Men - Free Program - Comments | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men - Free Program - Comments

shine

Record Breaker
So when was the last time that a World championship was won by someone who has never previously medalled there NOR at the European Championships?
OMG I'm soooo on cloud 9..............

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
shine said:
So when was the last time that a World championship was won by someone who has never previously medalled there NOR at the European Championships?
OMG I'm soooo on cloud 9..............
That would be Kurt Browning in '89 :biggrin:

Seriously, I know that we would have to look at European men only. Interesting question..... I wonder how far back we'd have to go???

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Eeyora

Final Flight
Wow this is a shock., Three cheers for the top three. COP's really makes the standings unpredictable. It will be one interesting Olympics. As of right now we have many medal contenders. I just hope it isn't to much to soon for Evan.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Eeyora said:
Wow this is a shock., Three cheers for the top three. COP's really makes the standings unpredictable. It will be one interesting Olympics. As of right now we have many medal contenders. I just hope it isn't to much to soon for Evan.
Good point, Eeyora. I am very happy for Evan and Jeff, but if Plush and Weir had been 100% healthy, I doubt they would have been on the podium (Stephane would have made it regardless).

nicole_l

Final Flight
I am very happy for Evan and Jeff, but if Plush and Weir had been 100% healthy, I doubt they would have been on the podium (Stephane would have made it regardless).
Agreed, but I think it would have been a close call between Jeff and Johnny with Joubert not far behind (with a clean skate, anyway).

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
Men - Free Program -

Right on! I couldn't be happier with the results. I don't doubt injuries, however, I feel that if Plachenko had been in the lead that he would have competed. Joubert needs to work on camel spins. As for Johnny Weir, I think that sometimes people have injuries, sometimes they have bad skates and sometimes they blame bad skates on injuries. So, being the poor sports men that I am, I say boo hoo to Johny Weir.
Daniel
Little Lulu

emma

Record Breaker
I'm not a big Joubert fan, but i felt really really bad for him tonight. And Griasev...yikes, he must feel just terrible....I hate competitions like this, too many injuries and too many bad skates after all that hard work and preparation.

I'm still confused about some of the scoring though...Like I really don't understand Li's marks, but I guess I need to look more closely at the elements and marks.

I am glad for medalists, and I do hope that Johny Weir gets better fast and that he kics butt next year!!!! It wasn't his best performance of the program, but he should be proud that he stepped up. I would LOVE to see Plushy and Weir and Lambiel on the podium next year....oops, I love Eman too, and a bunch of others....well, here's hoping for a lot of healing and a great season next year.

Hikaru

Final Flight
after watching the men's FS, I agree with the Eurosport people in which I would have place Johnny for the bronze. I see him next season comming strong. I'm sad for Brian, he's such a good guy and skater, but alas, had a bad skate today. Next season will be very interesting in the men's field! We have a whole new world podium this season, who would have thought! :clap:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Although not totally faultless there was plenty of really enjoyable skating in men´s freeskate. I especially loved watching the skating of Zelenka, Othmann, Serov, van der Perren, Weir, Sandhu, Buttle, Li, Lambiel and Lysacek!!!!

Very happy for Lambiel´s win, and even more for the fact that he obviously has become an excellent competitor that remained really focused all the time. He has matured, WOW. And also feeling very happy for Buttle and Lysacek. Would have wanted to see Weir on the podium, too...

What ever happened to Joubert??? Did he get too nervous as there was a true possibility of him being able to win the gold as Plushenko withdraw? Or did he get nervous because he notices suddenly that there are perhaps also other strong medal contenders? Oh my, what a stiff and wooden skater he is, and especially as seen to skate in the same group with Buttle, Lambiel and Lysacek. LOL, if only Weir had been there too....

I was not surprised of Griazev at all, I expected that outcome from him. So, now Russia has only two slots for Olympics and Worlds next year.

Last edited:

diver chick

On the Ice
Jaana What ever happened to Joubert??? Did he get too nervous as there was a true possibility of him being able to win the gold as Plushenko withdraw? Or did he get nervous because he notices suddenly that there are perhaps also other strong medal contenders? Oh my said:
When Stephane was interviewed by Gwendal after the competition he mentioned that he had been incredibly surprised by how nervous Brian was prior to the Free Skate and that he definitely wasn't his usual self, I think that was evident from Brian's free skate. Brian's own coach said when she was interviewed, that Brian had just been inexperienced, which somewhat surprised me and all I can hope is that she meant he is not experienced with dealing with pressure. And he would have been under some extreme pressure last night, with Plushenko withdrawing the French Federation, the coaches, other skaters, fans and himself must have thought that if he couldn't win last night then he may never have another chance last night. Also Brian has never had to deal with the pressure of a preolympic year and the expectation that goes with that. There would have been such a huge weight on his shoulders to do well at this worlds as lets face being a world medallist going into the Olympic Year and the Olympics themselves would have been such a big boost to anyone.
He has had a rough season with all the coaching changes and has said himself that he really started to hate skating at one point and was only really getting back to enjoying it at Europeans when he was back with his original coach and things were going better.

I really hope that this is just a glitch, a bump in the road that he has to deal with. It will definitely be a real test of his character and one i really hope he can pass. I really do enjoy watching his skating and would really like to see him do well next season.

Hikaru

Final Flight
diver chick said:
When Stephane was interviewed by Gwendal after the competition he mentioned that he had been incredibly surprised by how nervous Brian was prior to the Free Skate and that he definitely wasn't his usual self, I think that was evident from Brian's free skate. Brian's own coach said when she was interviewed, that Brian had just been inexperienced, which somewhat surprised me and all I can hope is that she meant he is not experienced with dealing with pressure. And he would have been under some extreme pressure last night, with Plushenko withdrawing the French Federation, the coaches, other skaters, fans and himself must have thought that if he couldn't win last night then he may never have another chance last night. Also Brian has never had to deal with the pressure of a preolympic year and the expectation that goes with that. There would have been such a huge weight on his shoulders to do well at this worlds as lets face being a world medallist going into the Olympic Year and the Olympics themselves would have been such a big boost to anyone.
He has had a rough season with all the coaching changes and has said himself that he really started to hate skating at one point and was only really getting back to enjoying it at Europeans when he was back with his original coach and things were going better.

I really hope that this is just a glitch, a bump in the road that he has to deal with. It will definitely be a real test of his character and one i really hope he can pass. I really do enjoy watching his skating and would really like to see him do well next season.

ITA with you! :clap: I think Brian has gone through a lot of changes this season and it all caught up. He's a good skater, so I hope he comes back strong.

YRLEE

Spectator
kzarah said:
As for Johnny Weir, I think that sometimes people have injuries, sometimes they have bad skates and sometimes they blame bad skates on injuries. So, being the poor sports men that I am, I say boo hoo to Johny Weir.
Daniel
Little Lulu

His rather disappointing spins and steps in the FS proved he was really injured. Usually he is a good spinner. I've never seen him spin that poorly.