Who should choreograph your favorite skater | Golden Skate

Who should choreograph your favorite skater

sk8m8

Final Flight
Upon greater thinking I beleive that M Kwan would benefit greatly working with Jeffery Buttle's choreographer. I think David Wilson could really push MK to do a complex and intricate program that not only showcases her natural abilities, but assures she racks up points in the CoP system.

I'd also love to see Angela Nikadinov work with someone like Alexander Zulin, as well. I believe that Angela's natural style is well suited to that of someone with an ice dance background.

Now what about your favorites and who should direct their steps toward gold in Turino?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I would like to see Kwan skate to something choreographed by Tarasova (yes, I know TT wouldn't do it, because she's coaching Arakawa, but still ...) David Wilsom would be another good choice.

brad640

On the Ice
I'm most excited to see Evan and Johnny's new programs. They both had choreography last season that was well below their ability level, and hopefully they will come up with something outstanding for the Olympics.

Evan I liked the programs Oleg Epstein choreographed for Evan, and I hope he does something else that is light and fun because so many other men are doing serious and dramatic. Frank must be thrilled to have a skater with potential to be a true Gene Kelly in ice after Tim's American in Paris in 2002 became just a thin cover up for his lack of style. I hope Epstein can bring out more of Evan's showmanship with more dance and more use of Evan's personality. Evan improved his spins after nationals last year, adding the A spin that got a good audience response at worlds, so hopefully he will utilize his long limbs to do more innovative spin positions. Whatever music he chooses, I can't wait to see him perform next year because he gained great confidence after worlds and his Marshall's performance was fantastic!

Johnny TT and Platov understand Johnny's romantic style, and the got him to bring some fire to the SP, so I'm glad he is staying with them. I would like to see him be more of a happy romantic next season because Otonal was sad romantic. I think he could be great with scores from French or Italian cinema. I really liked his Umbrellas of Cherbourg SP that he did in 2001, and I think the score from Il Postino could work well for him. I also loved Johnny's special Moscow exhibition choreographed by Oleg Ovsiyannikov and hopefully they will work together again, possibly on one of his competitive programs. I wish Johnny could take time this summer before working on the new programs to attend a variety of dance performances to find new styles that interest him. He says in interviews that he identifies with "the Russian style of skating," but he needs to broaden his experience to find his own style.

Hopefully Evan and Johnny will challenge themselves with memorable choreography. I am excited to see them compete with each other next season because they are so different in style and both are improving rapidly. I'm so glad there is finally a rivalry worth watching at US men's nationals, because I can't remember the last time that happened. I can't wait for nationals!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
brad640 said:
[TT and Platov understand Johnny's romantic style, and they got him to bring some fire to the SP, so I'm glad he is staying with them.
Brad, I am very, very happy Johnny is staying with Tatianna. First of all, I think she really likes him and second even though he is not her skater, I think she will come up with a tremendous program for him. I think she sees his wonderful style. :love:

I wish Sasha C. could still work with Tatianna, I loved both of Sasha's programs the year she was with Tatianna. :biggrin:
Hopefully Evan and Johnny will challenge themselves with memorable choreography. I am excited to see them compete with each other next season because they are so different in style and both are improving rapidly. I'm so glad there is finally a rivalry worth watching at US men's nationals, because I can't remember the last time that happened. I can't wait for nationals!!
Brad, I agree, even though it is a nailbiting experience which makes it so exciting. :clap: :) :clap:

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I'd love to see what Lori Nichols could do for Irina. Irina's programs tend to take "dramatic" much to literally, and I wish someone like Lori could fix that.

In the "would never happen but I wish it did" category, I'd place TT and Denkova & Stavijski. As she works with C&S, she wouldn't do that, but I feel she is the only coach who could propel them ahead of N&K.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Pitchka, just a question, not a challange at all...why not Irina Rodnina. Which really begs the question of why she isn't a more poplular coach?
You can answer here or start another thread if you like since this is about choreographers (though I know many coaches have a hand in this)

Back to the subject...

Since I want MK to take Gold inTurino, I'll make this suggestion for 06-07 but no one's ever mated Sandra Bezick to Sasha Cohen. I don't like SB as a commentator, but she can choreograph her *** off.

And though I think Jenny Kirk will have to work her a** off to make the team next year, I'd like to see her work with an ice dancer. She's trained in ballet and I think she needs that "dance emphasis" backgroud of a Zulin or even Peter T. Hint, Peter, if you still want to pull out an "Aurtur D" you may consider talking this lady into switching diciplines...once again, ramblings froma mad skating fan...your sk8m8 mark

nicole_l

Final Flight
Hint, Peter, if you still want to pull out an "Aurtur D" you may consider talking this lady into switching diciplines.

Peter may be getting a little old to be competing (but hey it's fine by me if he does!), but I agree that I can see Jenny in pairs or dance and succeeding there.

