Comments Having Seen Pairs Final | Golden Skate

Comments Having Seen Pairs Final

Well I was in tears for the courage and triumph of Totmianina & Marinin and the heartbreak and bad luck of Shen & Zhao.

T/M usually appear so aloof in the way they express their emotions, but tonight, with everything that's happened since the fall and The Fall, then today in practice with the crash, having World's take place in their home country, who skating federation didn't support them so they had to come to the US, and completing that program with such guts, their reactions after they finished spoke volumes. I certainly have a newfound respect for both of them, which is after the newfound respect I had for them in the way they each came back from The Fall.

Of course I am heartbroken that Shen & Zhao could not skate, but you know Hongbo reallly, absolutely could not skate for him not to be out there competing. But given their unfortunate withdrawal, T/M were by far the class of the field. No judging controversy as far as I'm concerned, at least not at the top.

:clap: :clap: :clap: for T/M, our very deserving 2005 Pairs champions.

And a quick and full recovery for Hongbo Zhao so we can see S/Z at the Olympics.

Rgirl

Last edited:

brad640

On the Ice
It's amazing how much media coverage T&M have had this season as a result of the fall. Most major news shows carried a clip of them winning worlds along with the fall. They are sure to be the media darlings of the pairs event in Torino. I have been a fan of their skating for a long time, and I am happy they won. I hope all of this extra attention helps their career rather than causing a distraction.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I am glad that their will be more than one favorite in Torino. Nichol has done wonders for T/M. I loved this program

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Its always cool when a nonfan becomes a true fan based on one performance in figure skating... I never liked T/M & really got sick of hearing about The Fall... not because it wasn't scary but because I would assume that pairs have major falls on regular basis, just not in prime time...

But that short program had me in tears... Now that's when you want the 6.0 system... The CoP just didn't have the same feel to it... S/Z will be fine next year & more than likely win the Gold. But I'm lovin that T/M have this moment ~ particularily since they DIDN'T have federation support...

Again, I am so looking forward to next season... All this drama in an Olympic Year? How cool is that?

Kwanford Wife

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
ITA RGirl....

Rgirl said:
Well I was in tears for the courage and triumph of Totmianina & Marinin and the heartbreak and bad luck of Shen & Zhao.

T/M usually appear so aloof in the way they express their emotions, but tonight, with everything that's happened since the fall and The Fall, then today in practice with the crash, having World's take place in their home country, who skating federation didn't support them so they had to come to the US, and completing that program with such guts, their reactions after they finished spoke volumes. I certainly have a newfound respect for both of them, which is after the newfound respect I had for them in the way they each came back from The Fall.

Of course I am heartbroken that Shen & Zhao could not skate, but you know Hongbo reallly, absolutely could not skate for him not to be out there competing. But given their unfortunate withdrawal, T/M were by far the class of the field. No judging controversy as far as I'm concerned, at least not at the top.

:clap: :clap: :clap: for T/M, our very deserving 2005 Pairs champions.

And a quick and full recovery for Hongbo Zhao so we can see S/Z at the Olympics.

Rgirl

T&M made VAST improvements this year IMO in their music and program choices. I loved their LP and IMO they deserved gold for sure. Did you see their SP? I (thankfully) got to watch it live on the Russian feed, and Ave Maria brought me to tears. Real tears. S&Z are the only pair ever that brought me there before.

I was so sad the S&Z had to withdraw. Whatever their future holds, I SURE hope coaching in China is part of it someday. I hope our Chinese friends will comment on this. I just think they have taken Bin Yao's original vision to an ultimate level. I hope they can contribute to the Chinese Pairs (or singles!!) skating programs for many more years to come.

OK - back to T&M. I will watch Ave Maria about a billion more times until the Tivo or DVD wear out - whichever comes first. (OK, sentimental side note - I had a party of about 50 people at my house when I lived in FL. My brother proposed, ON ONE KNEE, to my SIL to an a capella version (aspiring opera singer) of this song - live. Not a dry eye in the house. So yes, it's a sentimental fave of mine!!!)

DG

Hikaru

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
T&M made VAST improvements this year IMO in their music and program choices. I loved their LP and IMO they deserved gold for sure. Did you see their SP? I (thankfully) got to watch it live on the Russian feed, and Ave Maria brought me to tears. Real tears. S&Z are the only pair ever that brought me there before.

I was so sad the S&Z had to withdraw. Whatever their future holds, I SURE hope coaching in China is part of it someday. I hope our Chinese friends will comment on this. I just think they have taken Bin Yao's original vision to an ultimate level. I hope they can contribute to the Chinese Pairs (or singles!!) skating programs for many more years to come.

I have to say that Ave Maria really suits T/M very well, I'm happy they chose that as their SP, and I love it (although so far the only people that have made me cry tears of joy are S/Z).

