Discussion - Is Sasha's Skating Brittle or Fragile? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Discussion - Is Sasha's Skating Brittle or Fragile?

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
I don't think she's brittle or fragile, just boring as h**l. A bunch of "look how flexible I am" moves and some "I'm a pwitty pwincess" poses that have NOTHING to do with her music, thats what I see. So she can point her toes, so can I, does that make me dazzling and breathtaking and mesmerizing? :rofl: No. It just makes me a person who canpoint her toes. Sasha has no connection to her music, no emotion, she's rather inconsistant, her edging is poor, and she's not very powerful. To me, she's flat out boring.

heyang

Record Breaker
:rock: Yay, Granny!! :clap:

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but no slamming anyone who doesn't agree.

brad640

On the Ice
dancindiva03 said:
I don't think she's brittle or fragile, just boring as h**l. A bunch of "look how flexible I am" moves and some "I'm a pwitty pwincess" poses that have NOTHING to do with her music, thats what I see. So she can point her toes, so can I, does that make me dazzling and breathtaking and mesmerizing? :rofl: No. It just makes me a person who canpoint her toes. Sasha has no connection to her music, no emotion, she's rather inconsistant, her edging is poor, and she's not very powerful. To me, she's flat out boring.

:rofl: Not sure why you are so quick to dismiss the difficulty of pointed toes. One of the things that makes Sasha's skating so beautiful is the amazing tension she has in her body when she skates. Pointing the toes requires strength in the core and leg muscles to be able to maintain that tension, strength that other skaters lack.

As for the rest of your post, way to beat that dead horse by dragging out the same comments that Sasha's detractors have been posting for years while she has won 2 world silvers!

mzheng said:
That was because Angela was not there.
:rock: :rock:

euterpe

Medalist
The tension in Sasha's body when she skates is nothing compared to the tension of figure skating fans watching her skate. We all watch with bated breath, wondering when the mistake will come. And sadly, it always does.

Peggy

On the Ice

Have you noticed, get a thread going about another skater and some people will have a comment but mention Sasha and almost everyone has an opinion. I'm amazed at how much passion there is for Sasha and against Sasha. All you have to do is say her name and comment one positive thing about her and the thread will never end. She is quite amazing!!!

gezando

Final Flight
she has won 2 world silvers

Definitely, and deserved the medals too. That means she has enough to place well in competition. As for the rest of dancindiva's post, that refers to the artistic part of skating. Appreciation of art is subjective, some may drool all over Coehn's beaver cleaver, find her amazing and some may find her bathroom breaks, yawn, flat out amazingly boring. Difference of opinion

kyla2 said:
Get over yourself, get a life and get lost.

:rofl: After decades of full time practice, you finally found the right Rx for yourself :biggrin: :rofl:

Last edited:

gezando

Final Flight
bdreampixie said:
I would say so. At Nats, I realized that the biggest jumps and best speed came from Michelle, which is kind of funny because compared to Shiz and Irina, I would say MK's jumps and speed is average.

I also remember seeing Fumie skate and how fast and flowing her skating was compared to Sasha's and thinking "Wow, Fumie should really be beating her more regularly." I was especially impressed with how fast she spins. Too bad Fumie is so inconsistent.

ITA. MK used to be slow too, compared to e.g. Tara, and Nicole. It took her years to improve to the current speed, she has very quiet edges since the beginning though. I think some Russian skaters like Katia (who is so slim) have such power in strokes and edging has something to do with their practice in outdoor rinks.

IMO, some American coaches emphasize more on getting the jumps early even sacrificing technique. (look at all the flutzing) Some American coaches emphasize the pointed toes, and sacrifice teaching some of the very important basics. IMO Dick and Peggy's constant gushing over the pointed toes, and ignoring to talk about the skating flaws are not helping.

Last edited:

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
No, I definetly don't think she's weak or brittle. She's been getting stronger since she went back to Mr.Nicks. I also think being home, she'll have more concentration and less homesickness.

I know what it feels like to have bad concentration. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was younger, and then we realized it was OCD when I was a little older. There are so many things I love to do, but sometimes it's hard to keep focus. For example, homework would take forever to finish. My point is, maybe Sasha has a form of ADD or something else, because her lack of concentration is pretty consistent. I know meds help, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. So, if she took something(assuming she has a concentration disorder) maybe it would work wonders for her. :eek: :)

mzheng

Record Breaker
I don't know what difference between ADD and OCD. But I read somewhere that as a gymnastics she had problem to keep focus on. That's why her Mom encourage her switch to skating for afraid of her losing concentration on the equipments where more serious injury would occure.

Peggy said:
I'm amazed at how much passion there is for Sasha and against Sasha. All you have to do is say her name and comment one positive thing about her and the thread will never end. She is quite amazing!!!
I agree! It is remarkable how some skaters seem to be lightning rods for attention and opinion, while others fly under the radar their whole careers.

