Spirals/Laybacks | Golden Skate

Spirals/Laybacks

C

Callystarr

Spirals/Laybacks

Who do you think, outside of the US has the best Spiral and Laybacks?

T

tharrtell

Re: Spirals/Laybacks

Yuka's are nice. I'm sure there are more, but I'm having trouble thinking of skaters who hold their spirals long enough and/or a have Button-approved foot position on their laybacks.

S

SteveKmetko374

I like Lucinda's - not the classic layback but the one where her back is practically, if not actually, parallel to the ice.

C

Callystarr

Fumie Suguri among the eligible skaters has a decent layback with good speed, and arm variations.

As far as spirals, from what I can remember...I am not sure but i think Drei, Kettnunen, or Poykio had a really good spiral sequence...

C

Cherub72182

Oksana Baiul... nice spiral position and sideways leaning layback.

M

maxell1313

**Showdown between Kwan and Cohen.**

Outside of the US?

L

Linny

Button approved

You mean best as in "Dick Button approved"?

For layback, it has to be Angela. I think Dick would return from the refrigerator break just long enough to mention that her layback is the best in the business (frivilous frumpery aside).

Linny

A

AY2006

Re: Button approved

"Outside of the US?"

Maybe kwan could represent China and Cohen could represent Ukraine (and Nikodinov could represent Bulgaria) someday. That would make more room for other US skaters... (j/k)

S

sk8ing lady2001

I enjoy Irina's spiral so much, like I have pointed out many times. :)

H

heyang

For layback, Ruh's incredible. She's practically a contortionist on her spins.

As for spirals, I don't think anyone can come close to the American ladies for extension and maintaining the position. Irina's does have an edge, but she seldom holds the extended leg in a nice position for the entire movement. It's hard to judge because TV doesn't focus only on the edge and it's easier to watch the extension.