weekend guests? | Golden Skate

weekend guests?

Longhornliz

Final Flight
When you invited guests to visit for the weekend, is it your expectation that the spend the ENTIRE weekend there? Isnt there some proverb about guests and fish smelling on the 3rd day? How long would you feel comfortable staying with a friend that was out of town, but not very far from your home?

I ask because I just had a wretched weekend with my ex boyfriend who would just NOT leave. I barely got any alone time this weekend, and I never got to destress from the work week because he was at my house before I even arrived home on friday.

Am I out of line to think he was rude for staying till 5 on sunday after I dropped subtle hints that I had things to do? He thinks that when you are very close with someone that the formalities go away and there is no point of it being "rude" to stay that long. I think that family can even stay to the point of rude. Am I a fuddy duddy? or is he just ungracious and socially inept?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Longhornliz said:
When you invited guests to visit for the weekend, is it your expectation that the spend the ENTIRE weekend there? Isnt there some proverb about guests and fish smelling on the 3rd day? How long would you feel comfortable staying with a friend that was out of town, but not very far from your home?

I ask because I just had a wretched weekend with my ex boyfriend who would just NOT leave. I barely got any alone time this weekend, and I never got to destress from the work week because he was at my house before I even arrived home on friday.

Am I out of line to think he was rude for staying till 5 on sunday after I dropped subtle hints that I had things to do? He thinks that when you are very close with someone that the formalities go away and there is no point of it being "rude" to stay that long. I think that family can even stay to the point of rude. Am I a fuddy duddy? or is he just ungracious and socially inept?

There is such a thing as "overstaying your welcome" and usually people can tell when it's time to leave. It's always the polite thing to leave early and give your host a breather. If the hosts insists that the guest should stay longer then one can decide to or not. Beeing that your guest was an old beau that does sort of make things a bit awkward. He probably did not see things the way you are seeing them.