Cohen gets 1st place singles honors from USOC, B & A get 2nd on teams | Golden Skate

Cohen gets 1st place singles honors from USOC, B & A get 2nd on teams

Thanks for the fix Mathm,

This is a nice honor for Sasha and the others mentioned in the article.

Big Questin: Who will be the Banner Bearer in Torino?

Joe

I agree. Sasha did earn that honor. I was thinking the other day that next to Michelle, Sasha has been the most consistent skater at Worlds since 2002, which was her first senior Worlds, but only because she blew Jr. Worlds in '01 so she didn't qualify to go to Sr.Worlds that year. Sasha, Sasha, Sasha. Still:
2002 Olys: 4th
2002 Worlds: 4th
2003: 4th
2004: 2nd
2005: 2nd

Add that to her results in the '02 and '03 GP series amd finals--mostly firsts and nothing lower than second--and I thought, "Not bad for such a terribly inconsistent skater."

Of course I know she flubs and falls and messes up, but except for the GP event in '01 (I forget which one) when she tried to land the quad and ended up skating most of the program on her behind, she hasn't had any Nancy Kerrigan '93 Worlds meltdowns. Of course she hasn't had a Nancy Kerrigan '94 Olympic SP and LP after having her knee bashed either.

No point to that, other than to give the girl her due.

Rgirl

Vash01

Medalist
Rgirl said:
I agree. Sasha did earn that honor. I was thinking the other day that next to Michelle, Sasha has been the most consistent skater at Worlds since 2002, which was her first senior Worlds, but only because she blew Jr. Worlds in '01 so she didn't qualify to go to Sr.Worlds that year. Sasha, Sasha, Sasha. Still:

Add that to her results in the '02 and '03 GP series amd finals--mostly firsts and nothing lower than second--and I thought, "Not bad for such a terribly inconsistent skater."

Of course I know she flubs and falls and messes up, but except for the GP event in '01 (I forget which one) when she tried to land the quad and ended up skating most of the program on her behind, she hasn't had any Nancy Kerrigan '93 Worlds meltdowns. Of course she hasn't had a Nancy Kerrigan '94 Olympic SP and LP after having her knee bashed either.

Rgirl

All good points. Just one small correction. Sasha was injured in the 2001 season and sat out the whole season. She blew the 2000 Jr.worlds and had to miss the Senior worlds, even though she won a silver at the US Nationals.

I do agree that she has not been as inconsistent as people claim. She has choked a few times when she was in a position to win the big prize, but it was all a part of learning. She has moved up gradually, instead of making the big splash everyone expected of her, after the 2000 US Nationals.

I think the award will give her confidence a big boost. Michelle may have to play catch up at this point.

Vash

R.D.

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:

Rgirl

Interesting point. There are lots of other skaters who are far more inconsistent than Cohen. However, that said she's only had about one or two clean performances out of much more all those years. You would think she would/should have more than that. It comes to the point that you basically expect her to fall or mess up during a performance. She seems to be good enough to score high however even with the mistakes. I never understood what's so good about her for her to score so high ("Pretty positions" doesn't cut it BTW). I would have had her behind Kirk (at least) in this past pro-am. Basically if it weren't for skaters like kwan or Slutskaya she could fall on EVERY jump and still win. :sheesh:

R.D.

Record Breaker
I do agree that she has not been as inconsistent as people claim. She has choked a few times when she was in a position to win the big prize, but it was all a part of learning. She has moved up gradually, instead of making the big splash everyone expected of her, after the 2000 US Nationals.

I think people were expecting "flash in the pan" like Lipinski or even Hughes. Kwan went from 4th to 1st at worlds in 95-96. For Cohen it's been longer (still respectable though), 4th-4th-2nd-2nd. She's getting there. However, something tells me that the 2006 OGM is out of her reach. She'll have to carve her name into it if she hopes to win. I see a silver or a bronze for her, but there's WAY too much pressure at the olympics to possibly expect her to do well.

Actually, I was thinking of something. If you compare Cohen's and Kwan's placements at worlds since 2002 you get:

Kwan: 2-1-3-4
Cohen: 4-4-2-2

Add the numbers up and Kwan has 10 and Cohen has 12. Not too far off actually.

Vash01

Medalist
Red Dog said:
I think people were expecting "flash in the pan" like Lipinski or even Hughes. Kwan went from 4th to 1st at worlds in 95-96. For Cohen it's been longer (still respectable though), 4th-4th-2nd-2nd. She's getting there. However, something tells me that the 2006 OGM is out of her reach. She'll have to carve her name into it if she hopes to win. I see a silver or a bronze for her, but there's WAY too much pressure at the olympics to possibly expect her to do well.

Actually, I was thinking of something. If you compare Cohen's and Kwan's placements at worlds since 2002 you get:

Kwan: 2-1-3-4
Cohen: 4-4-2-2

Add the numbers up and Kwan has 10 and Cohen has 12. Not too far off actually.

The interesting thing is - based on placements alone- Cohen seems to be rising in the ranks while Kwan seems to be falling. Not a comforting thought for a Kwan fan like me.

I do agree with you- pretty positions don't necessarily make for great skating. However, Sasha would be winning even with falls if it were not for Kwan and Slutskaya, and (last year) Arakawa. Some judges actually placed her higher than Arakawa in 2004!

Vash

Last edited:
Well, this award was for the best performance in Olympic sports in the month of March, 2005. It's not so much a reward for consistency over a long career, or the "I did better than Michelle Kwan" award.

Figure skating is one of the most visible Olympic sports, so they get more than their share of these awards. It would be cool if women from other sports were honored, too.

For instance, according to the article archer Mary Zorn won a gold medal at the world championships and set a world record (356 bulls-eyes out of 360).

And mogul skier Hannah Kearney won the free style world championship in her sport. These gold medal performances deserve some consideration, too.

Mathman

R.D.

Record Breaker
Some judges actually placed her higher than Arakawa in 2004!

I can't even imagine how that block-of-wood performance could possibly be rated above Arakawa's lifetime achievement.

That was Arakawa's night, IMO. Unlike what some posters were saying I don't think ANYONE could have beaten her on that night (Cohen had to place above her to win). Same with Irina in '05.

ETA- personal note about the season
Cohen's FS this year was SO boring. I must say the same about last year (at least when Wagner took over). Kwan's Bolero was somewhat enjoyable (only because I like the song) but that's only because I was listening to the song rather than getting into the skater performing it. And I KNOW Kwan is capable of getting one involved in her performance. If she couldn't pull someone like me who likes the song into the performance, obviously she didn't pull it off.

Fossi

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
All good points. Just one small correction. Sasha was injured in the 2001 season and sat out the whole season. She blew the 2000 Jr.worlds and had to miss the Senior worlds, even though she won a silver at the US Nationals.

I

Vash
Sasha didn't sit out the whole season. She sat out Nationals though and therefore no Worlds.

lavender

Record Breaker
Didn't Michelle win for January. This is just for one month.

It seems like Sasha is always tied for first with some other athlete when winning awards.