Sasha's New Dress for Rach. | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sasha's New Dress for Rach.

R

rgirl181

Re: Sasha dresses for Rach, but not her back

The gold does suggest majorette aesethics, unfortunately. I hope she doesn't wear white skates with pom pons:lol: Still can't give a final grade till I see it move, though. As for costs: Sasha's first costume this season was a plain leotard with rhinestones and a skirt--looked to me like a practice or mock-up version for the lavendar with ruffle number (I would have liked that one without the ruffle--ruffles on Sasha, yuk!). The Star Trek costume was one Jenni Meno had given Sasha. The red one she wore at the Sear's open was new and now this one. OTOH, she's had only one SP costume all season. It's hard to tell with costumes. Michelle's Vera Wang creations--the orange-red one she wore for "Sheh" and the same style in banno yellow she wore earlier this fall for "Rodrigo" reportedly cost $40,000 a piece, as did the Olympic SP costume Wang did for Kwan. If that figure is correct, that's $120,000 for three costumes. I don't know what the costume designer who works with Tarasova charges.

As for Sasha's utter udderlessness, I have to laugh since it's not like any of the other ladies have much there either. I say, If you haven't got it, why try to flaunt it? Sasha has a very athletic body and the lack of decolletage doesn't bother me. If you're going to the Academy Awards, sure, you'd better have some stuffing in that V-neck. But if you're a skater, what are we talking about anyway? The most voluptuous lady out there is going to be a B-cup at most. If Sasha feels good in the dress and it flows well, fine.

As for Rachmaninoff being depressed when he wrote this concerto: If you hadn't read that, would you care what color the costume was? Besides, I think the music as interpreted by the skater is the point. Mishkutenok & Dmitriev wore black and red for this music; Alexander Abt wore pale lavendar; and Sasha has tried lavendar, purple, red, and now blue-violet and gold. To me, the music does not have to be interpreted as "depressed"--it has a number of different qualities from intensely dramatic to light and playful. The stories behind "Arenjuez" and "La Bayadere" are tragic, but I don't think Michelle and Sarah have to wear black.
Rgirl

T

THIZfiyaVIETgrl

I totally agree with you rgirl about interpreting the music anyway you want to. To me, music is like a law...the makers or creators of it might have one thing in mind when they made it, but they can't stop other people of seeing it differently.

I think it's ok as long as it really fits the mood and tempo of the music.

N

nysk8r

As for Rachmaninoff being depressed when he wrote this concerto: If you hadn't read that, would you care what color the costume was?

Even before I read the paragraph on Rach's 2nd concerto, I felt the music was very dramatic and a bit dark. I was just interested in what influenced Rachmaninov's concerto. I tend to research alot of the classical pieces cause I'm a geek like that :D .

I just felt that the design and color really didn't go well with the program- seeing Sasha's dramatic face in the beginning along with that bright yellow trimming and gold lack-of-neckline does something unsettling to my stomach :x .

R

rgirl181

Re: The Rach Dress and the Ralf Response

nysk8r--If the dress and the music together make you nauseous, that's a different story. Anyone's individual puke response to a costume is protected under the first amendment:) I have the same response maribou feathers, anytime, anywhere:x
Rgirl

L

LADSKATER

Re: Sasha's New Dress for Rach.

Actually, I think it will be quite pretty. It's nice to see her taking a chance with a different look. It looks quite dramatic - which is fitting for the music. I don't see any problem with the dress. Of course, we will have to wait and see how it looks on tv.

Ladskater