Where Are They Now | Golden Skate

Where Are They Now

Jhar55

Medalist
I know this topic has come up several times, but today I was on line reading news paper from my hometown Marion, Indiana and the Mayor is Wayne Seybold. :thumbsup:

Cool.

Giving back to the community:

"Figure skaters Kim and Wayne Seybold (a brother and sister pairs team who finished tenth at the 1988 Calgary Olympics) received financial help from people in Marion, Indiana. In 1987 they slipped from second in the U.S. to fourth, which meant they didn't qualify for $10,000 in training grants from the United States Figure Skating Association. Their parents had also run out of money (the family lived in a trailer for 20 years to keep expenses down). Kim was working two jobs and Wayne waited tables, but it wasn't enough. It looked like the Seybolds would be forced to quit before they had their chance to compete in an Olympics.

"Our high school principal contacted my folks to see if it was OK to organize a fund-raiser," said Wayne. "From there, it just seemed to snowball. Within a few weeks, the hometown folks raised $40,000."

Said mother Jean Seybold in 1988, ''We were broke. There was no money to continue their training and they were disappointed about their finish at the [1987] U.S. nationals in Tacoma. It was a particularly low point in their career. Then the city had the fund raiser. That's what has kept them going. That's one of the things that motivates them. If it hadn't been for Marion, they wouldn't be skating. We couldn't have borrowed any more money.''

MM:)

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I remember that Kim had a brain tumor a long time ago and I think it was removed but never knew much. We saw them in Wichita a really long time ago. Don't remember what show it was. Last I heard they were well.

S

SkateFan4Life

Jhar55 said:
I know this topic has come up several times, but today I was on line reading news paper from my hometown Marion, Indiana and the Mayor is Wayne Seybold. :thumbsup:

Interesting! I'd like to see Paul Wylie run for public office at some point. We need more honest, ethical people in politics these days. My state of New Jersey has so many corrupt politicians, so many people with their hands out, giving and accepting bribes, that it's almost laughable. Except, of course, that the taxpayers (yours truly) are saddled with the highest property taxes in the United States. I'm not naive, not by any stretch of the imagination, but I would dearly love to see some honest people step up to the plate and run for public office. Paul has always been a class act, and well, he would be an excellent role model for others thinking of making a career in politics.

Just my own two cents, of course.