Exhibitions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Exhibitions

mzheng

Record Breaker
What was the Rusian song Irina skated into? I like it. It reminds like some of the Rusian songs I grownup listenning.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Mzheng,

The song is called "Zazhigai" - translated as "Light it up". It is performed by a bunch of people. The song is from a project where some artists got together to recors Russian songs. The project is called "Narodny Artist" (national artist).

The song is very catchy, indeed!

BTW, I just found out that the song that we saw was not the main attraction so to speak, it was an encore! The costume was meant to be for a Catwoman program. I wish we could see the whole thing.

Doggygirl, did you see it on Russian TV by any chance??

Yana

screech said:
Jeff's choreographer is David Wilson who works out of Toronto. He also choreographs for Joannie Rochette and Cynthia Phaneuf. And I agree, Ave Maria is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

My highlights:
Jeff
Sasha
Stephane
Thank you, Screech, for the info about David Wilson. I looked up his name on Buttle's skating and bio info on the ISU results page but didn't know anything about him. Do you know what his skating background is? He's got an amazing choreographic eye, that's for sure.

I agree with your highlights and would add Weir. If Sasha was going to skate to Barbra, at least she skated to the late '60s Barbra when she could, and I suppose would, blow down a building with that voice. Now if Sasha could just get a little of that into her skating...

But also loved all the exhibitions. The Russians had such a celebration! And was Maria Petrova wearing the hottest hot pants in the World or what? It ain't your father's Russia anymore. Big bummer we didn't get to see Li and Fumie. I always love her exhibitions.

Rgirl

Last edited:

Kuchana

On the Ice
eliza88 said:
I loved the exhibitions! My favorites were Weir, Buttle, and Michelle! I think I have already rewatched each of these 3 times! Johnny--beautiful skate and amazing music! Buttle--never heard an upbeat Ave Maria but wowie this guy is such an original and amazing skater! (I have been saying all weekend to my husband Michelle should use Buttle's choreographer and really milk the MITF! They have the same coach now--why not the same choreographer?). Michelle's skate was so incredibly smooth and wonderful--of course it had me screaming at the TV, "Why didn't you put this choreography/passion/MITF into your LP? Oh, also loved Lambiel's program! Just amazing spins.

I really enjoyed all the Russian music. P/T skate was great fun! Why don't they skate their competitive programs with such personality?

eliza88

I was thinking along similar lines when I saw Michelle's skate. Hers was the only one I was able to catch and this was also my first time in seeing her skate to YRMU. At first I didn't think I was going to like it because of the music selection but there was just something about the way Michelle skated to it that changed my thinking although that was opposite with Bolero. On another note, I was pleasantly surprised at the reception that Michelle received. :clap:

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
Exhibition Re-Air

For those of you like me, who didn't get to see Fumie's and Li's exhibition numbers, Heather's schedule has them re-airing the Exhibition on Thursday, 3-24 at 10:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. on ESPN2.

The Exhibition coverage aired on Sunday was shortened from two hours due to being sandwiched in between wrestling that went over, plus the World's recap that aired for one hour, and the basketball coverage that started as planned at 7:30 p.m. So I'm thinking they chacked Fumie and Li, and hopefully we'll get to see them on the re-air.

kbrdmn2

Spectator
Fumie's Exhibition Program

I loved Fumie's Exhibition Program at World's. So emotional, and great choice of music. Anyone know the title and performer of the song she skated to?

Shanti

On the Ice
Delayed question: What was Tanith and Ben's exhibition program about? I guess, it was supposed to be funny, uh? Could you please explain what they meant ...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Shanti B&A's exhibition was to "Green Acres" it was a T.V. show in the U.S. in the 60's. It starred Eddie Albert as a lawyer who decided he wanted to move to the country and live on a farm. Eva Gabor played his reluctant wife who had no desire to leave big city life behind. They moved to the fictional town of Hooterville. It was a show of stereotypes. For example to make a telephone call they had to climb the telephone pole ....not sure where they got that. I've lived in WV all of my life and have always had great phone service,

In another part of their program they danced to "Dueling Banjos" from the movie "Deliverence" IIRC it took place in Georgia. The side by side dancing they did to this music is called clogging and is Appalachian dancing based on Irish and Scottish step dancing. Some of our schools have clogging teams.

Don't know what in the world they were thinking to think a Russian audience would get this. Heck a lot of U.S. audiences didn't get it.

Here is a link to the show.
http://www.maggiore.net/greenacres/default.asp

Last edited:
A footnote about Green Acres: The reason this is funny to U.S. audiences is that Green Acres was the all time stupidest television show ever. (IIRC it had a talking pig in it, only no one ever heard it talk.)

Except, of course, for...

http://home.mn.rr.com/classictv/Gilligan'sThemeSong.html

Can't you see Brasseur and Eisler doing this, as Gilligan and the Skipper?

MM:)

PS. I hope someone will answer Kbrdmn's question about Fumie's music. ITA, that was a marvelous.

Welcome to Golden Skate, KB!

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
STL_Blues_fan said:
Mzheng,
BTW, I just found out that the song that we saw was not the main attraction so to speak, it was an encore! The costume was meant to be for a Catwoman program. I wish we could see the whole thing.
It was broadcast on Eurosport, at least the German version. She wore a leather(ish) helmet/mask for it and vamped a lot. I think she looked silly, but I'm not her target audience.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Fumie's Music

Mathman said:
PS. I hope someone will answer Kbrdmn's question about Fumie's music. ITA, that was a marvelous.

Welcome to Golden Skate, KB!

I think it is Lara Fabian's "Adagio".