Adult Pre Bronze moves tips | Golden Skate

Adult Pre Bronze moves tips

Shellyduchsk8s

Spectator
Hi!

I'm teaching adult prebronze moves, and my student is having a HECK of a time getting those outside 3 turns. Any advice? He's been working on them for quite some time, but still steps a lil early and when he steps for his next outside 3, steps back down the line, instead of continuing up line, so he's backtracking. Any tips are MUCH appreciated!

~Shelly

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Hi I'm working on my adult pre-bronze test too. When I do the forward 3 turns the free foot should come close to the skating foot in a type of plie before starting the next 3 turn. Make sure the knees are bent to start the next 3 turn. Make sure he holds the inside edge before stepping on the other foot.

icer

Rinkside
I'm also working on the pre-bronze moves (or was before my current hiatus)... One thing that helped was to really focus on keeping my upper body vertical as I come out of the turn- I have a tendency to bend my upper body forward. Also helps to practice just the turns and hold the back edge longer than you would if you were doing the sequence- as though you were doing a complete 8 (so coming out of the 3 turn nicely can be practiced separately from that tricky transition).

Figureskates

On the Ice
Oh my, I thought you were my coach for a minute.

I am working on the same thing and am having the same problem. In my case two things were going on. First I didn't wait to the top of the lobe before making the 3 turn which meant I had to stay on a back inside edge longer to get back to the axis. Number two, I was not particularly comfrotable on an back inside edge and would have the tendency to try to step forward too early...way before the axis.

The solution to number one was to try not to rush. If I don't slow down and take my time, the early 3 turn occurred. The second problem is getting better. Coach has me doing figures as well and I am getting better on my back inside edge.

I don't know how old your student is but I am a 59 year old male and I find this stuff just seems to take longer the older you get.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I will use the outside 3s as an example:

Make sure that the shoulder of the skating leg is checked. If starting on the right foot, make sure that they are checking the right shoulder (not pulling it back too far to the right so that the transition at the axis is causing them to step back from where they came.)

Make sure that the skating leg is bent and that they keep it bent so that they can step into the next outside edge for the 3 turn.

I found it helpful to make sure that the skating leg was behind me or resting at my skating foot and not swinging around (that will cause imbalance and lack of control)

Make sure that the 3 turn is executed at the top of the semicircle and not before. I found myself anticipating the turn way too soon. Tell your student to think about making sure that they are perpendicular to the boards on the end before they make that 3 turn. They will be facing the long boards head on before the turn.

I struggled with these moves. Once I employed the about info, I was able to do them and pass the test. I find that the inside 3 turns are easier for me.

Hope this helps.