I don't have a problem with Jenny's style. It's her consistency for me. Neither a coach nor a choreographer will be out on the ice during a program. That time is the Skater's La Hora de Verdad y Que sera, sera.

Joe

SingAlto

On the Ice
No one can choregraph for Boitano better than Sandra Bezic. She has choreographed some incredible programs for him, and I wish they'd collaborate on at least one more program before BB (whimper...) retires.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
David Wilson gets my vote and I hope he continues as Jeff Buttles' choreographer. I can't wait to see what he comes with for Jeff next season.

:clap:

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I'd like to see Michelle work with Marina Zoueva. I really like the programs Marina has choreographed recently for Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen. When you think about it, Michelle's style is not dissimilar from Yuka's, in the sense that both of them emphasize flow and edging and musical expression, rather than a lot of fast steps or showstopping high-extension moves. If Marina can choreograph programs that flatter and complement Yuka's style, perhaps she could do the same for Michelle.

I'd also be interested in seeing Michelle work with David Wilson. I thought the programs he did last year for Jeff Buttle and Joannie Rochette were fascinating and really innovative. It would be interesting to see what he could do for Michelle.

And, as much as I dislike Sandra Bezic as a commentator, I have to admit that she certainly knows how to choreograph Olympic gold medal-winning programs. Michelle probably couldn't go too wrong with her either.

It will be interesting to see who Michelle chooses. I hope she makes a decision soon. I personally feel it's key for her to get her programs set early this year, so she can really get comfortable with them before the Olympics. Her chances will be so much better if she can just concentrate on the skating and not be constantly fiddling with the programs.

BTW, I looove the idea of Tarasova choreographing for Denkova/Staviyski. TT could create absolutely brilliant programs for those two. It's too bad it will never happen!!

brad640

On the Ice
eyria said:
I'd like to see Michelle work with Marina Zoueva. I really like the programs Marina has choreographed recently for Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen. When you think about it, Michelle's style is not dissimilar from Yuka's, in the sense that both of them emphasize flow and edging and musical expression, rather than a lot of fast steps or showstopping high-extension moves. If Marina can choreograph programs that flatter and complement Yuka's style, perhaps she could do the same for Michelle.

I love the idea of Zoueva for Kwan!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
sk8m8 said:
Pitchka, just a question, not a challange at all...why not Irina Rodnina. Which really begs the question of why she isn't a more poplular coach?
Well, first of all Rodnina would be a pairs coach, not a dance one. Second, she just plain wasn't very successful. Being a great coach is very different from being a great athlete. All Rodnina ever tried doing as a coach is duplicate Zhuk's style. The problem was that his style only worked for a handful of skaters. Rodnina unfortunately lacks the imagination to create a unique training regiment for each skater.

On the other hand, her name keeps coming up as a potential replacement for Valentin Piseev (once he retires). I would support that 100% as I truly believe that she is honest and cares deeply about the good of the sport.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
SingAlto said:
Not entirely. She choreographed a program for Kristi last year.
That's different. A choreographer of an elite skater today should be well versed in CoP to create not just a beautiful but also a smart program.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I also would not mind if Brian Orser continued as a choreograhper. His "Teach me Tiger" program for Jennifer Robinson was great.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
That's different. A choreographer of an elite skater today should be well versed in CoP to create not just a beautiful but also a smart program.

I quite agree, Pitchka, however, I did see the "Ice Moves with Debbie Wilkes on MSN Sypatico" and the quote I remember is Buttle's coach Wilson talking about what a great thing the COP was for all choreographers because many times they lay down the choreography and the skater goes back to powerful jumping passes and leaving out chorographical elements. Now the choreographers get to put in so much more interesting choreography since that is one of the things that is highly rewarded in CoP.

I can see his point. Maybe the choreographers have been itching to make skating "more beautiful" by transforming elements like spins and footwork passes, as well as neat choreography into jumps.

Is Tim G going to stick with Lori Nichols? Now there's a question. I know Audrey and he will work it out in actuality, but I keep wondering if there is some choreographer that can really draw Tim out and present his highest level of his skating. I think Robin Cousins could capture his "sensitive" side, or ask someone like Robin Wagner who both coaches and choreographs so she can challange him in all areas, both athletic and artistic....and now as Linda Eastman, for SNL would say..."Discuss, oi!"

Christopher Wheeldon!! The most exciting choreographer in ballet today. Like Ballanchine he makes a big trick look more like just other another step in the program. There is complete flow in his choreography.

David Wilson seems to have that talent of stressing skating moves with the music and not favoring the big tricks. Buttle and Rochette are excellent examples of showing the importance of flow and character.

Tatiana Tarassova also produces excellent skating programs. Her Swan Lake for Sasha was a gem; and Johnny's Nationals long program was superb.

Also, I would say Plush's choreographer. Bam! as Legassi would say. It's always over-the-top and if one likes it, so be it. I can do without it but it is a good example of bravura choreography which highlights the big tricks.

Joe