Sarah the TV host | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sarah the TV host

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Katia & Yuka are "sharing" the tour. We had Katia in Trenton, Philly, and Reading.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
We had Yuka and Kurt. If I remember correctly, they showed Kurt in the first televised show. It was the one with a toybox.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
Not to sound overly mean, but I think Sarah should spend more time skating and getting in shape rather than spending time hosting. As a previous poster stated, her skating was very laborious, and I found it difficult to watch. It seems hard to believe that SLC was barely two years ago.

Shmuzzy

On the Ice
It seems hard to believe that SLC was barely two years ago.

Guess it seems hard because it was actually three years ago. LOL!
It must be getting late!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
In Boston we had Katya and Ilya.

As to Sarah - my husband knows nothing of skating, yet by the end of SOI he would easily recognize Sarah as the only chubby girl out there. He couldn't believe it when I told him that Katya was 14 years Sarah's senior! I had a lot of respect for Sarah's decision to quit skating to go to Yale; I also understand why she's back on the ice. However, I think it is disrespectful to the audience to come back in the shape she is in right now.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Spectator
Loved all the group numbers -- they're what makes this ice show unique. The boxers were particularly charming. The pair numbers were outstanding: who knew that Anton could adapt to hip hop so well?

Sorry, when Sarah skated I went to my computer and worked. As has been mentioned, she's mildly unattractive with the extra weight, her programs were not the measure of others on the ice and her expressive capacity is not as compelling as it was previously. I also felt she seemed wooden as host. Gimme Kurt any day over Sarah.

However I am excited about seeing this show live in April, so I guess the broadcast had its intended effect.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Sarah did an excellent job of hosting, she seems like a natural. I was sorry that they didn't show Yuka's Amazing Grace program, which gave me goosebumps and Elena & Anton's If I Could program. I'm not quite sure why they showed 2 of Jamie & David's programs, it seemed like they were almost back to back. I was wishing they would have shown some of the transition pieces, I thought they were great this year. In one transition, they were about 3 or 4 of them out with a small crystal ball trying to hypnotize the audience to buy SOI shirts, books and pictures. While they are doing this, Alexei is getting prepared at the other end of the rink, and the spokesperson said........please don't pay any attention to what's going on at the other end of the rink........it doesn't concern you...........you need to buy....etc. It was funny.

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I was definitely unimpressed with the transition pieces. The singing flee one was, IMHO, especially cheesy.

To be fair to Jamie & David, I think both of their programs were some of the best received by the audience.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Sarah was an inappropriate narrator for this show. For one thing, she is the newest and least experienced cast member, and from what I saw of her interactions on the ice with the others, the least show-savvy. She was also by far the worst skater in the show, and she was the headliner!

I don't understand how she could look at tapes of her performances and not be horribly embarrassed. And I'm not talking about her size--I'm sure she's aware she is not in the same shape as the other ladies--I'm talking about her skating skills, or rather her lack of them. She is the youngest one in the show, and the only one who's competed as an eligible within the past two years, yet she doesn't have even skills required at the Novice level.

Yes, I know SOI was willing to take her on knowing that she can't skate like the 2002 Sarah, but you would think she'd have some pride in her own skating reputation.

tvcats

Rinkside
I was definitely unimpressed with the transition pieces. The singing flee one was, IMHO, especially cheesy.

I thought that was the whole point of the transition pieces. They are definitely not meant to be construed as serious skating pieces. They are for humorous purposes.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dee4707[U said:
I'm not quite sure why they showed 2 [/U] of Jamie & David's programs, it seemed like they were almost back to back.
Dee

If they had shown the show in sequence, you would have seen Jamie & David's "Radar Love" during the first hour of the broadcast. "Who Wants to Live Forever?" was during the second half of the show.

mpal2

Final Flight
I finally watched the whole thing without falling asleep. :clap: I wish Alexei's "The Feeling Begins" routine had a dark scarf instead of a white one. It had too much contrast to his black outfit. I do admit the diaper description seemed to fit once or twice. :laugh:

I'm hoping that I'll be able to round up a friend and go to the show this month.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I thought it was great. Christopher Dean has done wonders. I didn't buy tickets because I have never been one for group numbers. But the pairs performances as well as Alexei seemed like they would be wonderful in person. I always loved B/S when they did COI.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ptichka said:
ITo be fair to Jamie & David, I think both of their programs were some of the best received by the audience.
I don't know where you are from but the best received in Omaha Nebraska were for John and Kyoko's program.

Dee