Rachael

On the Ice
What are you reading this summer?

I'm reading...
Pyscho II
Bushworld
Loop
Harry Potter #6

I'm sure I'll read more but that's all for now.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Right now I am reading the sequal to Lake Woebegone Days by Garrison Keillor. It's a light read, but humorous. I enjoy these type of stories. I also recommend The Vinyl Cafe by Stuart McLean. It's a Canadian version of Lake Woebegone Days. Very entertaining.

heyang

Record Breaker
Plan to read Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince when it's released in July.

Right now I'm reading Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife which is a sequel to Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. The writing style is similart to Austen's, but the story is more open to bring it into today's reader.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Heyang..........I'm a huge Jane Austen fan.........who wrote the sequel to "Pride and Prejudice"?

I'm currently reading four novels........One of the "Earthsea" novels called "Tehanu", a Nora Roberts mystery, another Dan Brown novel, and a book about the history of the symbols on the dollar bill. I plan to drop everything on July 15th and dig into the newest Harry Potter book........42

Aloft04

On the Ice
I don't get enough time to read in the summer, but I've got several in various stages:
~'Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress' ( a great little life story set during the Cultural Revolution in China),
~'Paradise' (a comical and yet sad story about alcohol addiction and the havoc it wrecks on relationships), and
~'A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius' (a lovely story of strength and survival of a family after the deaths of both parents)

4dogknight

Final Flight
Show,
there have been more sequels to “Pride & Prejudice” than you can shake a stick at. If you like Austen and you like mysteries, let me recommend Carrie Bebris’ “A Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mystery” series. While there are only two books published as yet, I hope this will be a long series because I was captivated with the first two books: “Pride and Prescience (Or, A Truth Universally Acknowledged)” and “Suspense and Sensibility (Or, First Impressions Revisited)”.

I also recommend Stephanie Barron’s “Being a Jane Austen Mystery” series. The main character in this series of eight, so far, books is Jane Austen. All of the plots are built around actual events in Jane’s life and the events of the day. I do suggest you read the books in chronological order since they are based on actual incidents.

Your local library might have the Barron books but the Bebris books are a little new. In any case all the books are available on Amazon dotcom.

To answer your question; Linda Berdoll wrote “Mr. Darcy Takes A Wife”. I did read the book and it just wasn’t my cup of tea. You might want to access Amazon dotcom and read the reviews yourself.

There are several other period series set in England that I enjoy:
Robin Paige – turn of the century (20th) time frame featuring Lord Sheridan and his American wife Kate.

Laurie King – 19th century time frame featuring Mary Russell and her husband Sherlock Holmes.

Anne Perry – 19th century time frame. Two series, one featuring Hester and William Monk and the other, Charlotte and Thomas Pitt. There was a film “The Cater Street Hangman” which was based on the first Charlotte and Thomas Pitt book.

Now if you want to go back a little bit in history to 12th century France I can recommend the Sharan Newman series featuring Catherine Le Vendeur. And there is also the superb Elizabeth I mystery series by Karen Harper.

My I did ramble on didn’t I. Sorry.

4dk – I read therefore I am.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
4dog...........Wow! Thanks for the detailed list of reading material. It certainly got my interest.........well, I'm off to my next favorite site (after GS).....Amazon.com....... ;) 42

nicole_l

Final Flight
I'd love to get through these books:

Notes from the Underground
The Gamble
The Idiot
--Doestoyevsky

The Inferno
--Dante

The Dante Club
The Third Sisterhood of the Pants
finishing up all of Meg Cabot's books (I've been reading books for 14 year olds for about nine years...)

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I just finished reading "High Five" by Janet Evanovich. This is the 5th in the Stephanie Plum, Bounty Hunter series & as I go through this series the books become funnier & funnier. :rofl: I've just begun "The Death of Colonel Mann" a turn of the century (20th) mystery. After that I plan to read "The Shape of Snakes
by Minette Walters.

K-Mo

On the Ice
Harry Potter!!! I was such a nerd with the 5th book that I read it as soon as I got home from buying it. I think I stopped to eat and sleep, but that's about it.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I'm on it, Heyang.........there's another sequel called, "Excessively Diverted" by Juliette Shapiro. Have you read that one as well? I'm tempted to buy both.......42

SingAlto

On the Ice
I just finished "Stolen Lives" by Malika Oufkir (excellent true story), and I just started on "The Americans" by John Jakes-- book #8 in the Kent Family Chronicles. If you like American historical fiction, I highly recommend this series.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Liz...........I've read all of Jean Auel's pre-historic books. They are amazing.....42

heyang

Record Breaker
I haven't read any other Pride & Prejudice sequels. The title just got my attention at the library.

I've also read all of Jane Auel's books. If you enjoy it, there's Valley of the Horses, Mammoth Hunters, Plains of Passage and Shelters of Stone. I probably liked Valley of the Horses the least because of the lack of human interaction for Ayla. There's so much detail in the books because of the amount of research.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Heyang: "Valley of the Horses" was my Favorite in the Jean Auel series!! "The Mammoth Hunters" was my least favorite. Different strokes?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am finishing Demon's & Angels - Dan Brown and have thought about the Da Vinci Code but I'm not sure about it. I saw an documentary about it and wasn't sure that I would like to read it. I love Demons & Angels. Any suggestions about the Da Vinci Code book?

Dee