Jonathon Rhys-Meyers as Elvis | Golden Skate

Jonathon Rhys-Meyers as Elvis

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
What did you guys think of this? I thought the casting was great except for Priscilla and Ann Margaret. Rhys-Meyers impressed me as as did Camryn Manheim as Mama and Randy Quaid as the Colonel. The last scene of th 68' comeback special featured my favorite Elvis song "If I Can Dream". Every time I hear this I get chills...I LOVE this song! My only complaint is that Rhys-Meyers is a little scrawny to play Elvis...even the thin Elvis.

I found this in an article about the mini-series
"He has the physical look and the style that embodies Elvis, both the sweetness and the sex appeal. Obese Presley died in 1977 from a heart attack. He was 42."

Does this mean that thin Elvis is still alive? :rofl:

Aloft04

On the Ice
That explains it...I was sure I saw Thin Elvis buying Fudgsicles at the local
AM-PM MiniMart. :biggrin:

I didn't watch the show, but the still shots of the Irish actor really did seem to capture the essence of Elvis.

The trouble with Priscilla is that even Priscilla doesn't look like Priscilla anymore....she was so-o-o beautiful just a few years ago and aging with grace. I think she should sue her plastic surgeon.

Antilles

Medalist
I taped the second part last night and haven't watched it, so I can't comment on Priscilla and Ann-Margret. However, I thought Rhys-Meyers did a great job as Elvis. He is a little thin, but has the rest of the look down pat. Quaid did a good job as usual.

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
For being from the U.K., he did a good southern "Elvis" accent. Camryn Manheim deserves an emmy for her portrayal of his mother. And I'm not even a big fan of hers. At first, I didn't even realize it was her.

Sometimes he wouldn't look like Elvis at all and then all of a sudden it would be like he channelling him. It was freaky. lol

It's kinda funny, I have a Great-Uncle Elvis who lives in Roswell N.M. "Alien country" :laugh:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
CzarinaAnya said:
For being from the U.K., he did a good southern "Elvis" accent. Camryn Manheim deserves an emmy for her portrayal of his mother. And I'm not even a big fan of hers. At first, I didn't even realize it was her.

:

He is not from the UK. He is from Ireland, which is a separate and an independent country from the United Kingdom.

Yana

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
CzarinaAnya said:
Sometimes he wouldn't look like Elvis at all and then all of a sudden it would be like he channelling him. It was freaky. lol
I know what you mean, I thought that too. I would sometimes have to remind myself that it was an actor.

Sorry to be a little dense, but why all the Elvis stuff going on now? He died in 1977 so he's already passed his 25th anniversary and too soon for his 30th. Can anyone tell me?

Dee

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I think Elvis was born in May of 1935, so maybe because its 70 years since his birth?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Also, it's "sweeps month" and anything Elvis is a pretty good bet for a large audience.

Antilles

Medalist
Yeah, but his birthday is in January. Putting his specials into the Febraury sweeps would have made more sense. I don't know why all the sudden interest, but all of the specials I have seen have been well done.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Tho I'm not a huge Elvis fan, I did see most of the production and thought that Rhys-Meyers did an excellent job. As did Camryn Manheim and Randy Quaid. I'm sure all 3 will be nominated for Emmies.

What I did wonder, however, was what Ann-Margret, if she saw this, thought of Rose McGowan's portrayal of HER. Surely, in real life, it is not possible to act like THAT much of a bimbo......

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Does anyone know if the Presley estate (Lisa Marie/Priscilla) had any input or comment on this movie?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Aloft04 said:
The trouble with Priscilla is that even Priscilla doesn't look like Priscilla anymore....she was so-o-o beautiful just a few years ago and aging with grace. I think she should sue her plastic surgeon.
On the special Elvis by the Presley family, I have to very much agree with your assessment of Priscilla. I couldn't believe it was the same person. Also, why the dark hair? It just made her look harsh. It is just too bad.

Dee