Michelle Should Have Won Bronze!! | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Michelle Should Have Won Bronze!!

R.D.

Record Breaker
tdnuva said:
Hm.

Am I entitled to have an opinion about a skater or not? And if a fan of that skater does not like my opinion does that automatically mean I hate that skater??? Sorry, but I can't follow that logic. Concerning Kwan there are several points for me.

One is - she had gorgeous routines. And she had flawless performances. But not all of her routines are great and not all performances flawless. And I think even a fan of hers should be able to see that.

Second. When I point out a mistake of hers there is no need to rant about the fact that others have flaws, too. When we would discuss Slutskaia I would point out the flaws, too. But in a discussion about Kwan it should be possible to talk about the good AND bad points without being bashed.

Third. One thing I really don't like about Kwan are some examples in her fanbase. I know that she can't choose all of her fanbase, but some who only see her as kween and best skater ever tend to be so over the top it makes me just run and hide.

Fourth. My bigges problem with Kwan these days are not her jumps (they never were that high that I would have gushed over them) nor her other elements (sometimes still very good). But I don't get what she does concerning choreography and interpretation. Concerning interpretation I always have the feeling that she tries to do something to the music for some seconds and then she falls out of the "role" to prepare the next big element. I don't like that. (my taste here - and I feel free enough to express my taste, ok?) And concerning choreography, her work (or lack thereof) with the choreography of Bolero this season was just ridiculous. And btw - I said that from the first performance cause there was not enough of Dean choreography to call it that way from the beginning. But why she then took away even more of it from performance to performance is beyond me.

And now again - that does NOT mean I hate her. This is just my observation of her routines this year (ok - and last years were already a step in that direction). I have to add, I would say about many other skaters, too, that they lack interpretation and choreography - only I don't see half a dozen of threads about them. So, the ongoing presence of fans who gush and gush about her "kween" without seeing the problems provokes that I have to think about those flaws over and over again. I would also like to discuss other skaters, too - only they don't have such a fanbase who are that obsessed. :laugh:

Wow. Couldn't have said that any better. I agree with most of your points about MK, as well as my own reason that I stated above. I don't hate Kwan however (even though sometimes I feel like I do with some of her INSANE fans :sheesh: )

Insane Kwan Posse

In defense of the Insane Kwan Posse...

Do you guys know the song from Chorus Line that goes, "Everything is beautiful at the ballet?" In that song there are three girls singing about why they became dancers. One had always been made to feel that she was ugly, one had a troubled and unhappy home life, and the third, her father did not love her. But

"I am pretty; I am happy; I would love to (dance with you, daddy)...at the ballet."

To me, this is figure skating. A perfect fantasy world where all the girls are princesses and all the boys are knights in shining armor. That's where I want to go. Michelle takes me there faster and with truer aim than anyone else.

I wish for every skating fan that your own personal favorite be as sure a guide as Michelle is for me.

Well, different strokes for different folks. If your view of figure skating is that it is a competitive sport played out down here in the real world, with real people comprising all the sins and virtues of our common lot, OK. That's cool, too.

tdnuva

On the Ice
Mathman said:
Do you guys know the song from Chorus Line that goes, "Everything is beautiful at the ballet?" (..) Well, different strokes for different folks. If your view of figure skating is that it is a competitive sport played out down here in the real world, with real people comprising all the sins and virtues of our common lot, OK. That's cool, too.

Knowing song and musical (and liking it very much) - I still can do the double talk between the content of a play/musical/skating program and the real world :)

curious

Final Flight
what bothers people is that a very sick irina can go all out and a healthy michell can't.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
curious said:
what bothers people is that a very sick irina can go all out and a healthy michell can't.

I don't think it would bother people if, for whatever reason, Michelle couldn't go all out. I think what bothers people is the feelin that, for whatever reason, Michelle didn't go all out.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
I don't think it would bother people if, for whatever reason, Michelle couldn't go all out. I think what bothers people is the feelin that, for whatever reason, Michelle didn't go all out.
I don't think Kwan didn't go all out in competition, because I think she did the best she could in each phase, however much I think that Bolero bogged her down. Unfortunately, her best at Worlds 2005 wasn't enough, and her LP performance was the performance she needed to start with in the qualis and build from.

I think she didn't go all out in preparation. I don't think for a second that she didn't work hard in practice nor that Buttle was duped by stardom when he said that her work ethic was an inspiration to him. I mean the preparation of being in competition mentally and physically, and of having recent experience of dealing with less-than-adequate conditions in a competitive, not touring, situation, subpar performances, international travel, a "foreign" environment, hungry competitors, international panels of judges, and less-than-adulatory crowds.

mzheng

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
I don't think Kwan didn't go all out in competition, because I think she did the best she could in each phase, however much I think that Bolero bogged her down. Unfortunately, her best at Worlds 2005 wasn't enough, and her LP performance was the performance she needed to start with in the qualis and build from.

Well, Peter made comment that she skated defensively in qualify. He was on site in that competetion and had the chance to watch her both in practice and competetion. To me that means she diddn't go all out.

I didn't think MK was out to win at all. Somehow, she seemed to be marking the Quali. I thought the SP was excellent - not her best - but beautifully skated. The music worked here. The LP was fine but again not her best and that music did not, as Dick would say, sing. For some reason, she didn't appear to me to be out to win but I think she did want to give nice performances. She did in the SP and the LP wasn't bad.

She is so private and what comes next we won't know.

Sasha had a very good skate. I'm not an A-1 fan but I think she could have won this if she had put in 3 or 4 Bielmans. Anyway, she is not private, so those who read other forums, let's hear about her diary entries.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Anyway, she is not private

Not too sure about that one. Granted, she's not like Kwan and has quotes and pictures on her site, but I've seen inconsistencies between what she says in her journal and what is REALLY going on with her. (For example, her arriving in Moscow late, saying everything in NYC was fine when she was really depressed,etc.)