Article re Ladies QR | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Article re Ladies QR

swannanoa54

On the Ice
jesslily said:
It does not look like that Michelle is really eager to go on for next Olympics. For the past two years she just played by year or by day and had nor definite plan. With two coach changes her skating abilily has been getting less and less each year, but somehow she did not very bad for the past two years. It also seems she and her coach did not do anything to keep up with the new judging system, they rather waited until world and just show up to compete. On the other hand Sasha and Irena along with many other world competitiors did add many tricks to show their total packages, spin positions, sprals, fast foot work, etc. Frankly speaking Michelle indeed need to slim down a little. The extra few ponds could make you look a lot less artistic.

Just goes to show that you haven't read much on figure skating this year. RA was extremely displeased with Kwan for NOT doing the COP. And everyone knew that Scott Williams was just an interim coach. Ok, maybe not everyone, but I certainly didn't think she would stay with him.

And, in case you didn't watch Campbells (which is the Bolero program I actually fell in love with unfinished as it was), she did have "new tricks". But it isn't like Irina added anything "new" and "refreshing" to her revamped LP. She just got "biellmanitis" to her spins, spirals, etc, maximizing points since being repetitive is just fine.

The extra few ponds could make you look a lot less artistic

I'd look a lot less artistic myself if I was carrying around extra ponds especially if they were fully stocked with some fish. :rofl:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
realistic51 said:
I'd look a lot less artistic myself if I was carrying around extra ponds especially if they were fully stocked with some fish. :rofl:

I know, and all that extra water would just flood the ice and impair your movement, which wouldn't do much for the artistry either.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

millie

Medalist
JonnyCoop said:
I know, and all that extra water would just flood the ice and impair your movement, which wouldn't do much for the artistry either.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Finally Sasha is out of the bashing limelight!!!She is doing her own thing, now that all the attention is not on her, she can glide in or slide in for gold. Go Sasha :rock: :rock: :rock: Go Joannie :rock: :rock: :rock:

millie said:
Finally Sasha is out of the bashing limelight!!!She is doing her own thing, now that all the attention is not on her...
This is a good point. Sasha does seem more relaxed. I think being back with John Nicks is starting to pay off. Plus, the expectations on her are not so great this year. She should not worry about catching Irina, just "slide and glide" through her programs and see what happens.

Go Sasha!

(Go Jenny for a top ten finish!)

Mathman

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
millie said:
Finally Sasha is out of the bashing limelight!!!She is doing her own thing, now that all the attention is not on her, she can glide in or slide in for gold. Go Sasha :rock: :rock: :rock: Go Joannie :rock: :rock: :rock:

If she decides to slide hope that it's on her feet and not her butt. :biggrin:

Kwanford Wife said:
Is it possible that we, the fans & in particular the uber Kwan fans (myself included), have not been listening to Michelle & her intentions this year? Is it possible that only the fans are gleeful, surprised, sick, and agast at her placement in the QR?

If you think back to all the "competiting on my terms" comments during a transistional year in the judging, what was she really saying?

She knew that skipping the GP & testing CoP at Worlds was a HUGE risk but did it anyway because she could. How important is a World title to her now? Is it possible that she made a calculated move & is really treating Worlds as a test before the "big show?" Could it be that she's marking her time until Turin? I had this somewhat blastphous thought while reading the comment about thinking too much on the spins & all the tweeking & never seeing the final Bolero this season... This from a person who is a hard core competitor. Doesn't add up. Particularily when you look at how perfect Spartucus is... And CoP friendly. (I think... I was never good at algebra)

One last thing: I wouldn't be surprised if she keeps Bolero for next year. The whole connectedness thing (first world title in 96, last competition is olympics in 06, T&D Bolero, Dean did the choro,) is too tempting for MK, the historian & legend to ignore...

If the above is just the ramblings of a disappointed uberfan, please let me know. But I'm really interested in everyone's thoughts.

Kwanford Wife
Yes, those thoughts have crossed my mind, too. How can Michelle not have tried to do anything with Bolero yet?

But on balance, no, I don't think Michelle is following a secret master plan which includes deliberately blowing off worlds.

As for whether she intends to use Bolero again next year, only this time do it right, she did give some hints along those lines earlier in the season. She said that she wanted to use Bolero as her Olympic music, but Arutunian talked her into getting it out there this season. So it is possible that this version is just a half-hearted trial run.

