AI Tuesday 3/8 | Golden Skate

AI Tuesday 3/8

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Amanda - "River Deep, Mountain High" I had high hopes because I love this song. Tina Turner, Diana Ross, Celine Dion have all done great jobs with it as did Tamyra Grey on "Boston Public". It was OK but I'm afraid this may be her last week.

Janay - Selena's "Dreaming of You" was a nightmare. Please put me out of my misery and send this girl home.

Carrie - not sure of the name of the song but it sounded country. Boring.

Vonzell - "Respect" dressed in a white cowboy hat and fringed boots. Somewhere Otis Redding is turning over in his grave and Aretha Franklin is thinking "What the h*** was that?". This just didn't do it for me. "Respect" deserves more respect than that, IMO.

Nadia - "Try a Little Tenderness" hands down the best of the night. Bonus points for singing a kick a** Otis Redding song :rock: :rock: :rock: This song is the "Bolero" of R&B, LOL. Gotta, gotta, gotta, gotta give her lots of votes!

Lindsey - "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" was OK. Would have enjoyed it much more if Joe Perry and his guitar had been on stage :rock: .

Mikalah - "Somewhere" I like Mikalah hated her doing this song. This is the second week in a row that she has come out looking WAAAAAY too serious.

Jessica - "The Boys are Back in Town" good job, second best of the evening.

Last edited:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Can you say........Naaaadddiiiaa........wow, she is fantastic......my fav of the ladies without a doubt.

Who should go..........for sure Janae and it's time for Mikayla to say bye-bye....42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Sorry, I just don't see any of these ladies making the finals; the guys are much better. None of these gals can sing.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I tuned in just in time for Nadia...

Sounds like I got there at the right time. Definitely the best of the last half. Sounds like the first half was pretty much a bomb. Nadia doesn't seem to have the best voice or the range of a couple of the others, but MAN she is an entertainer. I love how she came out the first week in jeans when all the other girls were dressed up. Now she's "dressing" as they've migrated to a more casual thing. She seems to just do her own thing and have her own style which I like.

I do agree that more men will probably be left standing once they merge them next week.

DG

Amanda--my comment was "yulk"
Janay--I needed ear plugs
Carrie--disappointing since the original auditions but I still like her
Vonzell--not bad
Nadia--best of the night
Lindsey--love the song but am not crazy over her voice--she's about "fair-to-middlin" as the saying goes
Mikalah--ugh, I thought she sounded very flat on that Streisand song but I think she has a fan base that will keep her in the running awhile yet
Jessica Sierra--she's growing on me also...second best of the girls I think

I think the only 4 girls that have a chance to be in this for several weeks yet are Jessica, Nadia, Vonzell and Carrie. But if Carrie doesn't "get down to it", she's not going to last much longer. I agree with what seems to be the majority of opinions--the guys are much stronger than the girls.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Missed the performances of Amanda, Janay, and Carrie, but judging by previous posts, perhaps "missing" would not be the correct verb. Let's just say I didn't see them.

Vonzell -- Tho I don't believe that anyone on this show, any season, should even be ATTEMPTING one of Aretha Franklin's signature pieces, she carried this off fairly well and at the least was very charming in doing so.

Nadia -- I've never particularly cared for that song, but she was absolutely fantastic. If anyone has the complete package at this point, among the women, it's her.

Lindsey -- Dull, but she's got an interesting voice if she'd choose the right material for it.

Mikalah -- Entertainment Weekly has referred to her as "the love child Fran Drescher and Janice Dickinson [from America's Next Top Model] could never have" :laugh: I found her performance to be erratic at best and cringe-inducing at worst, tho she did show a bit of vocal range -- but in this case given that the lower notes sounded like something being sung through a voice distorter like the ones used by kidnappers, this is NOT a compliment. She did finish the song off stronger than I thought she would, though. I don't know about those song choices. If she comes out next week and sings "Fever", I am SO outa there....

Jessica -- She "has it going on", but I found this performance erratic -- vocally it was fine but I found the energy level kind of uneven.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Sorry, I just don't see any of these ladies making the finals; the guys are much better. None of these gals can sing.

the finals as in the top 3? or the top 12? because there will be girls in the top 12

I'll bet anything Mikailah and Janay will both be in the top 12... too many teeny-boppers like the "youngest" members

remember Jazz, John (I voted for him, but a lot of others voted just because he was 16), Carmen (gag), Diana...........

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Jonnycoop!! What???

JonnyCoop said:
Nadia -- I've never particularly cared for that song, but she was absolutely fantastic. If anyone has the complete package at this point, among the women, it's her.

