Marshall's on TV | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Marshall's on TV

Red Dog,
Actually, since they moved Campbell's from late August to sometime in September, it's not so bad, so on second thought, I don't have much of a problem with Campbell's.

Mathman,
Nine days after Worlds! Oy! I knew it was tape delayed but I thought it was only by about a week.

So, uh, Mathman, where do you get all your inside information on what Speedy likes and doesn't like, hmm??? :unsure: :cool: :unsure: :cool: :unsure:

Oh, I so hope you're a double agent! :laugh: :rock: :laugh:

Okay, so you like the cheesefests. I've found them all to be total snoozers except one performance in one Campbell's, when Sasha did TAT's b&w "Swan Lake." But that was only because it was unexpectedly beautiful choreography and a new take on an old warhorse and Sasha skated very well.

If it's true that Speedy would like to get rid of the cheesefests then I guess I - i - I - OMG, I can't say it! I guess I agree with Speedy! (Rgirl runs to the bathroom to barf.) Okay, back now. Actually, the idea of a warm-up competition as Campbell's has turned out to be is okay. The rest of them give the skaters who aren't on the touring circuit, unlike the hula-hoop girl and the acrobats, a chance to win prize money, which is a good thing.

So how about you watch them and I won't, except for Campbell's, okay?. :)

Rgirl

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoyed Marshalls. Evan was marvelous!! He deserved to win although I would have loved it more if Johnny had. :yes: I am really happy that Johnny attempted the quad...............and almost made it. I don't care what anyone says, I just love watching Sasha even with all the flubs, falls, and hands down on the ice. :love: :love: I could watch her all day long. :biggrin:

I say good for DB getting on Michelle.....somebody needed to. I really don't understand her at all. :scratch: :think: :rolleye: :confused:

Oh well.

Dee

Rgirl said:
So how about you watch them and I won't, except for Campbell's, okay?. :)
Absolutely not! You must watch the December cheesefest from Detroit. If you won't watch on TV, I will send you my own tape that I made of it with my new video-binoculars, and make you watch it. (No cameras allowed, but what can be the harm in these old binoculars to aid my poor tired old eyes, officer? heh heh :cool: )

Anyway, now that the Grand Prix is dead, you guys are killing figure skating by turning your back on the only thing going on in the sport, television-wise. It's all your fault. At least Detroit is doing it's part to keep the sport alive (most notably providing the venue for Jeff Gillooly's henchmen to attack Nancy Kerrigan in 1994 -- what other city can make that claim?)

MM:yes:MM:yes:MM:yes:MM

skatingfan5

On the Ice
And I kind of agree that if you are going to risk bodily injury practicing the triple triple, then WHY NOT put it in a competition or show to make sure you can do it with nerves too????
Perhaps because you have suffered some sort of injury/strain which makes your BODY unable to do it? Perhaps Alexandra Stevenson was totally in la-la land, but she did say that Michelle had done something to her back in practice before Marshall's.
There had been speculation she might not skate when, in the afternoon’s practice, she did not run through her routine and left the ice early. It turned out she had hurt her back
http://iceskatingintnl.com/current/content/marshalls.htm
Anyway, just a thought to counter Button's bitching about the missing triple-triple.

emma

Record Breaker
I totally missed the comment about Michelle's back at Marshalls...yes, of course, that would explain a lot of things....except perhaps (????) a totally empty program basically every time we saw it (here I mean transitions, mitf), which she does do in exhibition (albeit with fewer jumps, but i'm just saying she can do them physically speaking). I love Michelle, and I'm totally willing to JUST BELIEVE she has some master plan to win the OG...I'm just worried that the plan may not be going as planned (back injury would be part of this, unexpected nerves another part?, reluctance for whatever reason to change her formula). I'm also aware that it's her life and she will do what she decides to do, which may even be retire (I mean at some point she will have to)....in the meantime, I can't help, yes as an uber-fan, but to really want to see Michelle do triple triples, transitions, mitf, her spiral (not the CoP version), and even her not so wow spins, but do that GREAT, because when she does, she leaves most of us speechless....so I guess my original comments are more about hoping for that, perhaps, one last WOW Michelle competitive performance (and quite honestly, if she does that AND 'looses' the gold, I would still be wowed and thus happy).

2ndmark

Rinkside
I've never understood all the invective directed at these competitions some insist on calling "cheesefests." Sorry, but I'm happy to see any skating competition televised.

That having been said, the reason why they have become less than exciting is primarily the fault of the skaters. This past Marshall's was appalling because the performances were appalling. (YES... there were some great moments, although few and far between). But I have had just about enough of the excuses. If these are world class athletes... and they want to think they are... they need to step up to the plate. In no other sport do you hear such whining. Ask a professional basketball or baseball player how many games they played in a season and compare it to how many competitions these skaters enter.

How can the viewers, network executives and advertisers be expected to get excited about an event when the skaters treat it as a chore?

And leave it to Michelle Kwan to set the standard again. Say what you will about her- but at least she didn't phone this one in.

skatingfan5 said:
Anyway, just a thought to counter Button's bitching about the missing triple-triple.
I don't think Dick was bitching about the Marshalls. I think he was bitching about the lack of missing triple-triples. When was the last time you saw one by Mk?

