Bush in Riga | Golden Skate

Bush in Riga

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I thought this was amazingly funny, and thought I'd share. When Bush visited Riga, he was met by what he thought were his supproters. They carried around posters with his portrait on it, and words "Peace Duke". You'll find pictures here; in fact, those posters were apparently all over Riga; Bush even took a picture of himself with a lady carrying a T-shirt like that (seen here) - that picture even made it into Washington Post. The only problem... In several Eastern European languages including Russian, when those two words are said together, they form a pretty obscene word. So in essence Bush was smiling at himself being greatly humiliated :rofl:

P.S. I really don't want to start a Bush debate here. While I, as board readers know, don't like the guy, I think he (with a couple of exceptions) did a pretty good job on this very complex tour. I just thought this was hilarious regardless of what you think of the politics of it. Just as I couldn't help laughing when back in the Kosovo campaign days some Russian anti-Clinton posters read, "Monica, please put your teeth together".

gezando

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
I thought this was amazingly funny, and thought I'd share. When Bush visited Riga, he was met by what he thought were his supproters. They carried around posters with his portrait on it, and words "Peace Duke". You'll find pictures here; in fact, those posters were apparently all over Riga; Bush even took a picture of himself with a lady carrying a T-shirt like that (seen here) - that picture even made it into Washington Post. The only problem... In several Eastern European languages including Russian, when those two words are said together, they form a pretty obscene word. So in essence Bush was smiling at himself being greatly humiliated :rofl:

I disagree with "greatly humiliated" for Bush, b/c he did not know the language well enough and was caught in a comic situation. Maybe he mistakenly believe that anyone who holds up a T shirt with the word welcome truly means welcome, It happens all the time. When Carter visited Poland, he said "since I left the States (for this tour)" was translated as "since I abdicated"

Of course if Bush or any leader of a free country, only wants to have good press, or avoid all misunderstandings he can by pass this by not taking pictures with citizens of the host countries. He can choose not to go outside a circle of supporters, ie he can choose the Kim (of North Korea's path) :biggrin:

Nice at least these pics provide some comic moments for some people. :rofl:

Last edited:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
"I am a Jelly donut" or "I am a Berliner", President Kennedy. These things happen to EVERY president. :p

Joking aside, IMHO President Bush's trip to Eastern Europe was not a success. He vacillated back and forth between bullying and trying to sound conciliatory, with the result that I do not believe that anyone came away with a firmer understanding of American foreign policy.

At least that is how his speeches and public announcements seemed to me. Maybe behind closed doors something of value was accomplished. (?)

Mathman

Antilles

Medalist
I think the trip was a success, when you consider that the grenade in Georgia didn't blow up.

gezando

Final Flight
bully v conciilation

Both are relevant if apply appropriately to the right target. I haven't been following Bush's European trip. If he bullied and was concillatory towards the right targets then it would be a success.

About things accomplished or not behind closed doors. I am not banking on much being done, Bush is a lame duck president.

The grenade did not blow up, good for the Georgia.

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Success of Bush trip

First of all, I think the way this trip was planned was genius. He had two very distinct goals. On the one hand, he had to show his support both for the somewhat established democracies of the Baltics and for the new revolutions of Ukraine and Georgia; on the other hand, he had to show respect to the Russians people on the 60th anniversary of the V-E day.

The choice of Latvia and Georgia was not accidental. The former is the most Russian-friendly of the three Baltic states (Lithuania exists in virtual economic symbiosis with Poland, while Estonia has close ties with Finland), yet Bush going there clearly indicates support for the other two. As for Georgia - Rose Revolution rankles Russians less than the Orange One, yet, once again, going to Tbilisi clearly indicates support for Kiev as well.

Now, for Russia. I think it's very hard for non-Russians to understand exactly how important May 9th is for the Russian people. Yes, US lost many people in WWII, but it doesn't come anywhere close. In Russia, not only has every single family lost someone (in my case - my great grandfather), but the generation of my grandparents either fought in the war (both my grandfathers), or lived through terrible deprivations while evacuated from German-occupied areas (both my grandmothers, my parents-in-law). This is a truly sacred day. That's why it was indeed essential for Bush to be there at the Red Square and play along with the spectacle (ugly as it was, what with the red hammer-and-sickle flags and all).

