Canada's Bright New Pair Team | Golden Skate

Canada's Bright New Pair Team

L

LADSKATER

Canada's Bright New Pair Team

The Wirtz family is rich in figure skaters. A new team of Wirtz and Putnam have only been together for six months and wow are they loaded with talent. He is Chris Wirtz' nephew. They made their debut at the Canadians. Here is nice article about the Wirtz' family:

www.tsn.ca/figure_skating...p?ID=21899

Ladskater

K

Kara Bear

Re: Canada's Bright New Pair Team

LAD, thanks for the article.
I was blown away by Putman and Wirtz. I was upset because I was got without a tape but luckily TSN replayed the pairs event. Theres something about her...I know theres still a lot lacking with this pair, like the stuff between the tricks, but boy can I picture this team, especially her, being big in the future.

E

Excidra2001

I was also blown away by them. I think their SP set to "mediation" is little tribute to B&S. Because I saw a little resemblence. Am I the only one who thought they outskated L&A?

Canada sure has strong pairs and dance teams, I wish the same could be said of the ladies and men.

K

Kara Bear

I think thats why I like her so much...she reminds me of Elena B. She even looks a bit like her.

K

Kara Bear

As for them outskating L&A, I definitely agree. L&A were just not on that night. IMO, Putnam and Wirtz had the skate of the night.

B

Bleuchick

I am not sure how strong their coach is in pairs elements but he really need to do something quickly or they hire a new coach! My guess is that he is not a strong pairs coach.

1. do a split twist. they will not move further in world ranking if they can't do a triple split twist. He will have to work on his upper body muscle too.

2. help Wirtz throw Putnam with easy.

3. lifts and pairs spin need more attention.

I was impressed by their "pairness" more than the program or their technique. I think the pairness came out really well in this program but honestly, they still have alot to do.

Whether Putnam&Wirtz outskated L&A, I say no because L&A did not skate the way that we know they are capable of.

L

LADSKATER

Excidra2001:

Nothing wrong with our mens' field. It's always been rich too with talent. Our ladies is getting better. We have sadly lacked in that dept. since Karen Magnussen and Liz Manley. However, our male skaters continue to grow and flourish. I see at least six excellent talented guys out there. We are just so used to having Kurt, Brian and Elivs - we have to give these guys a chance to blossom.

Yes, I thought W&P's presentation was better than L&A - they didn't seem "in sync" with each other. I don't know what the problem was. It happens. I hope they fix whatever the problem is and focus on the worlds, because this team (L&A) has"got it" as well.

Ladskater

K

KMK0902

It's funny, I've heard nothing but praise for W/P, for their pairskills, for their lines etc etc, and my first thought when I saw them skate out was "ouch - just like the uncle, not big/strong enough for the big tricks". I just don't get the "oh's" and "ah's" for this team. I enjoyed them, but they'll have to improve order to for me to have the same feeling when they skate as I have when L/F skates for example.
It doesn't matter if they miss the sbs jumps, their ease and softness is awsome! Lenny puts Jazz down as if she was made of china. L/A makes me sit on the edge of my seat, they're powerful and demand your attention - too bad their FS wasn't up to it's usuall standard ( but rather here than in St. Petersburg ! )

Kat

K

Kara Bear

I was wondering about the lack of height difference as well. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised if she made it big, perhaps it would be with a different partner. Someone taller...more Anton-like.

L

LADSKATER

KMK0902:

They have the all important <strong>chemistry</strong> which is what makes a great pairs team gel - Sale and Pelletier had it right away as well. Wirtz and Putnam have only been together six months and it looks like a year. Some teams may have all the "tricks" right off the bat, but lack the chemistry and never quite make it. This team is new and yes, have to work on their elements, but they are both strong single skaters which also makes a difference. I see a bright future for them.

Ladskater

P

proudskatemom

I too think Elizabeth will eventually pair with another partner. Unless she decides to stick with singles.
BTW I believe she is the first female skater to medal at Canadians in both singles and pairs since Jamie Sale.

Bleuckick.....their coach specializes in pairs. He is Paul Wirtz, coach of (among others at Canadians) Kristy & Kris Wirtz, and Valerie Marcoux & Craig Buntin. I also see the problems you mentioned but think it has more to do with the fact that Sean is not as big as most pair men, and their short time together, inexperience. Did you know Elizabeth was paired with Craig Buntin for a short time this summer? They spent most the summer at their rink switching around pairs trying to find the right combinations.

R

RealtorGal

I didn't realize that Jaime had medalled in singles. Is that true?

K

Kara Bear

I don't know if she medalled...but she did compete for a bit between partners. But from what i can remember she didn't do very well..her jumps weren't that hot.

L

LADSKATER

I don't think she will move on - give them a couple of years for heavens sake! He will "fill out" - they are very young. Just because his uncle Kris is slight does not mean he will be. By the way Paul Wirtz is his uncle as well.

Ladskater

P

proudskatemom

Re:Jamie's singles career

Rgal....

In '94, Jamie achieved the same as Liz Putnam did this year. She came third in Senior pairs with Jason Turner, and third in Junior Ladies. David also came third in Junior Single men that year, but he didn't skate pairs. Jamie went to Lillehammer with Jason where they placed out of the top ten and decided to part. She then skated singles for most of the mid '90's while searching for a new partner. I think the highest she ever placed as a single was 5th, at Canadians, as a senior. David, started skating with Allison Gaylor (sister of Melanie Gaylor of Gaylor & Barkell, for those of you who remember) and did fairly well, placing as high as 2nd at senior Canadians. He also continued to skate singles, placing as high as 4th. They each pretty much continued to skate singles until they partnered with each other, and the rest is history........

B

Bleuchick

Re: Re:Jamie's singles career

proudskatemom - still it is unusual to see a senoir pair doing a double instead of the triple twist in the LP. Did L&A, L&F and B&M do double twists in the begining of their career together? I don't remember seeing that. Yes, I knew about Craig Buntin. First time I saw him with Valerie I thought now that is a pair. I like how he pays extra attention toward her. It is subtle but if you really look closely it shows.:)

Back to Jamie Sale - rgal, I didn't know either until someone gave me a compliation tape. Jamie is David's fourth partner and David is Jamie's second partner. They do look like a one-time-wonder-pair or a pair that came from nowhere. I think most people don't realize that they have been skating for so long and that the last 4 years was not some miracle but a cumulation of all those years. One can argue that perhaps this past pairs experience made things a little easier for them and that Richard Gauthier(former coach) really didn't have to teach them much about pairs elements but how to communicate with each other. By the time they got to Jan Ullmark..it was just a matter of preparing for the olympics mentally and ironing out the technical problems of Jamie Sale.

Ladskater - I am happy for Putman and Wirtz. Although I would like them to continue the great canadian pairs skating tradition of Underhill and Martini passed on to Sale & Pelletier and now Langlois & Archetto and Lauviere & Fastino, I am looking forward to see what they will come up with. Their style is different yet elegant. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, it is great to see a pair trying something different. It is just that I just prefer the U&M+ S&P+L&A+L&F style. So good luck to them...