They actually count mucho in the CoP and imo, influence the PCS.

Joe

kareliz

Rinkside
I enjoyed the competition.

Evan is growing on me. I love Johnny's skating so much - I really want to see him on that Olympic podium! It was great to see him try the quad, and not a bad attempt. He stayed on his feet, anyway. Oh Tim. It is so sad. He has improved the quality of his movement so much, but he has lost so much confidence. And the posture has been really tough for him to correct.

I am with those who say Bea should have been fourth. Kimmie is terrific, but definitely needs to work on her arms. I can't get too excited about Emily. She has a lot of spunk and great energy, so I'll give her that. But it seems to me she has almost all Sarah's faults, without possessing her virtues. Sorry - that sounds too harsh. But you know - hunched posture, bent knees, landing jumps so far forward and bent over. Yet she doesn't have the fluidity Sarah had, or the gorgeous layback. So we'll see - lots of room and possibility for growth there.

Sasha - I know she's injured, but nothing new here as far as insecure jump landings and beautfiul everything else.

Michelle. Well, Dick really laid it on. And yes, she has to really work and step up, etc. But did anyone else notice how high her jumps were? Especially the toe pick jumps, she really jumped UP much more than before. And one spin sequence (with the catch foot leg up to the side) was the fastest spinning I have seen her do in a long time. So I have hope.

And since everyone knows that Rgirl is about the smartest person on this board (no offense other smart people), if she says she "just knows" Michelle is going to win OG, then that is that. It just makes me feel great every time I read your posts that say that, Rgirl. It's easy to figure out why she can't and won't, but so nice just to believe that she will.

brad640

On the Ice
kareliz said:
I am with those who say Bea should have been fourth. Kimmie is terrific, but definitely needs to work on her arms. I can't get too excited about Emily. She has a lot of spunk and great energy, so I'll give her that. But it seems to me she has almost all Sarah's faults, without possessing her virtues. Sorry - that sounds too harsh. But you know - hunched posture, bent knees, landing jumps so far forward and bent over. Yet she doesn't have the fluidity Sarah had, or the gorgeous layback. So we'll see - lots of room and possibility for growth there.

These next generation skaters are great, but I hope Angela makes the Olympics. If she can make it back, she has much more potential than any of them to do well, and everyone else can wait until 2010.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Re: 3/3's for Ladies and CoP, the two jumps that can complete a 3/3 are 3T (4 pts) and 3Lo (5 pts). That's compared to the yield for the last two jumps in a 3/2/2: 2.8 points for 2T+2Lo and 2.6 points 2T+2T.

AFAIK, only two Ladies have completed 3/3/2 successfully in the last two years: Arakawa and Kostner. Many Ladies -- not all of them televised -- completed 3/2/2's in Moscow, while very few attempted 3/3's. 1.4 or 1.2 points in base is not that much value for the additional risk involved in practicing and landing 3/3's. And given the chance of having a 3Lo be downgraded to a 2Lo, as Ando saw this year, that's a lot of risk for 2.4 or 2.5 additional base points.

The more typical 3/3 is 3T+3T, which is worth 8 points, compared to a 3Lz+2T, which is worth 7.3 points and is a standard combo among top 15 Ladies skaters, or 7.5 points for the 3Lz+2Lo.

That's according to the written code. As long as the judges respect 3/3's, I expect the GOE's for 3/3's to be higher than the GOE's for the same quality 3/2's, and the PCS for skaters with 3/3's to be bumped up, the same way that Biellman spins with travels garner + GOE.

cianni

On the Ice
Marshalles

Kareliz, I did notice and I thought they were as high as Irinas. That was nice to see. I am surprised no one mentioned it, too busy worrying about her lack of 3/3s however no other skater did one either. Go Figure.

Kareliz and Cianni - Yes, the jumps are good shape. I first noticed them in Dortmund LP (the less said about the QR the better). Unfortunately, in Dortmund they were hidden by Tosca (such dark music) and in Moscow they were hidden by Bolero (such monotonous music). Rafael has done a remarkable job not only with the jumps but with the spins as well. And Morosov continues to give her first rate footwork.

What she needs other than the 3x3s is a choreographer with upbeat but dramatic music (not dark and monotonous).

Joe

kareliz said:
....And since everyone knows that Rgirl is about the smartest person on this board (no offense other smart people), if she says she "just knows" Michelle is going to win OG, then that is that. It just makes me feel great every time I read your posts that say that, Rgirl. It's easy to figure out why she can't and won't, but so nice just to believe that she will.
Aw, Kareliz. Not only is that an awfully nice thing to say but I'm also glad that it makes you feel good to know that there are people who believe Michelle will win the OGM--and I certainly do.

But I must take issue with you re "...Rgirl is about the smartest person on this board" because I know from many subjective and objective personal experiences that there are people on this board who are smarter than I am in terms of light years, so much so that they rarely post on the board because they are busy solving the mysteries of life. ;) Still, I walked up to everybody I saw that day and, whether I knew them or not, said, "Kareliz thinks I'm one of the smartest on Golden Skate!"
:) :p ;) :party2: :) :p ;) :party2: :) :p ;) :party2:

Rgirl