ITA on the package. My FAVORITE version of this song is from a years ago little watched movie called The Commitments. From the sound track. Also has my favorite version of Mustang Sally. OK, I'm definitely giving away my age now. In my "Mustang Sally" days when I drove a little red convertible, I would have definately played Nadia's version. (well, at least that time period was AFTER my 8-track!)

It will be very interesting to see who makes the final 12 tonight. And starting next week, I do think the girls might get voted "out" faster than the boys. At least I hope so.

DG

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
DG another "Committments" fan here :rock: . Such a great sountrack in addition to TALT and MS....Take Me to the River, Chain of Fools, The Dark End of the Street, Destination Anywhere, I Can't Stand the Rain, Treat Her Right, Do Right Woman Do Right Man :love: , Mr. Pitiful, I Never Loved a Man, In the Midnight Hour, Bye Bye Baby ( BTW a teenage Mary Welles wrote and sang this song whicjh became the first hit for Motown records), and Slip Away. I loved the character played by Robert Arkins. Favorite line(s) from the movie...."The Irish are the blacks of the world and Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland, say it loud I'm black and I'm proud!"

Does anyone remember a few years ago one of the U.S. ice dance teams skated to "TALT" for thier exhibition? The girl's first name was Debbie IIRC and I think the guy had a Russian name. It was really a fun number.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Piel said:
Bye Bye Baby ( BTW a teenage Mary Welles wrote and sang this song whicjh became the first hit for Motown records), and Slip Away.

Does anyone remember a few years ago one of the U.S. ice dance teams skated to "TALT" for thier exhibition? The girl's first name was Debbie IIRC and I think the guy had a Russian name. It was really a fun number.

Mary Wells' version of "Bye Bye Baby", is, IMO, one of the all-time great soul/r&b performances of all time. :rock: :rock:

I believe you're thinking of Debbie Koegel & Oleg Fediukov.

As to "TALT" -- I don't HATE it, but it's one of those songs that is considered to be such a peerless classic by so many people, that my "enjoyment criteria", so to speak, then increases tenfold. When so many people love a song so much, I expect to be bowled over. "TALT" wouldn't even make my personal top 100 of all time greatest soul/r& b songs. There are some songs that are even more beloved than "TALT" that I personally can not even STAND. Those I will not list unless someone happens to sing them on AI. :biggrin:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I believe you're thinking of Debbie Koegel & Oleg Fediukov.

Thanks Jonny! That's the couple.I was thinking of. Would love to hear more about your "least loved soul/R&B songs". Maybe you will start a thread? We need something to discuss until Worlds.

Kasey

Medalist
Again, will just copy/paste what I sent to my mom...

Gals:

Amanda...better voice than I remember. Not a great 'dancer'. She resembles a combo of Cher, Marie Osmond, and Tim Curry in "Rocky Horror Picture Show". Ok for me.

Janay...too Jasmine....'cute little girl'. A couple of notes were like "ouch". The rest of them just basically stunk. Stunk? Stank? Whatever. Janay, you ARE the weakest link. Goodbye.

Carrie...little too 'cutesy' in her talking clip. But one of the best voices of the girls. Kind of stiff in posture and presentation until she 'lets it go' midway through. She has the face and voice enough to take her at least midway through.

Vonzell...yeehaw. Not sure what the cowboy getup was for Aretha??? Sorry Von, but after Kelly Clarkson hit this one out of the ballpark in the first season, the song should have been retired. To me, a wannabe that wasn't quite good enough. But probably good enough for this week.

Nadia...Oh my God...the "LaToya London" performance so far of this season of the girls....Sign this girl up now, don't make her go through this show!!!! She ROCKS! It should come down to her and Anwar...and end in a tie!

Lindsey...nice, safe Shania/Faith/Martina like voice. Semi-strong...predictable mannerisms and posture during performing, and even the vocal 'twists' are predictable. Strong, husky voice, but just kinda blah for me. Did Ryan throw the soda at Simon in defense of Lindsey, or because he was insulted by the comparison??

Mikalah...Fran Drescher, Minnie Driver and Barbra Streisand thrown in a blender....a mixed talent frappe. Picked a song a little too low for her register, but strong when she was in her comfort zone. The low parts were rather painful. I liked the subdued outfit. Not as impressed with her as last week, but she ended strong.

Jessica...Man, she's got cleavage! Ok, this was awesome. Maybe even better than Nadia. This was like Kelly Clarkson's "Oh Wow" moment in season one. I like the voice, the attitude and the full performance, even without knowing or liking the song. Wow, surprised me, because I don't remember liking her so much the last two weeks.

For tonight: Bye bye Janay and Lindsey

Kasey