Men - Short Program - Notes from Rosaleen | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men - Short Program - Notes from Rosaleen

Rosaleen

Medalist
CAN Jeffrey Buttle Start 19
Notes Music: Prelude in C Minor by Rachmaninov wearing black with with sleeves & cross-over effect in front / big chords to start and some chor to match perfectly and down the ice for his combo / 3f3t / spiral and arabesque and down for the 3a - great / music lightens & speeds up for the O ftwrk that is just perfect with the music and some applause / butterfly in sit to twisted pos / some more chor with the chords and spread eagle 3z a tiny bit forward but clean / cam layout then layvoer to back cam layout to donut / music has just a few chords and the strt ftwrk is right with it some applause but it's the type of program that you don't want to clap in for ruining fthe mood / the combo spin is just wonder ful and ythe Canadians at least are on their feet and the flags are flying / except for doing a quad, he couldn't have skated that better as far as I can see / pb is 76.45 / see him on screen in kiss & cry and he is happy !!

Rosaleen

Medalist
USA Johnny Weir Start 20
Notes Music: Rondo Capriccioso / wearing black & red / some chor to the very familiar music / 3a fell / 3z3t is great / sit ch sit is wonderful with tuck pos / music changes for O ftwrk and crowd is clapping a bit and the footwrk is great and flows wonderfully / music is building and down the ice with ftwrk into 3f / death drop has wonderful spin pos and is big / sgtrt ftwrk is very good but seems to die a bit towards the end / combo spin to end the program has his usual wonder ful pos - seems a bit slow on the end and he looks very disappointed / pb is 75.90

Rosaleen

Medalist
JPN Daisuke Takahashl Start 21
Notes Music: Nyah wearing black with hot pink on top and sleeves with black bands / some chor to get the program started / 4t3t is very good / and the japanese reporter next to me are getting very excited / 3a / and more cheers from them / flysit is very good / and some toe work to start the O ftwrk that he has a bit of a slip on towards the end / 3z is good /and sit ch sit is as well / some posing and dancing at the boards into his strt ftwrk that matches the flamenco music very well / combo spin cam layvoer sit layback back sit inside edge headless and he's moving into a final pos and is done but is holding his right calf and shaking it out and keeps touching it as he heads off the ice / pb is 71.31 / that was an excellent program - they're showing him in the kiss & cry with ice on the leg

Rosaleen

Medalist
BUL Ivan Dinev Start 22
Notes Music Typewriter / wearing black with white trim and appliques on leg / 3z3t is good / music is kind of soft & flowing and some chor to match down for his 3a on a bad lean and he steps out - might have even been short rot / flying sit went by so quick I didn't really see it / O ftwrk to the sounds of an old manual typewriter and boy do I remember that sound well!!! Not quite as fast as the music though / ftwrk into 2f / combo spin is pretty good bit slow in spots / strt ftwrk is to sound of typewriter and is timed perfectly with it - fun to watch / sit ch sit spin to end is good / he's not happy about that, bet he wants that flip back / pb is 58.15 / dobrin has stepped on the ice and there's cheers and clapping as he skates around with Russian flags flying /

Rosaleen

Medalist
RUS Sergei Dobrin Start 23
Notes Music: Black Cat white cat / wearing yellow tshirt with lime green tie black pants with suspenders / some chor to start and the crowd is clapping / 3a step out into 3t / down the ice for 3z / strt ftwrk coming towards me and the crowd is still clapping and the ftwrk is very good and with music / some chor and into a 2a / flycam is very fast with nice pos with arms behind back to inside edge or was it outside to catch foot / into O ftwrk that has lots of one-foot work and goes great with music / sit ch sit with inside edge on front and hopover to back / cam sit foot in front to back cam donut to open leg to scratch to end the program to cheers from the crowd and flags flying / he's not really happy with that / pb is 64.39 /

Rosaleen

Medalist
FRA Samuel Contesti Start 24
Notes Music Le Phare by Thiersen / wearing basic black / a bit of miming? To start and now he's moving around the ice for 3a fell / back towards me for a 3z that he fell on that I'm sure will only be a double / flysit is good to sounds of crowd clapping loudly in encouragement / ftwrk into a 3f that he falls on as well / sit ch sit is well done I think - didn't really see it as I was typing and not looking properly / O ftwrk is good to sounds of crowd clapping along with music as it gets faster as he goes into his combo spin and now into strt ftwrk and crowd is still clapping to music - ftwrk is ok and he ends the program there / after sucha good start in the qualifying this is a real disappointment - he may not make it to the free program / pb is 60.06 / he has 30.82 from the q's /

Rosaleen

Medalist
The final group is on the ice -- the big question in my mind (and probably all Canadians -- as I show my bias [sorry, but I can't resist] ) -- will someone finish below Jeff overall and put him in the final group for the free program? Not that I wish anyone not to skate well, as most of you know I'm one of those who wants everyone to skate well, but I want Jeff in the final flight for the free program.

I'm very happy though, that Victor Pheiffer from AUT will make the free program -- I really enjoyed him at Jr Worlds and want to see him skate again.

