Michelle's Spins | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Michelle's Spins

E

eltamina

Re: The spin on her spins

It is a lay<span style="color:red;font-size:large;">back</span> spin, not a leg up spin. Mk's leg variation is not classic, but complies with ISU rules. The greatest spinner and spinning icon Lucindah Ruh does the same varation of the layback too.

J

Joesitz

dancevixen - The layback spin has many variations. Dick insists the spin should be executed in the 'attitude' style a la Angela. I could agree. I like that variation too. Irina (very acrobatic) takes her free leg and puts it behind her neck and lays back Not easy! but not my cup of tea. Michelle starts out with the classic but drops it too quickly into the very 'low legs' together with free toe turned out. Lovely but not classic. Other skaters take the free leg to the side before laying back (Nicole?). I'm sure there are more variations, and there are layback in any variation not well executed.

So pick your choice but better still, stay open for the variety it has to offer.

Joe

P

Piel

Considering the quality of the rest of her skating, how well centered her spins are, and the command she has of the ice and the audience, complaining about the leg position on her lay back is to quote Dick "nitpicking".

Piel

J

Joesitz

The spins tonight (Nats) were fast if not the fastest.

Joe

A

ApacheApache

How fast were Michelle's spins at Nats03?

They looked fast to me, in fact faster than most competitions in which she took part previously except The Red Violin at Worlds 00. Compared to Sarah's, Sasha's and even Irina's, how fast were her spins? I did check out some Sasha and skating forums just to read what they said about Michelle's performance at Nats 03, to my exasperation they still said her spins were slow comapred to Sasha and Sarah. Is it true?

J

Joesitz

Re: How fast were Michelle's spins at Nats03?

One does not get clear objective opinions from a gush forum.

Michelle's spins have gotten faster but still not up to the way the were way back when. The main thing is she's alive and imo, still the most all-round skater in the world.

I always want her to win for herself but now I want her to win for all the old gals in figure skating: Tonya Kwiatkowski, Amber Corwin, Maria Butryskaya, etc.

Joe

D

David5555

That sounds a little narrow-minded to me. Yes, MKF is a place for Kwaniacs, but there are also knowledgable and mature posters. Just because it's a skater-specific fan board it doesn't mean people's opinions have less value there.

And what do you mean by "back then"? IMO Michelle's spins never have been fast to start with.

S

Show 42

I remember Mr. Buttons saying once that the reason why skaters didn't want to invest time in spinning, is that spinning takes alot of energy out of the program, saps strength. Perhaps Michelle opts for very beautifully centered spins, then chance a faster spin that perhaps will travel (as so many skater's fast spins do).........

David, I believe Joe was referring to skaters such as Dorothy, Toller, etc. who had centered, fast spins when he said "Back when." I don't believe he was referring to Michelle...........42

J

Joesitz

David - Sorry, I said that. I should have explained that I have only been to Fan's Forums a few times and I did read a lot of gushing, but there were some good opinions and discussions also. It's just that I don't have that much time on the computer to be rushing around and checking other forums out constantly. That is why I am always happy when someone brings information into GS.

Cheers - Joe

S

sk8m8

Michelle's spins in the Exibition

Perhaps people should take a closer look at Michelle's spiins in the "show skate." In both cases of the the Olympics and Nationals '03 she spins much faster than in the free program. I'd call Michelle's spins "middle of the road" fast. I've seen good skaters that slower spins and other elements that made up for it. I've also noted fast spinners that lacked techinical difficulty and/or aritstry. Furthermore, her spins in the FOG skate have many of attributes that Uncle Dick likes in spins. MK does a combonation spin that is part "textbook layback, attitude and all) If MK can hold the speed and postion for 3 revolutions, she can develop that same move through practice IF SHE WANTS TO. Perhaps, MK is looking for what sets her apart and is willing to be "proficient" in certain areas while excelling in others.

While not quite a Kwaniac, I do appreciate the distance Michelle has traveled over the years developmentally. Her skating ( including her spins) have what I can only describe as "authenticity" this year. What she said she was attempting to do last year over the Olympic year has come to fruition this year. Her skating is completely her own. THe real beauty of Kwan's skating is that she has arrived at this place through going the distance and traveling the gauntlet of competition. Age is of use to those who are willing to use it to their benefit. This nationals I saw MK skate "hard AND smart" Good for her, good for us!

S

Show 42

Re: Michelle's spins in the Exibition

Sk8m8, knowing you are not a Kwaniac makes your post all the more pleasing. You can be objective and your comments and observations make a great deal of sense. Thank you..........42

D

David5555

Joe,
No need to apologize. I was a little too harsh to say that...I just love MKF a little too much.:)

R

rgirl181

"Hard <strong>and</strong> smart." Says it all, Sk8m8. ITA with that and everything else in that post.
Rgirl
PS to Show: See, we nonKwaniacs are good for something, sometimes:lol:

S

Show 42

What RGirl, have we lost you to the "Dark Side" already? You were a "Kwaniac" for what, one day...........geesh..... ;) 42

R

rgirl181

Re: Rgirl's Kwaniac Status

Now, Show, it's not like I didn't give fair warning;) I signed my posts: "Rgirl-- KIT (Kwaniac in Training)" "NK (Novice Kwaniac)," and "KFD (Kwaniac for a Day)." You wouldn't expect a complete 180 based on one competition, would you? Besides, what would GS be without a few nonKwans to annoy all the Kwaniacs?:smokin:
:D Rgirl--SKNBLP (Still Kwan Neutral But Leaning Positive):D

S

Show 42

.......Okay RGirl, all is forgiven. Neutral.....I can live with that......... :) 42

S

SteveKmetko374

re: Irina's back - I think she has decent posture but when she is doing crossovers to gain speed I see her pumping her back - and I find this to be very distracting and unattractive. Also the forward landings on many of her jumps is unattractive. I know, I am very nitpicky in this respect. I like a nice landing position with good run through and speed. I also dislike the lack of choreography and the long set up for some jumps. I have noticed this year MK's choreography leaves a lot of time for jump set ups as well. Telegraphed is the word I am looking for here by the way. I prefer La Traviata to Tosca any day (for Irina) and find her upper body more expressive and softer than in years past. Still hate the Beilman spin, I think I will only like that spin on long legged gals - like Lucinda, Denise and my new love, Ye Bin.

J

Joesitz

What makes the Bielman spin tolerable is Bielman herself and Ye Bin Mok both of whom have legs for days. I think it has to be performed by slender long legged ladies. As I said it is then tolerable. I still don't like the wrestling match one has to get into to get the spin going. Just like some of those dumb pair spins.

Joe

L

Lady Lutz

Michelle's Spins

Michelle's spins are slow, but she has beautiful lines and positions and centering. She does not possess the beautifully classic layback spin like Angela, Sasha, and Sarah. Apparently that attitude position with the free leg is hard to hit. Michelle has improved her leg position from what it was like before. I think she does her layback the way she does now to mask the fact that she does not have that classic layback leg position. Still, hers is quite lovely and has a wonderful arch.

Interestingly, Lucinda Ruh does not possess a classic layback attitude position, either. I've got her short program from 1997 Worlds on tape. Dick Button comments Ruh's leg position wasn't good, but her back, centering, and speed were superb. Like Michelle, Ruh starts with her leg up in a semi-attitude, then brings in down close to her other leg.