How Rude.... | Golden Skate

How Rude....

JOHIO2

Medalist
Okay, tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought how rude to have Kimmie Meissner interviewed the ENTIRE TIME OF MIKI ANDO'S SHORT PROGRAM!

ESPN----how could you? First you delay the figure skating for fifteen minutes while you show the ending of the NCAA wrestling championships. Okay, I understand that you have no way of knowing and no control over the wrestling going over. BUT, your people have control over when a guest is interviewed in a figure skating program. That is even worse than the incessant babbling of the commentators. HOW RUDE.....

(as to Kimmie....I don't blame the kid. I suspect that even she would have rather been able to actually WATCH Miki Ando skate.)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
:p That was definitely rude. Also rude was those running basketball scores at the bottom of the screen. Do figure skating fans really give a rat's heiny about basketball scores??? :p

brad640

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
:p That was definitely rude. Also rude was those running basketball scores at the bottom of the screen. Do figure skating fans really give a rat's heiny about basketball scores??? :p

I hate when ESPN scrolls info about other sports and they cut in with music during a skater's performance. It is an awful sound to hear that ESPN music in the middle of a beautiful program.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Piel said:
WVU 111 :rock: :rock: :rock:
Wake Forest 105

Okay, let me rephrase that.

:p Does any figure skating fan with the exception of our beloved PIEL really give a rat's heiny about basketball scores??? :p
:biggrin:

Vash01

Medalist
JOHIO2 said:
Okay, tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought how rude to have Kimmie Meissner interviewed the ENTIRE TIME OF MIKI ANDO'S SHORT PROGRAM!

ESPN----how could you? First you delay the figure skating for fifteen minutes while you show the ending of the NCAA wrestling championships. Okay, I understand that you have no way of knowing and no control over the wrestling going over. BUT, your people have control over when a guest is interviewed in a figure skating program. That is even worse than the incessant babbling of the commentators. HOW RUDE.....

(as to Kimmie....I don't blame the kid. I suspect that even she would have rather been able to actually WATCH Miki Ando skate.)

Exactly my thoughts. I could not fault Kimmie for answering the questions she was being asked. It was extremely rude of Ganon to completely ignore Miki and interview Kimmie throughout Miki's skate.

I also agree with the comments about wrestling. I was frustrated watching these fat guys trying to defeat each other, while I was waiting for the FS to begin. I could not turn the TV off because I was afraid I may miss the FS if I did. I had to reset my VCR because of that wrestling.

ESPN's coverage was terrible.

Vash

Vash01

Medalist
brad640 said:
I hate when ESPN scrolls info about other sports and they cut in with music during a skater's performance. It is an awful sound to hear that ESPN music in the middle of a beautiful program.

I too find that extremely annoying. I wish ABC would start showing world FS again.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I can't blame them for finishing up wrestling..after all if it was the other way around, you wouldn't want FS coverage to be cut-off at 7;30pm?? As far as the bottom line feature, it's always on at 28 and 58 min past the hour, and again I wouldn't expect for them to turn it off "b/c FS fans are not March Madness followers", but the little "ding dong" sound has to go! I hated when it would interfere with the music.

What I found very rude is lack of D&S coverage! Even a mention of what a great skate they had would've been lovely! Since it was considered by some the best dance of the night, you would think that would buy them some TV time..but no! I am getting sick and tired of these stupid, repeated fluff pieces when we would much rahter see another team.

Oh well...that's my rant for the night!

Yana

ITA that the gabfest during Ando's SP was very rude. All that so a 14-year-old could give her "views" on things? Come on. A 14-year-old doesn't have views.

Besides, imagine the uproar if on the final strokes of the final round of the Master's Tournament, golf fans heard, (whisper) "Now Tiger Woods approaches the green to see if he can sink this difficult putt to win the Master's...BUT FOR ALL YOU FIGURE SKATING FANS OUT THERE, WHILE TIGER'S TRYING TO MAKE THIS PUTT, WE'VE GOT AN INTERVIEW WITH KIMMIE MEISNER, THE FIRST WOMAN--AHEM, EXCUSE ME--LADIES FIGURE SKATER TO LAND THE TRIPLE AXEL JUMP IN COMPETITION SINCE 1991!"

ESPN producers: Get a brain.

Rgirl

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Wow. Am I ever glad I was able to watch the skating on the CBC. They did a fabulous job!!

Eeyora

Final Flight
I thought th same thing. The questions weren't even that imporatant. This was ruder than Peter's Nancy Kerrigan interview while MK was receiving her marks which wasn't exactly rude but more of stupid placing. Or discussing Michelle's time deduction last yaer during Sokolova's SP.

Piel said:
WVU 111 :rock: :rock: :rock:
Wake Forest 105
I can see that the non-fans out there do not fully appreciate this item. This is huge. Wake Forest was one of the tournament favorites, with some predicting they could go all the way. Ha ha , Wake UP, you mean! Go Mountaineers!

Go Michigan State Ladies! (I mean women.)

MM

The scrolling of the scores at "28 and 58" didn't bother me....I'd have wanted to see scores if Phillies baseball had been going on during World's coverage, so I understand other sports fans wanting to see what was going on with their interests.

But, I also agree that talking with Kimmie while Mikko skated was rude. I knew it would get "net time" on the skating forums!

brad640

On the Ice
I have little interest in Kimmies skating. Why didn't they talk to Emily Hughes instead of Kimmie since she beat Kimmie at junior worlds. I hope Angela beats Kimmie for the 3rd spot at the Olympics next year.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
The interview during Miki's skate WAS rude.

I was apalled. It's one thing to chak a skater in favor of a fluff piece interview. But to conduct an interview while showing, and IGNORING the performance was one of the worst moments in FS coverage / commentary this year. I hate the amount of irrelevant babble that generally goes on, but this was WAY too much. How disrespectful to Miki. Like her skate didn't matter.

DG

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
I forgot to add that I also found Kimmi's interview during Miki's LP really rude too. I mean, who cares what she has to say when somebody else is skating? Besides, she didn't have anything to say really, she answered Terry's questions by pretty much repeating them! But I liked that Terry mentioned that she placed 4th :) But of course nobody mentioned Mao Asada, the Korean girl, or our own American Emily Hughs who placed ahead.

You know why Emily was not there? Even if she were to get an invite, she would be studying right now!

Yana

Hikaru

Final Flight
brad640 said:
I have little interest in Kimmies skating. Why didn't they talk to Emily Hughes instead of Kimmie since she beat Kimmie at junior worlds. I hope Angela beats Kimmie for the 3rd spot at the Olympics next year.

They could have interviewd anybody else, it still would have been extremely rude to do so while there is a skater doing their program!

dizzydi7

On the Ice
The interview during Miki's skate WAS rude.

I'm happy to hear that other fans also found this rude. Oh yes, and annoying. Perhaps, just perhaps, if Kimmie had won the World Junior Championship this year there could be justification for her interview (but not during a skater's program). However, the fact that Kimmie wasn't even on the podium at Juniors leads me to believe that her win at the senior level this year was a lucky break.

I feel this inappropriate attention to Kimmie might very well backfire and perhaps is unfair to such a young skater. Kimmie is a cute kid but she has a long way to go to be on the level of other senior ladies. One jump (and not even a good one) does not make a world-class skater IMHO.

Dizzy

Last edited: