The Triple Crown | Golden Skate

The Triple Crown

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Any ideas who has the inside edge? I just read that Bellamy Road, who won the Wood Memorial last weekend, equaled the Aqueduct track record for 9 furlongs and got a Beyer of 119 in that race. Bellamy is owned by George Steinbrenner and is one of Nick Zito's many Derby candidates.

Think he might be a candidate for a big bounce?

Should Bellamy Road win the Derby and Preakness, I'd like to see one of the Derby also-rans come back and beat Bellamy in the Belmont so Zito can experience the joy of victory---and the agony of defeat. What goes around comes around!

The Santa Anita Derby was won by a big longshot, and all the favorites except Wilko (the Breeders Cup Juvenile champion) finished up the track. Anyone think that Wilko will beat the BC Juvenile-Kentucky Derby jinx?

Johar

Medalist
Wilko will not finish in the top 4. Book it.

I really like Bellamy Road, Sun King and Consolidator.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I was disappointed by Sweet Catomine 's performance in the Santa Anita and I read something that her trainer is being called to the carpet over hiding a medical condition before the race

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently Sweet Catomine was "in season". She finished 5th, which isn't all that bad, but she probably should have been entered into the Kentucky Oaks and NOT the SA Derby.

I still wouldn't count Wilko out. I won big bucks on the British invader in the Breeders Cup Juvenile and have a soft spot for him.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I heard her condition was more serious than just being in season, and that she had bled after earlier training workouts. That should have been disclosed for the betting public, so the trainer is in some trouble.

euterpe

Medalist
Todd Pletcher's Bandini won the Blue Grass handily, and Afleet Alex showed he was WAY back in the picture in the Arkansas Derby.

In the Blue Grass, Frankel's High Limit was beaten by 6 lengths, and Zito's Sun King and Lucas's Consolidator were 9 lengths up the track, but all three will go on to the Derby.

Afleet Alex left the rest of the pack 8 lengths behind. Second place finisher, Pletcher's Flower Alley will probably go on to the Derby, as will 5th place finisher Greater Good.

So it looks as if Bellamy Road will have a live challenger in Aflleet Alex, who faded to last in the Rebel due to a throat infection. AA has obviously recovered and is back on his game.

Johar

Medalist
My current Road to the Roses contest score: 166 points. 801 out of 24,163
:clap:

Had Sun King and Consolidator performed better, it would've been higher. I hope both are okay, though, especially Sun, who is a half to Ocean Drive.

Did you know Bandini bites other horses? I heard months ago he had an aggressive temper towards humans in the stable. Maybe he mellowed out some.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd Pletcher mentioned in an interview that Bandini is aggressive in relation to other horses. He said the horse is not the least bit intimidated when in heavy traffic (which they'll all face in the Derby). They've changed his training, having him run with other horses, and he is fearless.

This should be an interesting Derby. No doubt Bellamy Road will be the favorite, but I have to wonder if he will bounce off that 120 Beyer. Afleet Alex is back in form and he has to be considered a contender. I don't know if Bandini is equal to these two, but he is a lightly raced horse and we probably haven't seen his best yet.

There is one more contender yet to race: Rockport Harbor, who's running in the Lexington next Saturday. This son of Unbridled Song has been training well and could emerge a real contender.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A bettor is suing the owners and trainer of Sweet Catomine for not divulging the information about the filly bleeding before the SA Derby. She was secretly vanned from the track for treatment in a hyberbaric chamber, then sneaked back in and the public wasn't told about her condition.

Johar

Medalist
Something fishy going on there with that situation.

My current RTTR points: 177 points. 624 out of 24,163

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rockport Harbor bombed badly in the Lexington--he didn't like the sloppy track, and didn't take kindly to being rated. But the Lexington victory earned Coin Silver a trip to the Kentucky Derby, and Todd Pletcher, his third Derby entry. Baffert's last Derby hope Sort it Out was 2nd and is also Derby-bound. Wayne Lukas's Going Wild faded to 5th, but as Lukas's last Derby hope, probably will go to the Derby anyway.