The ladies and the big O's | Golden Skate

The ladies and the big O's

flowjo35

On the Ice
I know it's early but, since we have a very good thread already about Michelle and what she needs to do next season, could we talk about the other contenters also. Irina, Sasha, SA, Fumie, and others. I hope its a good season leading into the big O's with lots of interesting programs designed for COP. Thanks for your input :)

I hope no one starts predicting. This is a discussion of the contestants. Predictions will come in due course.

I don't think Irina Slutskaya needs anything to win the Olys. She has the technical way above MK and SC. The point system (CoP) gives her a tremendous advantage. The only threat would be Carolina and only if she looks more solid in the program.

Sasha Cohen would do well to tack on a Bielman arabesque if not a spin, and a 3x3 jump. She does have a better presentation but the judges will go for the technical, imo, and look for the PCS scores as an afterthought or one to decide between two highly technical skaters.

Carolina Kostner is the one who can match (and maybe surpass Irina) in the technical but she is very weak in the presentation department. Her technical scores will help her get better but undeserved PCS scores, but that's the way it goes in a subjective sport.

Michelle Kwan Very good corrective criticisms on another thread. Check itg out.

Shizuka Arakawa She has the goods to win this. A beautiful skater with excellent technical skills. If she calms the nerves, she will definitely be among the top three.

Fumie Suguri I think her competitive skating has come and gone. Still a nice skater to watch and will pick up if anyone falters.

Sussana Poykio One of my favorites and I have to say.... slowly but surely she is coming into her own and another one to watch is there are meltdowns.

Joannie Rochette Unfortunately, Moscow did her in. She was set to rock the boat. Maybe she can get that back.

I really don't see other skaters in the mix to watch at the Olys, and given the mentality of ABC, I probably won't see all of the above.

Joe

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
I too want to see new and creative programs and MUSIC that has not been used before. Please no more swan lake!

I think Fumie has it over the ladies as far as creativity goes. She always comes out with something different to skate to. Love her costumes too.

K-Mo

On the Ice
Irina definitely has the skills, but I would love to see her skate a program, not just jumps and Bielmans! I think Irina's biggest problem could be her illness. She could have the skate like she did at Worlds, or she could skate like she did at the Europeans.

Sasha and Shizuka need to master consistency. I have a hard time jumping on board with them, just because I have not seen them skate consistently. Both of them have grace and skill, but not always when it counts.

I know there are chances for the others to creep in there, but I haven't seen enough of them (thanks to poor TV coverage) to make informed comments.

I would have to agree with dlkksk8fan that there should be NO MORE Swan Lake! Enough Tchaikovsky, even. I love the music, but a change of pace would be nice. :)

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMHO, the biggest dangers to Irina and Sasha are health-related. Sasha needs to lay off any idea of the quad, lest she re-injure herself. Irina is adversely affected by stress; the Russian federation says that they are going to try to minimize it for her. How they propose to do this, I don't know. I don't think that the stress of the Olys is something that can be reduced for a top contender for the gold.

I disagree that Fumie is over the hill, and I agree with Dlkk about creativity, music, choreography and costume. She was the highest finishing Japanese lady in Moscow and would have made the podium except for an error on her combination jump in the SP.

MM

wvgal57

On the Ice
The Russian Federation realizes that Irina is one in a million and that she has got where she is by hard work, guts and effort.

They will help her deal next season by allowing her to set her own schedule and she'll go into Turino under much less stress. '02 stress for "a Gold medal" was bad and it did show on Irina. She wanted to win for Russia more than herself. It's not about "winning" now, it's about simply doing the best she can do.

Irina's approach to her skating has changed since her illness. She takes nothing for granted, knows she still has to work hard to get good results and she has not let mother Russia down. She's proven herself time and time and just knowing this will help her during Olympic season. She's not stressing about it because she knows that if she is healthy and she trains hard that the results will come. She's already said it's her last season, she has great confidence in herself and she has all of her aresenal of 3/3's back now.

Irina's in good shape headed into the Olympic season and now it's all about finding the perfect music for her new programs.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Irina hit her peak in Moscow and she will be hard pressed to repeat that performance, especially since the Olympics are in Torino. If you recall, Irina's worst skate of the year was at Euros---in Torino. The combination of her chronic illness and the Torino altitude will work against her.

While Irina could win with her Euros FS against Kostner, Poykio and Liashenko, she will be facing tougher competition with Arakawa, Suguri, Kwan and Cohen.
If the judges are determined to hold her up, she can win the OGM anyway, especially if none of the other ladies can deliver a knockout FS.

wvgal57

On the Ice
chuckm said:
I think Irina hit her peak in Moscow and she will be hard pressed to repeat that performance, especially since the Olympics are in Torino. If you recall, Irina's worst skate of the year was at Euros---in Torino. The combination of her chronic illness and the Torino altitude will work against her.

TeamIrina gained valuable experience in Turino. She already knows about the altitude and she knows what schedule she can maintain to stay completely healthy and competitive for this season. She made her statement boldly this year, she's shown she is still willing to work hard, compete and push the sport. She'll get her programs out before the judges but I think she'll stay away from unnecessary fluff competitions. Irina loves to compete and to skate so you won't see her simply sitting out unless she is really ill.

Remember too that Euro's was on the back end of a hectic month in December with 4 major competitions in one month. Irina won't be doing that much traveling in 06.

Back to topic, I think Irina is of course in a great position to win Gold. I think Sasha is too if she stands up, Michelle if she decides to take a season seriously for a change and and I'd not count out the Japanese Suguri.