Who plans to see Starwars Episode 3 on opening day? | Golden Skate

Who plans to see Starwars Episode 3 on opening day?

Vash01

Medalist
I have waited for this for 3 years. I am hoping to get tickets for the opening night of Revenge of the Sith. In the past people used to camp out to get the tickets. Now we may be able to buy them on line.

What are my expectations?

Great fight scenes, technical effects, powerful music, and great emotional scenes. It is a sad story, and it is the last piece of the puzzle of how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader. I have read the book already, but it is quite different to watch it on the screen.

I am counting days till May 19th.

Vash

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Vash......what we plan to do is to rewatch the last two prequels,then this last installment, and then go home and have a marathon Star Wars movie revisisted, counting back the episodes until the last scene of "Return of the Jedi", where the spirits of Anakin, Obi-won, and Yoda appear and wave a final salute to Luke Skywalker, the last of the great Jedis..........................42

mike79

On the Ice
I bought my tickets two weeks ago. I am so psyched for this movie, especially since the word of mouth is that Revenge of the Sith is fantastic.

Vash01

Medalist
To my surprise, I was able to buy tickets on line very easily, for the show of my choice. I will see it May 19th evening, and I am psyched about it.

Show42, in the last 2 weeks I have watched Episodes 1 & 2 (in fact for the last few years I have been watching all 5 Starwars tapes fairly often)- in that order. Once the episode 3 tape/DVD is out, I am planning to watch all 6 in a row.

I expect episode 3 to be the grandest of them all. Even if it is not, George Lucas deserves a lifetime achivement award for creating the most memorable movie series of all times. In addition, he revolutionized movie making, with the use of digital technology.

Vash

Last edited:

Antilles

Medalist
I've already got ticketrs for the first Sunday. I'm sure I will have to go early to get a good seat. I can't wait!

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
I will wait until it comes to our only WIDESCREEN theater in town and see it there-it will probably play only once there :frown: but it will be worth it! I won't dress up this time :biggrin: (although I might sneak in a lightsaber or two)--if my son dresses up in his Darth Vader costume, I can say I'm 'holding it for him'-yeah, that would work....

Then the long wait for the DVD!! I already have the soundtrack, read the book. Have all the others. Yeah, I'm weird like that!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Can you believe I only saw the very first Star Wars movie? I don't know why I never saw the rest. At any rate, you all seem very excited about this new film, so I am really happy for you! I hope it's as good as you are hoping it will be! :agree:

heyang

Record Breaker
In an interview, Steven Spielberg said that the ending of this movie brought him to tears - that's how good it's supposed to be. I definitely want to see this movie since it is the climax.

George Lucas is a huge proponent of 3D and plans to convert all 6 to 3D over the next few years.

I just realized that I have opening day off from work - totally unintentional; just had a carryover day that has to be used and I have a family event early in the evening. So, I might try to catch a showing in the afternoon instead of waiting for the crowds to thin out.

Vash01

Medalist
Heyang,

Lucky you! I hope it won't be so crowded that I can't even get in. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

When I read the book Episode 3, it brought tears to my eyes. What a terrible tragedy! Even knowing the happy ending of Return of the Jedi did not make this less tragic for me. I am sure it will be even magnified on the screen. George Lucas has taken a lot of rap (Undeserved, IMO) for the first two episodes. I hope this movie rewards him with praise he has deserved all along.

Just 5 more days!

Vash

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
mike79 said:
I bought my tickets two weeks ago. I am so psyched for this movie, especially since the word of mouth is that Revenge of the Sith is fantastic.

I read some of the reviews on IMDB and most reviewers gave it 9 or 10. That is very different from the response to the first two prequels.

mike79

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
I read some of the reviews on IMDB and most reviewers gave it 9 or 10. That is very different from the response to the first two prequels.

Over at the Rotten Tomatoes website the critics seem to have embraced the movie as well. It's gotten much better reviews than the other two prequels, and even Return of the Jedi.

heyang

Record Breaker
Reviews are also saying that this edition makes the sense of Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. I think i have to stop listening to stuff and getting my expectations too high.

LegalGirl82

On the Ice
show 42 said:
Vash......what we plan to do is to rewatch the last two prequels,then this last installment, and then go home and have a marathon Star Wars movie revisisted, counting back the episodes until the last scene of "Return of the Jedi", where the spirits of Anakin, Obi-won, and Yoda appear and wave a final salute to Luke Skywalker, the last of the great Jedis..........................42

Great plan, Show! Back in the mid '80's a theater near me had a marathon viewing of the first three in order, with a half hour break in between. It was awesome. Unfortunately, I never did see the first two prequels in the theater (only saw them on HBO), but I think I will have to see this last one in the theater. I'll see if I can get tickets sometime next week. Maybe I'll take an afternoon off!