Overall, I think this trip was a huge step in the right direction. Going back to Bush Sr., US has had a disastarous foreign policy toward Russian - basically stick with the president no matter what he does! This was most pronounced with Clinton supporting Yeltsin unequivocally when, say, he opened fire on his own parliament! In his relationship with Putin, Bush in his first term continued this policy. This I hope signals a break - and I really hope that this is the model that the next president (whatever party he/she comes from) sticks to.

Now, for what I did NOT like. Most importantly, I thought Bush should not have appeared so chummy with Putin. His support is for the Russian people and their sacrifices during the war; his problems are with the current president who is leading the country down a very dangerous path. I thought it was perhaps even appropriate to go down to Putin's dacha, but he should not have appeared quite so happy there.

Also, I did not like the timing of the request for appology to the Baltics. Yes, this is something that needs to be addressed, and Russians have to face up to what USSR did. However, Victory Day week is exactly the wrong time. I truly feel that whatever veterans are still alive deserve to think back to 60 years ago with pride on this day. Expecting them to face up to Stalin's errors on this day is cruel and un-realistic. Overall, unfortunately, there isn't much support in Russia for such an appology even on a good day; on May 9th, I bet even the liberals who normally support it would feel uncomfortable with it. It would be like making America acknowlege certain mistakes it made in Afghanistan on the anniversay of 9-11. So, bottom line - right message, wrong timing. Another note about this point. One thing that is easy for foreign reporters to miss is that in the Baltic states there has been a weird re-assessment of history gonig on in the last decade or so. Now, many see those who fought along side Russians against the Germans as traitors (they even tried inditing some of them). Implicit in this message is that those countries would have been better off under Hitler. This is the wrong message to bring up on this anniversary.

So, looking back at what I've written (sorry for such a long post) - I'd give an A- to Bush's advisers who helped him plan this trip, and a C+ for Bush's execution of it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Ptichka. I think most Americans know Bush is not very bright. Unfortunately, the real leader of the US, and the man behind Bush is Cheney. He is bright and imo, evil.

Joe

gezando

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Unfortunately, the real leader of the US, and the man behind Bush is Cheney.
Have to disagree . How is he the real leader???? The constitution provides a lot of checks and balances

He is imo, evil.

Huh??? Where do you get that idea??? Is Cheney the head of a drug caratel? Does he kill / imprision anyone who dares to disagree with him??

Last edited:
Gezando - Don't get worked up over nothing. I am in a free country and can dislike my leaders if I choose, and I can like figure skaters from other countries.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
gezando said:
Have to disagree . How is he the real leader???? The constitution provides a lot of checks and balances
If the Senate does away with filibusters for judicial nominees, we'll see yet another one of those go...

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
I get it! Oh, my!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rock:

I must have one of those "Bush Duke" shirts. Does anyone have friends in Riga? Anybody know if some bright entrepreneur is selling them stateside yet?
This is even better than the "treason label" shirt from last year!
xoxo,
Rave

gezando

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Gezando - Don't get worked up over nothing. I am in a free country and can dislike my leaders if I choose, and I can like figure skaters from other countries.

Joe
:rofl: worked up over nothing. :laugh: I don't like Cheney too much either. I agree with you that Bush is not too bright, just wonder what you meant by evil?? Of course different people have different definition of evil. I defined mine, just want to know yours. :rofl:

I too live in this free country and hope I am allow to agree with you sometimes, disagree with you sometimes, and wonder what you meant sometimes. :biggrin:

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
If the Senate does away with filibusters for judicial nominees, we'll see yet another one of those go...

Even some republicians don't like to abolish filibuster. Sure they will fight over this, IMHO at the end of the day, filibuster stays.

Last edited:

lavender

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Thanks for the info, Ptichka. I think most Americans know Bush is not very bright. Unfortunately, the real leader of the US, and the man behind Bush is Cheney. He is bright and imo, evil.

Joe

:laugh: