another Yagudin article | Page 9 | Golden Skate

another Yagudin article

mzheng

Record Breaker
Vitacus said:
Also, I don't think they need to praise the US over their own home country, just because they tour with COI or SOI.
You are right they don't need to praise the US over their home country, neither they need to diss US, where offered them a chance to make money in their Rusian interviews (that's some ppl here have problem or don't understand with.), unless they felt they need to 'fit' in Rusia.

Last edited by a moderator:

curious

Final Flight
Vitacus said:
Ok, I fail to see the negative in what they said...they only stated they're happy where they are (in Russia), so why change? Doesn't make sense to permanently move to live and train in the US if there's no need to (such as poor training conditins etc.). :confused:

For example, Plushenko recieved many offers to permanently move and train in the US...they (USFSA? or other?) offered him excellent training facilities in Florida, appartment/house, probably a lot of money etc, but he declined.

Also, I don't think they need to praise the US over their own home country, just because they tour with COI or SOI. They've said some very nice things about the US, the people, cities, the tour, training facilities etc to the press (though I've mostly read Plushenko's comments so can't really say about all the others). Russian skaters are not known for much a$$ kissing, which probably is what everyone is whining about here? :laugh: Not sure what everyone expects them to do that they haven't done already? :confused:

Come on, these skaters worked their way to the top without any help from NA. Personally, I think they've done an excellent job on the tours...what more can one ask for? :)

:rock:

yep,they certainly have the right to earn as much money if not more than north americans skaters :biggrin:

Vitacus

Rinkside
As for Yags, he has the "speak first, think later" mentality, which may not be the most intelligent approach, but when you're that popular it (smarts) often doesn't matter. I must say though that his "American women are like dinosaurs" (regarding weight) comment made me cringe, even though it was probably a joke. :eek:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
soogar said:
Evan Lysacyk trained in Russia with Kundravstiev and even learned a little Russian and he has never said anything negative about that country.
No one ever thought of asking Evan if he wanted to move to Russia, or train there permanently, or if he liked it more than he liked his own country. You say even learned a little Russian like it's something out of the ordinary - all Russian skaters living in the US learn English, and that's considered the norm.

Vitacus

Rinkside
mzheng said:
You are right they don't need to praise the US over their home country, neither they need to diss US, where offered them a chance to make money in their Rusian interviews (that's some ppl here have problem or don't understand with.), unless they felt they need to 'fit' in Rusia.

:scratch:

If you're talking about Plushenko declining the generous offer to live and train in the US, I don't see how that's dissing the US? He said he had everything he needed for his training in Russia, so to him it was not necessary to move. It could be loads of reasons for not moving and I don't see why fans have to question them. I don't think it's being disrespectful toward the states. :confused: He's always been very respectful in his interviews.

Last edited:

Vitacus

Rinkside
Ptichka said:
No one ever thought of asking Evan if he wanted to move to Russia, or train there permanently, or if he liked it more than he liked his own country. You say even learned a little Russian like it's something out of the ordinary - all Russian skaters living in the US learn English, and that's considered the norm.

I totally agree with you!

mzheng

Record Breaker
Vitacus said:
:scratch:

If you're talking about Plushenko declining the generous offer to live and train in the US, I don't see how that's dissing the US? .

No, I'm not talking about Plushenko. I don't know someone offer his money/rink to live in US. In a way I had admired his 'Patiotic' spirit a few years ago, when he was dissing Yagudin moveing in trainning in US, even I'm a fan of Yagudin rooted for him in every competetion against Plushenko.

Here some were talking about two faces interviews given to NA media and Rusian Media. (if you are on boards long enough, there are a few this type intervews being disscussed in veriouse boards). As I said before, I say again, I have no problem with this though I wouldn't do it myself (but nobody will ask me either. lol), I understand some of them might felt the needy to 'fit' in where they currently stay....this brought me some thought on issue of 'cold war' mentality mentioned by some posters here.

Ptichka said:
Ptichka - You've heard the one about the definition of a linguist........

A trilinguist is person who speaks three languages

a Bilinguist is a person who speaks two languages

A linguist who speaks only one languaage is an American. :rolleye:

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Recent studies though showed that we bilinguals are at a lower risks to develop Alzheimer's when we get old (those of us actually who use both languages on daily basis). So here's to us Bilinguals! :rock:

curious

Final Flight
Vitacus said:
As for Yags, he has the "speak first, think later" mentality, which may not be the most intelligent approach, but when you're that popular it (smarts) often doesn't matter. I must say though that his "American women are like dinosaurs" (regarding weight) comment made me cringe, even though it was probably a joke. :eek:

considering that most of his american fans are not very skinny lol! think before you open that big mouth will never be yags forte :biggrin:

mzheng said:
LOL. How could you forget how to bilingual?
Either my short term memory is failing or I once knew a few words of German or my short term memory is failing.:confused:

Excidra2001

On the Ice
I think its safe to say that each person loves where they come from, no matter where you work, you'll always want to return home. One of my close friends is from Africa. She's been in Canada for about 18 years, she grew up here and took advantage of the opportunities which were offfered to her(school is paid for by the government, has a job and is living well) but she does not hide the fact that some day she wants to go back home(to Africa) to live there. She feels thats where she belongs. Should I criticize her decision, and tell her she should not bite the hand that feeds her? NO. She took the opportunities that were offered to her and she is going back, and I support her 100%.

There is nothing wrong with Russian skaters stating that they would never train in America or another country, as long as they have training facilities in Russia. Again, nothing wrong with that.
What folks do not understand is that top Russian skaters are in demand in terms of tours. Its not like the top Russian skaters are knocking on the doors of COI/SOI and begging to be on the tour, its quite the opposite, they wouldn't sign long term contracts if that was the case.
I think what some folks want is for these foreign skaters to praise America to the high ends or if not, for them to be diplomatic when asked by the media what they think of America. Contrary to popular believe, if you don't praise America, your not crazy( I assure you that) if you don't want to be diplomatic about it, your not crazy, you'll just have a few people bickering and whining about you.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Either my short term memory is failing or I once knew a few words of German or my short term memory is failing.:confused:
In this cases I used to be trilingual. LOL.