Ladies - Qualifying A - Notes from Rosaleen | Golden Skate

Ladies - Qualifying A - Notes from Rosaleen

Rosaleen

Medalist
Note: The following reports are copyright Golden Skate. Please, while you may provide links to reports, do not copy & paste them elsewhere. Thank you.

Please don't post in this thread (it's easier for me), use the thread for the event marked 'comments'. Thanks

They're just doing the introductions now and we'll be on our way in a few minutes.

Rosaleen

Medalist
BIH Nina Bates Start 1
Notes Withdrew from the competition - no explanation given at this point

Rosaleen

Medalist
UKR Elena Liashenko Start 2
Notes Music: Frida soundtrack wearing black string skirt with mostly illusion top with red / some nice chor to opening guitar strums / 3z2t / music picks up now and down to the far end of the rink for a 3f with turnout / 3t / some dancing into flycam with good speed and inside edge - nice spin / pause as the music slows and changes and some chor / sideways layback with arms stretched to same side to strt leg - very nice spin only it travelled a bit at end / music is very soft & slow and some chor / 3f2t / music is starting to build into spiral seq as music starts to fade a bit / 3s pitched forward on landing but clean / a bit more posing & chor & butterfly into back sit with inside edge / music picks up not with a beat - usual long set up into 3z that was wild on landing and might have been 2ft / strt steps are ok / 2a / combo spin to end the program / pb 104.94 /

Rosaleen

Medalist
ITA Carolina Kostner Start 3
Notes Music: Piano Conerto #1 & 3 by Prokofiev / wearing blue with diag leaf design on back / and we have a music problem - and another problem with the music as she skates around while they attempt to solve it - she's introduced again and takes her position - let's hope it works this time / some dancing & chor in place and around the rink into a 3f 3t turns out stays on one foot into 2l / 3z2t at far end of rink might have been 2ft on z / 3l easy as pie / and now the music starts to build for the strt steps that are well done and move / flysit is big and to inside edge / and a bit of chor at centre ice / music is building into spirals inside out starts them off / 3l2l / a bit of chor as music fades and changes to piano / 3s / 3t fell / a bit of chor into wrong way cam and then right way cam - very nicely done into flycam to illusion / cam sit back cam catch foot upright / 2a / split jumps bunch of 3 turns into an iluusion to end the program / she looks quite satisfied with that / pb 98.15 /

Rosaleen

Medalist
USA Michelle Kwan Start 4
Notes Music: Bolero wearing dark purple that looks blue on the screen / a big smile and some chor at centre ice into a 2a / back down the ice this way / 2f / skated to far end of rink and back this way for 3z2t / stars into flying sit spin / a bit of chor as music starts to build and has the crashy bit / 3f / camel spin is very nice / 2s went up funny / flycam sit Y - nice spin / cam sit Y back sit open leg that got a bit messy at the end / music is building into inside out spiral that is held to start the seq ending in Y spiral / music is really building now / 3z / there doesn't seem to be a lot of 'in betweens in the program' 3t / strt steps are right with themusic and complex / pb ?? /

flysit spin, camel spin, spirals level 1
fly combo spin, change foot combo spin, strt line steps level 2

Last edited:

Rosaleen

Medalist
JPN Fumie Suguri Start 5
Notes Music: Tango para Percusion - wearing black pants & bustier with long black gloves / some neat chor at start to drum beats / 3z2t / 3f / 3t2t / sorry - got a bit behind my typing but was watching / music smooths out for spirals which are quite nice / 3s is probably 2fted and under rot / flycam to inside edge is nice / right in a huge death drop with centered, if not fast sit spin / 2z / music changes and picks up into a tango beat and some chor down the ice for a / 3f2t / layback with strt leg has good speed & centered / music gets sticcatto (my new word today) for 2a / strt steps are right with music and complex and move well / cam to outside edge sit layback back sit scratch spin is fast to end the program / pb 120.06 /

Rosaleen

Medalist
RUS Irina Slutskaya Start 6
Notes Music: Wonderland, Whisper from the Mirror black with glittery silver ontop and sleeves with red at hip / some piano and chor to start and very quickly around and down the ice into a 3z / a full circle around ice just stroking into 3st2l / 3turns into 3l fell out / flycam is fast with arms behind back to layvoer to iinside edge to donut / music stops and starts up softer and some chor / 3 turns into 3l 2t / sidways layback to foot to head to partial beillman / spirals inside out inbeillman to back spiral in beillman / 3f / 3t landed right on beat of music 2t / combo spin has beillmans on both feet / 2a flipped out / strt steps are good in the first half but I'm not fussy about the 2nd / crowd is clapping along with the music and there have been periodic screams / combo spin to end is very good / just noticed that there's playing cards on the front of her dress - I can see a big Ace of spades / pb is 121.90 /

