skate well!! :biggrin: Just kidding of course...

DG

gkelly

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Rules tend to seem icky when an especially good skater can't go to sr. Worlds even though she makes the Nationals podium just because she's a month or two younger than the cut-off date. I almost wish they could have an age spread, i.e., anyone born between June 1 and August 31 can go to Sr. Worlds IF s/he makes the podium.

Well, skaters who turned 15 the previous June are eligible already because the cutoff date is July 1. So I think you mean July 1 to September 30. But that wouldn't help Meissner, whose birthday is in October.

And by "makes the podium," do you mean at their respective nationals or at Jr. Worlds? The ISU doesn't care what happens at nationals, it's up to the federations to choose their own world teams by whatever qualifying process they choose, and they could certainly play games with their qualifying processes if they wanted to get a younger skater on the national podium to meet some ISU mandate. Or add steps to the podium. ;-)

I'm assuming you mean at Jr. Worlds, i.e., reviving and modifying the old exception for Jr. Worlds medals. Now that Jr. Worlds is scheduled right before Worlds, it's not the best idea to require a medal there for a too-young skater to qualify for Worlds because of the added pressure. Using medals from the year before would get rid of that pressure, and Meissner did already have one of those.