New Article on Tim Goebel | Golden Skate

New Article on Tim Goebel

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Thanx for posting that article. Tim's SP in Portland was just outstanding and I don't know if there was anyone there who didn't have a tear in their eye after he started crying on the ice. He is such a sweet guy and I hope he can pull everything together again with his skating and make that team for Torino. I still believe in him. :agree:

Tim skated very well in Portland and I thought he was making a comeback after such a poor previous season. But that Moscow Worlds skate was poor and it had nothing to do with the boots. He was extremely nervous, and putting too much pressure on himself. Imo, he needs to cut out the prayers while on the ice. They increase the pressure. A nice prayer on the morning of the competition would probably help to give him the confidence - but no prayers on the ice while getting ready to skate. A nice course in relaxation would be good right now to ease him through the season later.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I Hope Tim gets the jumps back....

I really liked his short program this year. I thought it was very mind grabbing to open the program with footwork - a different program layout than the usual. I also think he has made some good improvement presentation wise. He seems like such a nice kid (everyone under 35 is a "kid" LOL) and I'd sure like to see him make a comeback next year.

DG

Jhar55

Medalist
I always liked Tim's skating, but I think he's hit his peak and with all his injuries, boot problems he might medal at Nationals IMO not at worlds or Olympics. Maybe saying a little prayer before he's skates could be his way of relaxing some just take a deep breath. Now as far as skating with COI or SOI yes he could do very well.

S

SkateFan4Life

Jhar55 said:
I always liked Tim's skating, but I think he's hit his peak and with all his injuries, boot problems he might medal at Nationals IMO not at worlds or Olympics. Maybe saying a little prayer before he's skates could be his way of relaxing some just take a deep breath. Now as far as skating with COI or SOI yes he could do very well.

I've always admired Tim's jumping ability and his work ethic. At his best, he is one of the finest jumpers in the world - IMHO he's earned the title "Quad King".
Unfortunately for Tim, he's been plagued over the years with a series of foot and back injuries, not to mention boot problems and a tendency to become extremely nervous when he competes.

I had hoped that he would settle down and enjoy great success with training with Frank Carroll, but that just did not happen.

Hopefully, he can put all of his problems behind him and concentrate on the upcoming Olympic season. Certainly, he should win a spot on the US team, and it would be wonderful if he wins a medal. Will he do so? Perhaps.

As for his habit of praying prior to his performances, I think that's a part of his life. He's given interviews about his faith and has said he's a staunch Roman Catholic. His faith gives him comfort and peace, and I hope for his sake that his prayers have the calming effect on him that he needs to have when he competes.

All the best to Timothy. :thumbsup:

nymkfan51

Medalist
ITA Heather, with everything you said.
I hope his training goes well this summer and that he comes back next season in fighting shape. I like Audrey as a coach for him ... I think they connect very well. If he gets his quads back, he will definitely be a factor. I would just love to see that happen.

heyang

Record Breaker
I think TIm will be on the Olympic team - not sure about Oly podium.....but he wasn't exactly a favorite for any medal in 2002 and he came home with silver. So, you never know til it's over...... he might pull a Lulu.

Remember Lu Chen won Oly bronze in 94, World's in 95, 2nd at World's in 96, barely made the cut to long program at World's in 97 (no QR required for prior year's medalists. Only top 25 in SP continued to perform LP and she was 24th in SP) and came back to win a 2nd Bronze at Oly's in 98.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Tim won the bronze medal at the Olympics. :)

I don't know if he would do well in SOI because he isn't exactly the most charismatic skater. COI is okay because you just skate your own program.

I am actually hoping the next Olympic team is Weir, Lysacek and Savoie, but best of luck to Tim. :clap:

nicole_l

Final Flight
I am actually hoping the next Olympic team is Weir, Lysacek and Savoie, but best of luck to Tim.
Agreed! Unfortunately Matt's had a rough time at Worlds so far, and so I think that USFS will be reluctant to send him. We'll see how Nationals go.