Vash and everybody going to see it on opening day, have a blast! Back in '83, I waited on line five hours to see Return of the Jedi on opening day, and it was an experience I'll never forget. May the Force be with you!

Vash01

Medalist
I just got back from seeing it and it was Great! The force was certainly with me because although I had made reservations for the 7:45pm show, I was able to get into the 6:15pm without standing in the line at all. The theater was nearly full. When the movie started and ended, the audience applauded. Between those two ends there were many emotions. I cried toward the end. The special effects and battle scenes are phenomenal but what makes it work is the story which is told at a fast pace. There is not a dull moment or a superfluous scene.

A must see!

Vash

heyang

Record Breaker
Ooops - thought opening day was Friday. Anyway, I had my day off and it was a horribly rainy afternoon - the perfect kind for a movie. I got there in time for the 1:30 show after making sure that there were plenty of seats left - I would've waited for the 2PM show if the only seat was in the 1st row.

Anyway, I agree with Vash - wonderful movie. Really brought everything together amongst all the episodes. I didn't cry, but I did get teary at certain moments - the utter betrayal felt devastating.

For those of you worried about the PG-13 rating.... there were a lot of battle scenes and it was definitely more serious and darker than all of the other movies. Some of the violence wasn't on camera, but might be disturbing for a very young child. Parents know what their kids can and cannot handle - I told my brother that my 5 yr old nephew wouldn't have a problem with the battle scenes, but that they storyline and length of the movie might be beyond him.

brad640

On the Ice
I agree Vash and heyang - the movie was awesome!! Honestly I wish it had been released on IMAX screens only, because regular theaters are too small to accommodate the huge scope of the film. George Lucas redeemed himself after the first 2 disappointments. Very exciting!

Vash01

Medalist
I must be among the very few that liked all 3 episodes of the recent trilogy. Episode 3 was the best of them, and may even be the best of all 6. I watched episode 4 after seeing episode 3. Next episodes 5 & 6 again- may be for the 15th or 20th time (I lost count long ago).

SPOILERS AHEAD.......

What I really liked about Revenge of the Sith is it's not just about the special effects (Phantom menace overdid them, IMO). The story is carefully woven around Anakin's character- his idealistic nature, wanting to live the Jedi way, his attachments and fear, his desire for power that would make everything the way he wanted it, and finally his desire for power over the whole galaxy. Initially when he accepts the emperor as his master, he does it out of fear of his power, and the desire to save his wife's life (taking his dream too seriously and selling his soul to the devil based on that). Is he vulnerable, and the cunning Palpatine takes full advantage of his young age and mental weaknesses. It was shown very well. After several killings he cannot tell the difference between right and wrong anymore. The conflict in his mind becomes clear in Return of the Jedi. There are many tie-ins with the old trilogy, and with the first two episodes. They make more sense now, and I see the meaning in several situations that I did not see earlier. I have already seen this movie for the second time and it was definitely clearer.

Vash

Last edited:

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
We saw the movie Friday night! It was really great! Unfortunately, I had read the book beforehand and was 'spoiled' for the movie. So some of the things that I was expecting to see from the book weren't in the movie (why do I do this to myself?)

If you want to re-live the movie, read the book as it fills in a lot of detail. But-we will buy the DVD when it comes out. I already have the soundtrack. I loved the special effects and how everything was connected.

I really liked how Senator Organa was really included a lot in this movie. I liked the Wookie planet (I like Wookies better than Ewoks). I couldn't understand how Yoda didn't see any of this coming if he was such a powerful Jedi.

The lightsaber fights were awesome! It was sad how the Jedi were slaughtered though. My son got upset (he is 9). That was the only part that bothered him.
Yeah, it was cool. But, could there be ANOTHER movie? Maybe showing Luke and Leia growing up? Maybe explaining how Luke has some use of 'the force' and Leia doesn't? How Vader knows about Luke but not Leia? Why Leia says she remembers some about her mother (although she died when Leia was very young?).....

brad640

On the Ice
Skate@Delaware said:
I couldn't understand how Yoda didn't see any of this coming if he was such a powerful Jedi.
I wondered that too, but at least Yoda caught on before they were able to kill him. What was wrong with all the other Jedi? Shouldn't the Force have helped them realize they were about to be killed?

Skate@Delaware said:
The lightsaber fights were awesome!
Fantastic sequences! Lucas shot them more in close-up this time so there was a strobe effect that was disorienting and more exciting than in previous films.

Skate@Delaware said:
Yeah, it was cool. But, could there be ANOTHER movie? Maybe showing Luke and Leia growing up? Maybe explaining how Luke has some use of 'the force' and Leia doesn't? How Vader knows about Luke but not Leia? Why Leia says she remembers some about her mother (although she died when Leia was very young?).....
I would love it if they would make a movie about young Luke and Leia! Leia's story of how she became involved with the resistance would be very interesting.

What were you hoping to see from the book that wasn't in the movie?