Children of Famous Skaters: Do they skate? | Golden Skate

Children of Famous Skaters: Do they skate?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
We know that Katia Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov's daughter skates. Does she compete? Are the children of other famous skaters working their way up the ranks of eligible skating?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Artur Dmitriev's son also skates; I heard somewhere that Artur Jr. and Daria skated in the Yagudin retirement show in Russia.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Hmmm Artur Jr. and Daria certainly the poterntial gene pool for the perfect pair? Unless size wise Daria is more like dad and less like mom.

Jhar55

Medalist
Seen Daria skate several times on TV but not sure if she competes. If she did what counrty would she skate for. She was born in the US.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
she could skate for either country IIRC... Daria does compete and has some fairly good results...

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The USFSA needs to make this young lady an offer she can't refuse to skate pairs for us. :biggrin:

katherine2001

On the Ice
Piel said:
The USFSA needs to make this young lady an offer she can't refuse to skate pairs for us. :biggrin:

It might be better for her to skate singles. That way, she wouldn't have the pressure of people comparing her to her parents. That would give her impossible shoes to fill, and she could be accepted for her own wonderful talents and not be compared to Mom and Dad.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Zavozin's parents, Garanina & Zavozin, were quite big; they once were National silver medalists, as well as European junior gold champions.

The famous Russian pairs coach Stanislav Zhuk (coach of Rodnina and G&G) has also been a famous skater (2 time silver European medalist); he married his partner Nina. Their daughter Tatiana with her partner Gorelick was #2 at 1968 Olympic games.

In a junior Swedish pair Pylkina/ Hogner Pylkina's mother Nelli Chervotkina with partner Victory Tesli once medaled at Skate America.

SkatingFan94

Rinkside
You can find a list of Daria Grinkova's competition results and videos of her skating here: www.gg-corner.de

Sasah Zulin the little daughter of Tatiania Navka and Alexander Zulin has started to skate.

Meribel Vinson Owens two daughters skated and were national champions.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
SkatingFan94 said:
You can find a list of Daria Grinkova's competition results and videos of her skating here: www.gg-corner.de

Sasah Zulin the little daughter of Tatiania Navka and Alexander Zulin has started to skate.

Meribel Vinson Owens two daughters skated and were national champions.

It's interesting to note that the competitive results of G/G's family seem to flow. First as the pair...then Katya picking up after 1996...then Daria after her mother stopped competing. If I recall correctly from Katya's book, her singles results as a child weren't as good as Daria's!

lulu

Final Flight
thisthingcalledlove said:
It's interesting to note that the competitive results of G/G's family seem to flow. First as the pair...then Katya picking up after 1996...then Daria after her mother stopped competing. If I recall correctly from Katya's book, her singles results as a child weren't as good as Daria's!

Um, when did Katia ever mention her singles skating results?
If I recall correctly, she has never mentioned her results as a singles skater in My Sergei, or any other interview.
In fact she started pairs skating around the age of 11 or so.
While she did start out as a single skater (as most pairs skaters do) she as far as I know, as never entered a competition with the results mentioned in My Sergei.
Of course, I could be wrong.

Last edited:

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
lulu said:
Um, when did Katia ever mention her singles skating results?
If I recall correctly, she has never mentioned her results as a singles skater in My Sergei, or any other interview.
In fact she started pairs skating around the age of 11 or so.
While she did start out as a single skater (as most pairs skaters do) she as far as I know, as never entered a competition with the results mentioned in My Sergei.
Of course, I could be wrong.

She did in the beginning before she goes into pairs. She mentioned that her highest club competition finish was third, and that one time, she got so nervous that she zipped her braids in her dress cos her dad was watching, and made her nervous.

lulu

Final Flight
thisthingcalledlove said:
She did in the beginning before she goes into pairs. She mentioned that her highest club competition finish was third, and that one time, she got so nervous that she zipped her braids in her dress cos her dad was watching, and made her nervous.

Thanks

imanta

Rinkside
Daria started competing over the last couple/few years and has done quite well lately. She jumped up to a higher level (juvenile) at the end of the last skating season. There have been pictures of her at the competitions from time to time (the ones taken by professional photographers of all the competitors). Right now it still seems as though Daria and Artur Jr. are around the same size. They both skated at that show in Russia, but not as a pair.

There's a video of Daria's full "Be My Guest" program that she performed at Artur's show. She's very graceful and did really well. :)