That aside, even with the small mistakes S/Z had in the short, I have got to say that I simply LOVE their Clair de Lune! I've been waiting to see that program all season, too bad they couldn't perform the tech at their best, but the emotion was there, they look at each other when skating, and I get goosebumps just watching it. I wonder if both pairs will keep their SP for next season??

emma

Record Breaker
I love when skaters have new programs each year...but I actually hope that T/M and S/Z keep their short programs for next year....that would be sooooo cool to see both of these pairs perform both of these shorts PERFECTLY at the Olympics...i already have goose bumps thinking about it.

Other pairs have brought tears to my eyes (particularly Dimitriev with both his partners)...but S/Z do it to me too and often....but I will admit that T/M's Ave Maria is special too...I already can't wait until next season.

Hikaru

Final Flight
emma said:
I love when skaters have new programs each year...but I actually hope that T/M and S/Z keep their short programs for next year....that would be sooooo cool to see both of these pairs perform both of these shorts PERFECTLY at the Olympics...i already have goose bumps thinking about it.

Other pairs have brought tears to my eyes (particularly Dimitriev with both his partners)...but S/Z do it to me too and often....but I will admit that T/M's Ave Maria is special too...I already can't wait until next season.

Oh I hope they do keep their short, especially S/Z. I also like T/M's variations on a theme of Paganini (their short in 2004), but since that one would be two seasons old, I don't think they'll use it, so Ave Maria has more chances of being use next season. But I really hope S/Z keep their Clair de Lune: talk about a music that suits them!

soogar

Record Breaker
I don't think that Shen and Zhao are going to be as much as a factor in the Olympics as everyone makes them out to be. From what I've seen, I think the Chinese Federation should make a real effort to get some good choreo for the Zhangs b/c I see them as stepping up to the plate and challenging T&M. Was anyone else surprised at the comment made on the ESPN broadcast how Tong wishes his partner were heavier so she could be stronger? Then there was some explanation on the Chinese Federation being very strict with the girls' weight. That kind of goes against some of the commentary made on the previous Pang thread that she's naturally that skinny. Watching them last night, Pang was having a lot of problems holding the positions on some of those lifts.

emma

Record Breaker
soogar said:
I don't think that Shen and Zhao are going to be as much as a factor in the Olympics as everyone makes them out to be.

Because of their injury at this worlds and withdrawing? or because until this week were undefeated this season but hadn't competed against T/M, or because P/T (russians) are soo good? I'm confused. They will certainly have a fight for the gold; and even the best can seriously mess up (a la browning) but experienced Olympians they are already....makes me think serious contenders for next season barring more injury.

I am still curious about the withdraw though....anyone have more updates on that?

When I first started seeing T/M in skating comps. aired on tv, I really didn't care for them at all...then I started appreciating their technical abilities but still didn't care for them overall. Since seeing them live in Champions on Ice last year, I've begun to like them much more. They seemed so much more "soft" and seemed to relate to each other and the audience better when I saw them live. I have been in their corner all year, even tho I still would list Shen/Zhao as my top pair team. I was moved by the emotion they showed after their free skate which I saw on tv last night. I'm very happy for them! And very much looking forward to seeing them in 2 weeks at the COI show in Philadelphia. I hope Tatianna's(sp?--sorry if it's wrong) back injury isn't severe and doesn't keep them from appearing in the show.

Hikaru

Final Flight
emma said:
Because of their injury at this worlds and withdrawing? or because until this week were undefeated this season but hadn't competed against T/M, or because P/T (russians) are soo good? I'm confused. They will certainly have a fight for the gold; and even the best can seriously mess up (a la browning) but experienced Olympians they are already....makes me think serious contenders for next season barring more injury.

I am still curious about the withdraw though....anyone have more updates on that?

I think it would be a mistake for anybody not to consider Shen/Zhao as a threat to get the OGM. They are the strongest pair team in my book, not only technically, but presentation-wise. Unfortunately we couldn't see them at their best in this world championship, but I wouldn't count them out. The got very high levels for their spiral sequence and some spins, but some spins got negative GoE because of the out of sync issue. However S/Z were by far the strongest pair through out the whole GP series. I so would have loved to see their Soong Sisters program improved (as it was reported that they were changing many things to improve in the levels). I don't deny that T/M are a strong pair with great skating kills,and they have improved; but S/Z have a special connection with the audience that most of the time is absent with T/M.

I do agree though that the Zhangs need better choreo. It surprises me, because, correct me if I'm wrong, Pang and Tong's program was made by Sasha Zhulin, as was the Zhang's free skate, wasn't it? it's just that I loved Butterfly lovers, but I didn't like the Zhang's free skate, mostly because of the music, and it's strange that both programs were made by the same choreographer.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I noticed this whole season that T & M were much more "alive". They have been smiling, etc. most of this season and it sure made a difference in how they come across. I suppose their coach or someone has talked to them about it.