3 for the olympics? | Golden Skate

3 for the olympics?

Lizzy

Spectator
Am I right in thinking that the United States has, now, 3 spots for the 2006 olympics in ice-dance :clap: ? Haven't they lost most of the top/eligible american teams? Who knew that once the US finally got 3 places, they wouldn't have the teams to go? So...what will happen? Will they fill all of the spots they have?

nicole_l

Final Flight
Yup...
Belbin & Agosto aren't eligible
Gregory & Pethukov (sp) are eligible for the Olympics
Manon & O'Meara split
Stiegler & Magervosky (sp) aren't eligible
Matthews & Zavosin aren't eligible (I don't think)
Goodwin & Bommentre split

the Olympics are going to be very interesting for U.S. ice dance.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
nicole_l said:
Matthews & Zavosin aren't eligible (I don't think).
Zavosin may or may not get his citizenship before next year.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Even though they said the rumors weren't true, does anyone think that Stiegler might pair up with Tchernyshev just for the Olympic season?
Because I would die.

mzheng

Record Breaker
B/A earned the spot, but they are not eligible. How ironic!
But I understand rule is the rule. It must be followed.

icedancer2

Rinkside
Maybe David Mitchell and Lauren Geller-Rabinowitz will be back?

I wish Ryan and Lydia hadn't split -- I loved them together...

We shall see. Maybe Tanith's citizenship will come through and we'll all be happy!! :clap:

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Johnny Weir offered to marry Tanith to get her citizenship. Cute! How about Peter T and Jamie S?

JOHIO2

Medalist
Never say never. I'd like to point out that even if the sticklers for "rules" don't respond and expedite Tanith's citizenship, there is always the special act of Congress. They can make her a citizen with one roll-call. Place your bets, anyone?

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I don't think it will happen. Nobody ever wants to set a precedent. Believe it or, not, Congress has more important things to consider...LOL!

I think they might have had a chance if the Olympics were to be held in US, but since it is in Italy and overall, US team does so good in Winter sports, I just don't think it is a priority.

Yana

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
I don't think it will happen. Nobody ever wants to set a precedent. Believe it or, not, Congress has more important things to consider...LOL!

Yana

Yes, like baseball... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kwanford Wife

linda vanwormer

Rinkside
Peter T.

nicole_l said:
Even though they said the rumors weren't true, does anyone think that Stiegler might pair up with Tchernyshev just for the Olympic season?
Because I would die.
What about Peter skating with Lydia? Could that be anything that could happen? She's supposedly looking for a new partner.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Apparantly, Lydia wants to skate with her boyfriend, that's why she broke up with her partner.

As far as Peter skating with anybody..does it make sence? It would only be for a single season. He is almost 35, and all of these ladies are in their late teens. There will be no future for them, at least in the eligibles. I am sure Lydia and Tiff and lets' say Jaimie (who I heard is retired) would want to achieve something besides just going to the Olympics. Having said that, I am not sure Peter would be interested in training hard just for that..he fullfilled his dream and went to Olympics already.

Great news is that Melissa and Denis can go, and that's a top team.

Yana

Dyan

On the Ice
I used to also be one of the Jaime/Peter cheerleaders until I read that she hasn't grown in height at all since she and Justin made such a splash during the 99/00 season. Her name is on the partner search page and she listed her height as 5'3" so despite having (IMHO) the right style and body line for Peter she isn't tall enough. I agree with Jaime wanting to go for more than just one season so even if she was the perfect match for Peter I also don't think she would be happy to have to go on another partner search after just one season. If only we could magically shave a few years off Peter's age.

The Peter/Tiffany rumour turned out to be just that a rumour and even though they would look great together Tiffany and Sergey are fantastic and according to ABC Sergey should have his citizenship in time for Turino should he and Tiffany finish well enough at Nationals next year to make the team.

Watching the dance competition from Worlds this past week I realized how much I missed seeing Peter skate and I was thinking how nice it would have been for him to skate in Russia.

I think the Olympic team will definitely include Melissa and Denis as well as Loren and David who I feel have a great chance at making the team as well. The third spot could easily go to Jaime and whatever partner she ends up with should she really return or I'd like to see Ryan O'Meara and new partner make the trip.