But I hope not. Again, I cannot see how such a strategy could possibly benefit her. The best strategy in any sport is to go all out, give it everything you've got, and win every event you enter going away. Anything else, you just end up outsmarting yourself, IMO.

In any case, I hope she does not keep Bolero next year. Michelle can skate to any music whatever, or to none. But so far Bolero has been a burden on her shoulders -- she is trying to carry the music instead of the music carrying her. What she needs is music that puts wings on her feet. (And a song in her heart :love:, LOL.)

JMO.

Mathman

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
Piel said:
If she decides to slide hope that it's on her feet and not her butt. :biggrin:

I knew that when I brought Sasha's name up, you couldn't let it pass without making a negative comment!! I don't think that the judges cares if slides in on her feet or her b--, they will give her the marks that she deserves for all her hard work that she has done in skating and doing her best to get to the level of the COP. Even though she may fall, she will get up and skate her heart out. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Millie, are you her Mother??? For gosh sakes, get a sense of humor.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I knew that when I brought Sasha's name up, you couldn't let it pass without making a negative comment!! I don't think that the judges cares if slides in on her feet or her b--, they will give her the marks that she deserves for all her hard work that she has done in skating and doing her best to get to the level of the COP. Even though she may fall, she will get up and skate her heart out.

That's odd, I thought the competitions were supposed to be on the merit of the skate, not a body of work, previous skates, or "hard work".............isn't that called being "held up"? ;) 42

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
It should be pointed out that only 20% of the competition is over. Way too early to proclaim winners or losers. There's still that other 80% to go. And factor in the X.25 on the QR scores and there's really not much point difference between the scores. I'd look for some bumping around during the SP and FS. Kwan can redeem herself. Cohen can mess up big time. Irina can have a Euros skate again. Someone from the bottom can throw it down and change things around.

It's not over till it's over! Stay tuned...

mzheng

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
With her failure to land her triples this time (didn't she land at least 5 in all her prior performances?) where should she be ranked -- under the old system? Also, what is the worst that could happen? Finishing off the podium? I recall reading about a great baseball player who was a great hitter. He stayed on long after his prime. Today, no one talks about his poor record in his later years. People talk only about the length of time his hitting records lasted, and how he hit without steroids. The player's name -- Babe Ruth.

With Plushy's withdraw from the worlds. Michelle's decision to skip GP even make more sense now. Who can deny her achivement in FS? No single man or woman had won more than 5 worlds tiltles in a triple jump era.

mzheng

Record Breaker
kyla2 said:
Part of me wonders if she just doesn't have the motivation anymore. Again, I feel somewhat traitorous saying these things, but I am saying what I think.

It was hard for her to find the motivation really. But as her fan I don't care her motivation, as long as she is health and stays in scene so that I could still enjoy her dress up and skates beautyfully I don't care if she motivated enough or not. Anti-fan can wait for her being knocked off the world podium, knocked off US team,...finally she decides she had enough and retired. Until that day I just be happy to be able to watch her skating and schedule my time around her skating TV schedule.

Hikaru

Final Flight
I come from watching the men's short and free and pair's short, a little angry at my espn for showing only 2 hours instead of the 3 the schedule said, but oh well...

Mathman said:
This is a good point. Sasha does seem more relaxed. I think being back with John Nicks is starting to pay off. Plus, the expectations on her are not so great this year. She should not worry about catching Irina, just "slide and glide" through her programs and see what happens.

ITA with you MM. Sasha seems to be more at ease with herself, and I think that Mr. Nicks knows her and how her mind works, so he doesn't put too much pressure on her, so she feels more secure. Like you said, she shouldn't worry about catching anybody, and just on going out and do her best. :agree:

tannisming

Rinkside
It is an interesting concept that Michelle might not care about Worlds due to focus on the Olympics but think about this. Would the U.S. really consider sending someone else if she totally bombs out now? They might. I don't think Michelle would chance it unless the federation promised her an Olympic spot no matter how bad she does at Worlds. The whole thing is so political. Who knows.

mzheng

Record Breaker
tannisming said:
It is an interesting concept that Michelle might not care about Worlds due to focus on the Olympics but think about this. Would the U.S. really consider sending someone else if she totally bombs out now? They might. I don't think Michelle would chance it unless the federation promised her an Olympic spot no matter how bad she does at Worlds. The whole thing is so political. Who knows.
She has to go next Nationals to earn a US Olympic team spot, which may well be the one she helped earned in this worlds.

Things happen, don't over analysis it. She is the one to take the whole responsible, she diddn't blame anyone, so be it.