I also understand where Kyla is coming from. I feel the same way about my fave (Michelle). To me, if anyone (judges, for instance) can't see the overall Kwanliness of it all -- well, then you are just being deliberately and criminally perverse, LOL.

Mathman:)

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Fragile or brittle?

Simply put, Sasha's skating is wonderful, lovely and she has beautiful positions. Her skating, in competition long programs, often has mistakes in the jumps.

It is as simple as this. She is a wonderful skater and athlete who makes mistakes on jumps.

No one is perfect in any athletic endeavor. Sasha may not be the best because she makes errors on jumps. Never-the-less, she is a world class figure skater.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
brad640 said:
:rofl: Not sure why you are so quick to dismiss the difficulty of pointed toes. One of the things that makes Sasha's skating so beautiful is the amazing tension she has in her body when she skates. Pointing the toes requires strength in the core and leg muscles to be able to maintain that tension, strength that other skaters lack.

As for the rest of your post, way to beat that dead horse by dragging out the same comments that Sasha's detractors have been posting for years while she has won 2 world silvers!

:rock: :rock:

Ummmmmm I'm not so impressed by her pointed toes because I've only been skating 2.5 years and I can point my toes just as well as she does. If little old pre-bronze me can do it, then I'm not going to be so impressed by some big-time skater who can do it.

I never said anything about Sasha's silver medals, and I won't say she didn't deserve them. I was not discussing or debating her results, just my own views on her presentation and how I feel about it. So go on and rock on about her silver medals, and I'll go watch someone else who I find just a bit more interesting.

Fossi

Final Flight
CzarinaAnya said:
No, I definetly don't think she's weak or brittle. She's been getting stronger since she went back to Mr.Nicks. I also think being home, she'll have more concentration and less homesickness.

QUOTE]

I have yet to see the improvements people gush about. This was her worst performance at Worlds. She didn't skate clean in ANY portion of the competition. I'm amazed she was silver and not bronze. Her 2 footed jumps are not acceptable for someone that is a 2 time silver medallist.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
Fossi said:
I have yet to see the improvements people gush about. This was her worst performance at Worlds. She didn't skate clean in ANY portion of the competition. I'm amazed she was silver and not bronze. Her 2 footed jumps are not acceptable for someone that is a 2 time silver medallist.
:rock: :clap: :agree: Definitely!

kyla2

Final Flight
Mathman, ChiSk8Fan

Thanks for the words of support for me and Sasha. Mathman, I feel the same about the glorious Michelle. But in the end, the only opinions that count regarding Sasha are the judges, and 99% of the time they do get it right in spite of all the nonsense and political shenanigans that go on in the world of skating. We are just shooting the breeze so to speak.

brad640

On the Ice
dancindiva03 said:
I've only been skating 2.5 years and I can point my toes just as well as she does. If little old pre-bronze me can do it, then I'm not going to be so impressed by some big-time skater who can do it.
Good for you that you can point your toes. If you make it to the top of the skating world and people start bashing you on message boards saying that what you do is easy, then I will come to your defense and explain that pointing toes is difficult and that balletic skating is beautiful.

dancindiva03 said:
So go on and rock on about her silver medals, and I'll go watch someone else who I find just a bit more interesting.
You misread my post. I was responding to mzheng's statement in post #56 that Angela has big jumps and great speed.

dancindiva03

Match Penalty
brad640 said:
Good for you that you can point your toes. If you make it to the top of the skating world and people start bashing you on message boards saying that what you do is easy, then I will come to your defense and explain that pointing toes is difficult and that balletic skating is beautiful.

You misread my post. I was responding to mzheng's statement in post #56 that Angela has big jumps and great speed.

LOL this is getting waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too serious! I will never ever make it to the top of the skating world...not even the adult division of skating! Seriously I was not bashing Sasha, just saying that it takes more than pointed toes and Gumby moves to impress me. She's just not my cup of tea.

gezando

Final Flight
dancindiva said:
I was not bashing Sasha
ITA. Unfortunately people who refuse to bow and worship Sasha, and dare to speak that they are not impressed with Cohen were at the receiving end of tantrum throwing

Fossi said:
CzarinaAnya said:

QUOTE]

Cohen will never have Carolina's speed, flow, and depth of edges. I think worlds was a toss up b/w the 2 for silver. bronze. I think judges do not get it 99percentg right re: Cohen. Prime example were the US judges placing above Sarah Hughes in nationals, and the international judges got it right by placing Hughes above Cohen.

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Fossi said:

In the defence of Sasha, her edge quality improved a lot since SLC. Back then she basically skated on flat (from ppl who witness her skating in person at practices) but now she acheives edges by body lean. And don't forget we had 2 footed jumps queen as OGM. So what's so hurt Sasha got rewarded silvers....As long as judge panel accepted them. It diddn't matter double footed or cheated, as long as you stay vertical, they all worked. (though under different rules).