I have a feeling Stephane Lambiel could be the golden boy next year! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

I have a feeling Stephane Lambiel could be the golden boy next year!

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
shine said:
At worlds, it was the first time Sandhu seemed to skate his LP with heart. I was pretty impressed. With a little more thoughts put it, that could be a very beautiful program. I actually don't want Lambiel to win the Olympics next year even though I'm his biggest fan. I have a feeling that he's the type of person who would either just turn pro or go on to pursue other interests if he wins this major title, which is the last thing I want to see happen. I really want to see him come up with two programs that will do his talent justice--he's had amazing short programs for a few seasons now, I just hope he gets a long program that's at least as good as his older ones such Chocolat and Cirque du Solei. Maybe Tosca? :rock:

This is seperate from what I feel, just based on what the judges seem to feel, do you really think the judges would give Sandhu any hope of a gold medal in Turin even if he skated his best? Earlier in the year he was coming slightly below Buttle in the PCS scores, I didnt think too much of that since both are very complete skaters, I was thinking it could switch either way. However as the year went on his PCS scores were much lower than Buttle's, Lambiel's, Plushenko's, and some of the other top skaters. A 33+ for PCS in the short is hardly approaching championship consideration. At the Canadians he received a 75+ while Buttle received an 84+ for PCS, a huge difference.

Personaly I think the judges have given up on Sandhu after all his years of inconsistency. I remember I said before Worlds last year, "I hope he does it here, skates well, wins a medal, he has too, the judges wont wait any longer for him I bet." Sadly it looks like that could be the case. That is just my perspective though, I could be wrong, I guess we will see next year if he does put it all together, even if he doesnt win, whether he ever had a chance in their eyes.

I agree about Lambiel. I would love to see him win, but a silver behind Plushenko, or a Sandhu having the competition of his life, I could also see the positives out of. I dont want him to go pro, I want atleast 4 more years of his beautiful skating. I dont think he has come close to fulfilling his potential yet.

nicole_l

Final Flight
slutskayafan21 said:
Well according to 90% of North American skating fans the following are true:

1)Lambiel has no chance whatsoever of wining the Olympic Gold, and only a slim chance of medaling.

2)Lysacek has a real chance of the gold medal, and an extreme possability of medaling.

3)Lysacek is a far more serious threat for the gold, and a more likely medalist than Lambiel.

4)Lambiel is only about the 7th best skater in the World, not the 1st or 2nd best.

5)Lysacek is clearly one of the 2 or 3 best skaters in the World right now. After all he won bronze in his first Worlds and is still improving. He is a far superior skater to Lambiel.

6)Somebody like me thinks otherwise is clearly narrow-minded, extremely biased, and lacking any logic.

I dont know I am going to stick to my lack of logic this time. :p

I have no idea how you made these conclusions. For one nationality doesn't make much of a difference. Also, a lot of people right now pretty much agree that the men's field is very, very open right now...it seems like anyone could medal. Something that really confuses me with your post is why you think that we think that Lysacek has a better chance at winning than Lambiel... Everyone, even North Americans, are aware that Lambiel is the World Champion. That definitely puts the ball in his court.

Joe- it's good to hear that you think Klimkin will be in Torino, because you're usually right. *Hopes not to jinx anyone.*

boggartlaura said:
:rofl:

sluteskayafan said:
No I cant, but if you made a poll you would see I am right. Seeing enough other people post their opinions, you tend to get the general idea.
You must be hanging out at all those silly and foolish skating boards (you know the ones, LOL) to get such a bad opinion of U.S. figure skating fans.

True, Michelle is the Kween, but other than that, we're not really so bad.

Anyway, I took up your challenge and did a count on this very thread:

*5 people said Lambiel has a better chance than Lysacek.

*0 people said Lysacek has a better chance than Lambiel.

* Everyone else would rather debate Klimkin versus Griazev.

MM;)

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
slutskayafan21 said:
Well according to 90% of North American skating fans the following are true:

1)Lambiel has no chance whatsoever of wining the Olympic Gold, and only a slim chance of medaling.

2)Lysacek has a real chance of the gold medal, and an extreme possability of medaling.

3)Lysacek is a far more serious threat for the gold, and a more likely medalist than Lambiel.

4)Lambiel is only about the 7th best skater in the World, not the 1st or 2nd best.

5)Lysacek is clearly one of the 2 or 3 best skaters in the World right now. After all he won bronze in his first Worlds and is still improving. He is a far superior skater to Lambiel.

6)Somebody like me thinks otherwise is clearly narrow-minded, extremely biased, and lacking any logic.

