On-line listening / viewing opportunities... | Golden Skate

On-line listening / viewing opportunities...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been trolling around trying to find ways to get live, or "faster than US TV" information about World's here in the US. Here is what I've found so far, and I hope others will share whatever else you may have found.

Eurosport: No video broadcast in the US, but I was able to listen to the live coverage during last year's World's and during Europeans this year.

www.eurosport.com

Whatever is being covered "live" via audio at the time you arrive can be accessed through the home page. I haven't figured out the site well enough to get a live coverage schedule in advance - maybe someone else has.

www.russiantvonline.com

I got this tip from someone at www.fsuniverse.net. It is a subscription service. You can "subscribe" for free just to do a test to make sure it will work with your version of Real Player. I had to adjust some settings in Real Player to get things going, and I also had to log in and out and back in to test each change. But I finally got the test working, so sprung for the $9 US for a month subscription. (which I will cancel right after Worlds) It looks like they are offering over 20 hours of coverage starting with the Pairs SP's on Monday. (I did not see any QR coverage from the FSU poster who put up what the schedule supposedly is) Here is the link to the thread on FSU where there are several posts relating to this. I will be trying it out tomorrow and will post back if it works.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23269

On that same thread at FSU, there is information about a Chinese station that broadcasts over the internet. I may give that one a whirl too.

During World's last year, some people were able to get internet video coverage through an outfit called RAI Sport. I will be researching that one more today as well and post if I find anything interesting.

See at least some of you at 1AM CST, if I've got my time zone conversion right!!

DG

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Thanks DG. I did do the Eurosport thing last year and it was okay. I like the commentators. Once in a while there is some break up as the thing reloads or whatever but it's not bad. Radio Days!!!

I sleep badly and even though I have to teach a 9:40 class, I will listen middle of the night if I wake up. Oh the anticipation.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Yelyoh..

I feel so lucky that I no longer have a "corporate" job to report to (just my hubby now, and he's given me a pass for the week!). So I'm adjusting my sleep schedule for the World's this week. But if you can't sleep, check in and I'll look for you.

HEY!!! For you Canadians-Going-Through-Hockey-Withdrawl. I keep testing the www.russiantvonline.com thing, and they are showing hockey right now. :clap: So if you're dying for hockey and plan to sign up, now is a good time. I'm acutally getting a good video stream - not like a series of still pictures. My fingers are crossed for the Pairs SP's tomorrow.

DG

Linny

Final Flight
Only Live?

Are these sites only showing the programs live? Or will they archive and let subscribers see programs later? The TV broadcasts are only going to show a select few... and there are quite a few others I'd like the chance to view...
Linny

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hey Linny...

Depending on your computer setup, you may be able to record the live broadcasts to hard drive or DVD. That's WAY beyond my comprehension. BUT...hubby (the techno geek of the family) tells me that if the Russian TV thing comes through clean tomorrow (Pairs SP) then he will set it up to save to our server hard drive for the rest of the week. I don't even want to speculate on that until I see if I actually get the broadcast tomorrow. Bottom line I think - it's not necessarily easy to get live coverage in any form....yet. Who knows what we'll be talking about 20 years from now.

DG