Rosaleen

Medalist
AUT Andrea Kreuzer Start 7
Notes Music is Bohemian Rhapsody wearing orange / 3t2t / 2l / combo spin sit chg 1/2 sit upright / music is soft & lyrical and is now building to a crescendo 2 or 3f hand down / music softens a bit into combo spin which is ok / into O ftwrk and music picks up - ftwrk is chor with music and is quite nice / music lightens and a bit of skating into a 2a landed pitched fowrad / down the ice towards me for 3t / 2l turns 2l / there hasn't been much chor esp in the 2nd half of the program / I missed something in the way of a jump or she did (at least according to the cheat sheet) / spiral seq then combo spin to end the program / pb 57.91

Rosaleen

Medalist
JPN Shizuka Arakawa Start 8
Notes Music: Romeo & Juliet by Tchaikovski / wearing black with fringe on hem of skirt and crosses in sequins on the dress / music starts slow & somber and some chor to match / aroudn the far end of the rink and towards me for a catchfoot spiral into 3z2l / 3s3t / down to the far end of rink / 3f / and some chor as she moves into fly cam as the music build nice layout pos to sort of donut / and a bit more chor and music pauses and gets softer / 3l / beautiful ina diag down the ice into a 3?? That was pitched forward on landing but helf off putt down hand / back this way for a 3z - fell / spirals to dramatic music / 2a step out / layback is very well done / back cam to donut / strt steps to majestic music with cymballs crashing - matches well / back cam to donut then to front cam to back upright with leg in front / pb 123.99 /

Rosaleen

Medalist
USA Jennifer Kirk Start 9
Music: Beatles Medley wearing white with light blue edging / 3z? Fell out / music is quite soft and starts to build as she finishes her 3f2t / 2a / flycam has very nice pos centered and good speed / a bit of chor as music builds then softens / 3l fell / some chor going down the rink / spiral into 3z / music builds again and 3s2t at far end of rink / into strt steps that match music very well / layback to strt leg is quite ok / 3s fell / spirals as music builds then changes starts with back spiral / fly sit to Y is good / starts into a cam sit layback back sit Y to end the program / taking bows very quickly like she wants to get off the ice asap / not happy with that skate / pb 120.09 /

Last edited:

Rosaleen

Medalist
LUX Fleur Maxwell Start 10
Notes Music: Cinema Praradiso / wearing fushia / some nice chor at start to soft pretty music / I missed the 1st jump / 3z2t turn 2t / 3l under rot hands down / 3s fell / flycam is fast to inside edge with good pos to donut / upright spin with head bent over and leg somewhere around shoulders - can't quite figure it out / spirals are very nice with beillmans (of course) to sof tflowing music / 2a / layback is excellent ending in beillman ch to back cam to beillman / 3t landed heavily on 2feet / 3s fell probably under rot too / O ftwrk is quite ok and with music - possibly a little slow / combo spin to end has beillman on both feel / there is a nice lyrical quality to her skating / pb 77.30 /

Rosaleen

Medalist
Withdrawls

They've just given us a media advisory saying:

Diane Chen (TPE) withdrew due to injury before the Ladies Qualifying round. She was diagnosed with an ankle injury

Nina Bates (BIH) withdrew as well before the Ladies Qualifying round. According to the medical bulletin, Bates is suffering froma foot injury caused by her skating boots.

Rosaleen

Medalist
ISR Tamar Katz Start 11
Notes Music: Dr Zhivago soundtrack wearing white with white gloves / music starts softly and into a 3s / 3z fell out of landing / big split leg pop on flip / fly cam has lovely extension and speed, centered too / love theme satrts and is building / 3l / music changes to waltz and back spiral into 3f on a bad lean fall / 3? Fall at far end of rink / 2a and a pose as music changes again / combo spin sit cam back cam catch foot / back to the love theme inside out spiral with very good edges as music builds / layback from sideways to strt with foot to head / music is still bulding strt ftwrk and she falls 1/2 way through gets up and finishes / combo spinwith beillman on back end / and she's disappointed in that skate / pb 67.78 / the crowd is really sparse now - I'd say not even 1/4 of the stands are full /

Rosaleen

Medalist
SUI Sarah Meier Start 12
Notes Music: Guitarra Latina wearing black lace effect over red on top, red skirt / music starts with quick guitar strumming and some chor to match / down the far end of rink and back toward me for 3z2t2l / a bit of chor and down to the far end of rink for 3f turns 3s landed pitched forard but clean / bit of posing and into flycam which isnicely done / a bit of chor towards me and back around for a long set up into 3l / and a bit of spanish arm movements and 3l / did I miss something ? / layback spin is ok / spirals as music slows and softens but has an underbeat / 3s / strt steps speed up and match music well - quite nice / cam to outside edge to catch foot into layback still holding foot / bit of dancing in place and back this way for 2z / 3t fell / cam outside edge sit with variations into back cam upright into ending pose / not a great skate, but should be just fine for qualifying / pb 86.92 /