I dont know I am going to stick to my lack of logic this time. :p

Well golly gee, I guess all of us hayseeds from the U.S. are transparent and stupid! Yeeeeehawww!

Oh, and go check the results so far on your poll! ;)

I think even Plush with injuries is a huge obstacle. If he doesn't win, he doesn't win, and it will unfortunately probably be because he did not do what Klimkin and Lambiel did (taking care of injuries well enough in advance). But, of course, that said, who knows how Lambiel or Klimkin will do, if they are even there?

Speaking as someone who obviously does not belong in North America...I think Lambiel is much more likely to be a threat at the Olympics than Lysacek.......

:p

soogar

Record Breaker
shine said:
At worlds, it was the first time Sandhu seemed to skate his LP with heart. I was pretty impressed. With a little more thoughts put it, that could be a very beautiful program.
I actually don't want Lambiel to win the Olympics next year even though I'm his biggest fan. I have a feeling that he's the type of person who would either just turn pro or go on to pursue other interests if he wins this major title, which is the last thing I want to see happen. I really want to see him come up with two programs that will do his talent justice--he's had amazing short programs for a few seasons now, I just hope he gets a long program that's at least as good as his older ones such Chocolat and Cirque du Solei. Maybe Tosca? :rock:

I don't see Stephane staying in the game for four more years regardless of his result. I actually think he'll remain in skating longer if he does win the OGM b/c he'll have more opportunities to do shows. I do think that if Stephane wins the OGM, he will be one of the most beloved OGMs of all time. I'm just enchanted by his delightful mannerisms and boyish delight.

This pic of Stephane and his medal sums up my feeling about him:
http://www.absoluteskating.com/

soogar said:
I don't see Stephane staying in the game for four more years regardless of his result. I actually think he'll remain in skating longer if he does win the OGM b/c he'll have more opportunities to do shows. I do think that if Stephane wins the OGM, he will be one of the most beloved OGMs of all time. I'm just enchanted by his delightful mannerisms and boyish delight.

This pic of Stephane and his medal sums up my feeling about him:
http://www.absoluteskating.com/
I hope we do see more of Stephane. He's much too talented for a one year's showing

and thanks for the link. I loved the picture. It shows him with all the emotions of winning a gold medal: Happy, shy, surprised, you name some more. He has to be a nice guy!

Also I like that website. There is a link to Jamal Othmund. Check it out if you haven't seen him skate. He jumps like Johnny, and he's definitely not into shoping ;) I met him at the airport with a delicious looking gal. I'm actually going to Euros to see him because he will never appear on ABC or ESPN and I can not download anything.

Joe

Slutskayafan21 - Your logic is, shall we say, questionable. I think it's based more on wishful thinking or just plain guessing.

However, as a fan of Sussana Poykio, and Stephane Lambiel, Ilia Klimkin and Jamal Othmund, would you consider me in the 10 per cent of Americans who disagree with that strange poll of American thought? :scratch:

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Well I count myself in the 10%. These are my views:

1)Lambiel has a very good chance to win Olympic Gold next year, especially with Plushenko's health a question mark.

2)Lysacek's medal chances are practically non-existant. Plushenko, Joubert, Buttle, Sandhu, Weir, Lambiel, perhaps Lindemann, all have better chance of grabbing one of the three medals than he does. We dont know if the Olympics will be brilliantly skated or a disaester. It could be a disaester that fans laugh about what a mess it was, and it still wont be the disaester that Worlds this year was, or that would give Evan a podium chance.

3)Lambiel would have to have multiple major errors to have any chance of losing to Lysacek even if Evan gets his quad. If Evan does not have a quad(and he probably wont)Lambiel will be safe to beat him by a clear margin even with multiple major errors. This is all assuming Evan skated his optimum BTW, and he himself rarely has clean long programs.

4)Weir was slightly undermarked and probably deserved the bronze at Worlds this year.

I just dont agree with the 90% I have run across. :biggrin:

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Mathman said:
Can you give me a link to this poll?

Mathman, this certified non-genius posted as Davey25 at FSU and apparently has a reading comprehension problem. :) Feel free to go over there and check out the thread "Only one medal for Americans at Olympics" (or similar) and you can see what I mean.

Also, I believe most of Evan's programs have been clean this year....

Last edited:

valuvsmk

Rinkside
PrincessLeppard said:
Mathman, this certified non-genius posted as Davey25 at FSU and apparently has a reading comprehension problem. :) Feel free to go over there and check out the thread "Only one medal for Americans at Olympics" (or similar) and you can see what I mean.

Also, I believe most of Evan's programs have been clean this year....