Rosaleen

Medalist
USA Evan Lysacek Start 25
Notes Music: Espana Cani wearing black with bolero effect with lots of gold brocade - I love this program / big music to start and fanfare into 3a as castanets start and crowd is clapping / 3z3t easy as pie / fly sit to inside edge in time with music / O ftwrk starts and music changes and slows - ftwrk is ok but not spectacular / down the ice towards me for 3f / sit tuck ch sit to inside edge to slower and then speeds up again and crowd is clapping as music builds for strt ftwrk which is well done / music starts to build again for the combo spin and it is great / and big leap as he finishes the program he is happy (and boy is that an understatement ) He's had that program for a few years and I'll bet that's the last time he skates it and he sent if off in grand style / pb is 63.25 / It was a great skate for him with the same elements as Jeff but I don't think the footwork was as difficult so I'd definitely have it below Jeff (sorry, maybe showing bias again)

Rosaleen

Medalist
GER Stefan Lindemann Start 26
Notes Music: Earnest soundtrack / wearing black / some great chor to start the program off / down the ice for 4t fell / back around for 3a popped to a single oh no. .. . / combo spin is fast with very good pos and centered / music changes and is building for 3z that he falls on . . . I wouldn't wish this on anyone / strt ftwrk and crowd is clapping to the music ftwrk is good / music softens and slows for sit ch sit and then picks up again for O ftwrk and the crowd is clapping again / death drop is huge with twisted pos in spin / and he's gliding around as if he can't believe what just happened and now taking his bows / pb is 67.75 / coach is trying to console him as he puts on his guards /

Rosaleen

Medalist
SUI Stephane Lambiel Start 27
Notes Music: Spanish Caravan wearing black with light green at collar & cuffs / greeted to great cheers / some chor to what I'd call a piano trill / around for 3a nicely done / music picks up and down toward me for a 4t3t landed the 3t a bit shakey but to great cheers / fly sit is unbelievably good / he pulls out the 3z with a very wide free leg / strt steps are great and with music and crowd is clapping right into S ftwrk that I'm enjoying to much to try and describe -- I don't have the words anyway / combo spin is wonderful to cheers from the crowd and right into sit chsit that is incredible into closwing pose as the music fades / and he stands in his closing pose taking it all in / now he moves and a fist clench / It's hard to tell from my angle but I'd say that a good portion of the crowd is on their feet / he acknowledges the Swiss contingent to my right and they scream and wave their flags / I want to see that one again -- it was great / pb 69.97 /

Rosaleen

Medalist
RUS Evgenui Plushenko Start 28
Notes Music: Moonlight Sonata wearing black with diag silver pattern across chest / greeted to cheers that are the loudest (of course) of the night / sure hope he skates well / a bit of movement in place and around for his 4t and he falls to screams from the crowd / 3a is good and cheers / fly forward cam to donut is very good & centered but actually maybe a little slow / music changes forhis O ftwrk and the crowd is silent - a smattering of applause as he finishes it / down to the far end for 3z which is good / sit ch sit is well done / some posing and into strt ftwrk as the music builds and and a few cheers from the crowd / combo spin to end with beillman that has the crowd cheering / great ovation from the crowd and the Russian flags are flying and gifts are raining down on the ice / He takes his bows to cheers from each side of the arena / pb is 84.35 / what are the judges going to do ?? / With the fall. . . . I'm not going to try and predict or even give my opinion /

Rosaleen

Medalist
FRA Brian Joubert Start 29
Notes Music: Blue Men Group Medley wearing black with red accents that I'm not going to try and describe / some chor to a beat by I'm not sure what insgtrument / 4t3t / and a bit of arm movement as he comes around for 3a / flysit has big fly and very fast spin / some posing in front of judges and movement as music changes to very fast and he's really channeling yags during this O ftwrk but I'm not buying it / ftwrk into 3f / combo spin is good with speed and centered / music changes and crowd is clapping for strt stepsthat have all the difficult stuff on the same foot / sit ch sit with inside edge and sideways pos variations / pb is 76.98 /

Rosaleen

Medalist
CHN Chengjiang Ll Start 30
Notes Music: Treasured Book of Chinese Martial Arts / wearing black with red mandarin style top / some martial arts themed chor to start the program and down the ice and back this way for his 4t3t attempt - good / some chor as music builds and crowd is clapping 3a hung on to a skiddy landing / flycam to inside edge that is quite good unlike the 'chineses can't spin mentality / ftwrk into a 3l / cam sit sideways upright back sit scratch that is quite fast and centered until the last pos / S ftwrk is with character of music and moves very well with crowd clapping / strt ftwrk is timed with music and has lots of continuous one-foot work / sit sideways ch sit to inside edge and into final pose right with music / aside from the skiddy landing on 3a, he couldn't have skated that better - not the emotion or detailed chor that a couple of the others have, but a pretty darn good skate to end the night / pb 723.10 /

Rosaleen

Medalist
So ends the men's short program. . . quite a good night of skating. I'm off now to the draw for the free and the press conference. See you tomorrow morning for the ladies qualifying