Catholics Portrayed On the "Soaps" | Golden Skate

Catholics Portrayed On the "Soaps"

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Does anyone know why on the soaps all of the characters seem to be Catholic?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
What soaps are you watching?? From what I've been able to discern, unless it's a Latino, Irish, or Italian family, most everyone seems to be some form of Protestant.... Except, of course, for the occasional Jew.....

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I watch Days and Passions. On Days the Bradys are Irish, but everyone else on the show are Catholic too including the Kiriakis who are Greek.. The Horton's who are the original family on the show are Catholic. That could be to have made it easier for their daughter to become a nun after she found out she was having an affair with her brother, LOL. On Passions the Lopez-Fitzgeralds are Irish and Mexican but the Cranes, Bennets, Russels are who knows what. All go th the same church. The only non Catholics on the show seem to be Tabitha and Endora who I guess are Wiccan?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I only watched Passions for a couple of seasons way back in 1999 to 2000 or so). I, too, was shocked that everybody (sans Tabby, Timmy and another witch I can't recall) were Catholic, even though the show took place in NE and some of the flashbacks indicated that most people descended from the Puritans! Hello!!

I was told that the creator of the show (Reilly?) is Catholic, hence the religious orientation for the soap.

Yana

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
OK Mathman another slip up like that and you can forget about going to Camilla's and Chuck's wedding. :rofl:

SingAlto

On the Ice
I'm still trying to figure out how, on All My Children, the town of Pine Valley moved from New York state to Pennsylvania. :scratch:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
SingAlto said:
I'm still trying to figure out how, on All My Children, the town of Pine Valley moved from New York state to Pennsylvania. :scratch:

I'm trying to figure out how Pine Valley has a beach nearby that everyone was hanging out at for a while (this would have been the beach that Dmitri got washed up on a few years ago, and Hayley and Mateo's "special place"), when Pennsylvania is a landlocked state..... :laugh:

JOHIO2

Medalist
I always thought Pine Valley was upstate New York and the lake was probably Ontario (or that little chunk of Erie).