Rosaleen

Medalist
NED Karen Venhuizen Start 13
Notes Music: Gladiator wearing cream on one side shading to beige-gold / jump combo that I think was a 2t2t2l / 2a2l / bit of chor / flycam is a little slow but pos is good / music picks up and doesn't sound like gladiator at all - sounds spanish to me - flamenco / 3s2f seq / combo spin almost lost it going into back sit / sorry was interrupted with peoploe trying to get settled near me/ 2t / 2f / spirals with inside out in catch kneed pos to back 1/2 beillman to forward leg at isde / 3s / music softens and fades as she heads to boards for strt steps and it builds again during the steps which are ok but don't seem to have much relationship to the music / 2a lean fell out / layback spin to end the program / pb 65.02 /

GBR Jenna McCorkell Start 14
Notes Music: Swan lake wearing white with black trim around edge / 3l is nice / popped z to single / 2f? Fell / 3f fell out fell / bit of chor and music lightens and picks up / 3s / strt steps as music builds into a march / sideways layback to strt is nice / music stops and starts up very light again and a bit of chor and down to this end of ice / 3z pitched forward and very tight on landing then foot down / fly cam is nice / music is really building & dramatic for spirals that are ok but music is overpower her right now / 2a bit of lean and swingy landing / music softens and layback is very nice / music builds to closing during combo spin that's ok / pb 83.72 / spirals level 2 all others level 1

Rosaleen

Medalist
ROM Roxana Luca Start 15
Notes Music: The screen behind the Mirror wearing black halter / 3l / 3t fell / flycam is nice to inside edge / 3s / music fades and changes now has a beat and some dancing & chor at center ice / an upright spin that I sure hope wasn't meant to be a layback / 2?? / spirals start with inside out end in catch knee / 2f / cam to outside edge ch cam is ok pos but slow / diag steps as music picks up move quite well and are with music - mmm not bad / 2a2t / cam sit layback that doesn't lay back sit upright / pb 78.65 / upright spin was level 2 everything else level 1

Rosaleen

Medalist
FRA Candice Didier Start 16
Notes Music: Casper soundtrack wearing white unitard / some chor to start things off / 3f fell / ?? / 3z fell out / layback spin with strt leg is nice / a bit of chor and down the ice for 2t / music picks up - strt steps are ok / upright spin with pos variations is nice / music softens and slows and some chor & movement in place / 2s 1/2 l turns 2s / 3t as music picks up again cam sit A back cam sit upright stretch / music softens again (after building) flycam has nice pos but is slow / spirals with change of edge in catch foot pos / 2a / into closeing pos / pb 71.41 / all elements level 1

Rosaleen

Medalist
ESP Laura Fernandez Start 17
Notes Music: Firebird wearing orange & yellow / music starts out with the familiar chords / 3t hand down / 2-1/2 sal came out forward on 2 feet / music is building & speeding up but she's not / 2z / 2a is nice / flycam to strong inside edge to donut / music softens with familiar (very familiar today) refrain and some nice chor to go with it / 3l stood up on it probably underrot / combo spin as music starts to build is very well done with good pos and inside edge on sit / fell on a jump I didn't see the take off of / layback as music fades is strt leg with flat back / strt ftwrk as music starts to build again and then into her spirals with an inside out foot to ear as music hits crescendo / then a 1a 1/2l 2f seq - falls on filp / into combo spin that I think was cut short because of how long it took her to get up from the fall / camel & comb spins & spirals level 2 rest level 1

Rosaleen

Medalist
BLR Evgenia Melnik Start 18
Notes Music: Orental Medley wearing shading of light green / bit of chor to set things going / 2z2t / 2a? / flycam to donut / some dancing to music as it speeds up and builds / 3t2t bit forward on triple / layback has good speed with foot to head / music changes and softens / 3f fell not sure if rot / 3s stumbled out / loop didn't get off ice / music is really nice and I'm swaying to it / ? Didn't really get off ice / spirals as music fades and starts to pick up again and this is very familiar / back catilever has the crowd clapping and me going wow - yes it's a gimmick in a way but a neat one / now back to the program for the final spin that starts with a flying forward sit / pb 48.99 / all elements level 1

Rosaleen

Medalist
TPE Diane Chen Start 19
Notes withdrew as noted above

CAN Cynthia Phaneuf Start 20
Notes Music: Capriccio Espagnol wearing white with navy blue designs / starts music with fanfare and some chor to match / smooth melody now into 3z turns 3t / and back this way 3f hand down / music builds and a bit ofmovement and 2a landed right on beat / some more chor / flycam has lovely speed and pos into illusions - fly could be bettwen / flute type sounds and some chor and now the violin and some more chor and foot stomps / back this way for 2nd lutz and bad lean forward - fell / layback with foot to head / music changes and some chor to match and it picks up long setup into 3l / 3s fell / spirals as music mellows / 3t hand down / back cam is fast with arms behind back to inside edge / strt ftwrk as music really builds and she falls on her stomach 1/2 way through / flycam starts combo spin that is quite good / she's not happy with that at all / pb 101.90 / flycam spin lev 2 & cam spin 2 rest level 1