Obsessive-compulsive doesn't even BEGIN to describe this poster's posting habits. PrincessLeppard speaks the truth. :rock:

Lee

Rinkside
valuvsmk said:
Obsessive-compulsive doesn't even BEGIN to describe this poster's posting habits. PrincessLeppard speaks the truth. :rock:
But he's logical... :rofl:

Lisa

On the Ice
PrincessLeppard said:
If I may add, among those "90% American fans", there are a lot of Europeans :)

Since everyone on this thread seems to be in the 10%, with only me and Lisa in the 90%, I feel obliged to speak up for poor Evan.

I love this boy! He's working that long-legged, loosey-goosey, Vaudeville song-and-dance thing like nobody's business. I have had the pleasure of seeing him skate twice. The first time was at the December Marshall's cheesefest (he got second, following Plushenko and ahead of Joubert and Weir), and then at Belbin and Agosto's tsunami relief show in February. What he lacks in quadliness he makes up for in enthusiasm and boyish charm.

Although Stephane is certainly his equal in those last two qualities, LOL.

Comparing girl friends, I'd say it's a toss-up. Who's prettier, Jenny Kirk or Carolina Kostner?

Anyway, since this seems to be the place for Olympic predictions, here's mine: Michael Weiss to beat out Tim Goebel and get the third spot on the U.S team.

IMHO the CoP is Michael's friend. Think of how many points he can rack up for all those double-footed quads! Under the old judging system, a two-footed quad was not counted as a quad at all. But in the new judging system, as long as you make it all the way around you still get big points, even with a negative GOE for a two-footed landing or a hand down.

He will even get points for his "Mike Pike" (shoot the duck) entrance into a triple flip.:rock:

Mathman

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The one reservation I have about Lambiel is his consistency. He has spent so many years on the injured list that we've never seen a healthy Lambiel get through one complete season (at 19, he's already had two knee surgeries). He has never competed in more than one GP event in any season. In 2004, he failed to medal at both Euros and Worlds. In 2005, he bombed in the FS at Euros and again finished off the podium, but won 2005 Worlds in the absence of Plushenko; he landed two quads, but had only 4 triples in his FS, with no 3A or 3Z.

Now that he is World Champion, he will be the chased rather than the chaser, and he will be competing once again in the absence of Plushenko. I would have to see Lambiel romp in the GP this coming season to conclude that he is truly an OGM candidate.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Now that he is World Champion, he will be the chased rather than the chaser, and he will be competing once again in the absence of Plushenko. I would have to see Lambiel romp in the GP this coming season to conclude that he is truly an OGM candidate.
If Plushenko starts the season strong, I don't think that Lambiel will be under the pressure of a favorite. I think he'll be chased more as a podium contender, like Lindemann was this year. I don't even think he'll be under the same pressure as Joubert, who outright beat a self-defeating Plushenko at Euros last year, who stubbornly re-tried the 3A and lost a chunk of choreography in the attempt. Partly, I think that's because he's not a polarizing skater like Joubert; his style is as "artsy" as Plushenko's, and he seems to be universally respected, unlike Joubert.

Had the ailing Plushenko who showed up in the qualifying round without a quad given a similar performance in the LP, Lambiel would not have been World Champion with the performance he gave in the LP in Moscow: his PCS of 76.86 were barely over EP's 75.70 from qualis (and his own 75.10 in qualis), and because of the popped and downgraded jumps, his TES of 67.32 was nearly nine points under EP's TES from qualis, and over 10 points below his quali performance.

chuckm said:
The one reservation I have about Lambiel is his consistency. He has spent so many years on the injured list that we've never seen a healthy Lambiel get through one complete season (at 19, he's already had two knee surgeries). He has never competed in more than one GP event in any season. In 2004, he failed to medal at both Euros and Worlds. In 2005, he bombed in the FS at Euros and again finished off the podium, but won 2005 Worlds in the absence of Plushenko; he landed two quads, but had only 4 triples in his FS, with no 3A or 3Z.

We're in the Summer Nit Picks and Lambiel is getting it. Good. This will keep us busy.

First paragrah: True. We haven't seen enough of him. Let's hope we will.

Second paragraph . He's had injuries in Dortmund and got several 3rd places despite losing to a hometown hit or miss skater who just happened to hit for the hometown. He beat out Michael Weiss and Johnny Weir! as well as Griazev, van de Perren, Sandhu, and how many others despite injuries.

I don't believe for one minute that others will be chasing him. Evgeni is still the most accomplished skater with only one injury that affected his skating. IMO, the Men's field will be chasing Evgeni including Stephane.

You are correct in keeping watch on the GPs. Let's see.

Joe