Ladies Wearing Pants | Golden Skate

Ladies Wearing Pants

CDMM1991

Medalist
Now, that we've had one season with the rule in place that female skaters can wear pants, what does everybody think? I personally think that some skaters took great advantage of it and looked great, like Fumie Suguri. Others, I wasn't a fan of. What does everybody think?

Ximena

Final Flight
I like it. I think Fumie and Irina looked great in pants, though I dind't think Irina's SP music was "suited" for pants...don't know why. Still her costume was really nice.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Fumie absolutely gets the Class Act In Pants Golden Hanger Award for last season!! I thought that costume was lovely, and I still we she had skated at World's the way she skated at 4CC.

I also think pants suit Irina, which I actually found surprising. I think she looks better in longer skirt costumes than shorter skirt dresses because she's a little bow legged or something, and the longer dresses IMO make her leg lines more attractive. So I was surprised to find that I liked her leg line in pants almost better than the longer dresses.

Now, we should discuss which dance teams should start putting the lady in pants as MANDATORY depending on what lifts they do. :biggrin:

DG

Fritz

Spectator
I have a question, if pants are newly allowed, how did Debi Thomas get away with it back in 86 or 87 Worlds?? Or didn't they call them pants?? :eek:hwell:

BittyBug

On the Ice
Fritz said:
I have a question, if pants are newly allowed, how did Debi Thomas get away with it back in 86 or 87 Worlds?? Or didn't they call them pants??:eek:hwell:
They changed the rules to prohibit pants after Debi's (in)famous unitard. I believe the rule change was in direct response to her costume, in fact.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I personally am still a skirt girl but I do think the pants look great on Fumie and Irina. I also think they are great for Ice Dance where some of the moves can be a little revealing.

Hikaru

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
I also think pants suit Irina, which I actually found surprising. I think she looks better in longer skirt costumes than shorter skirt dresses because she's a little bow legged or something, and the longer dresses IMO make her leg lines more attractive. So I was surprised to find that I liked her leg line in pants almost better than the longer dresses.

DG

I used to think the same about the long skirts for Irina, but I also thought that she seemed lost in a sea of fabric. However, this season she was so fit that I thought the short skirst looked good (actually they were just above the knee, not as short as others, but good for her). And the pants really looked great too. It was a very nice outfit.

What other ladies do you think could wear pants. Maybe Carolina?? I think she would look nice.

Heldentenor

Rinkside
I agree with all the posters who said that Fumie Suguri looked the best in pants; they really suited both her physique and her programmes.

Eeyora said:
...I also think they are great for Ice Dance where some of the moves can be a little revealing.
ITA and would say the same for pairs.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I think Suguri would look good in some pants, but not the ones she wore in her Carmen LP. IMO, they were too tight and, being black, emphasized the flaws in her line. Had they been a little looser, they would have camouflaged her line breaks, a striking weakness.

They're not allowed in dance during competition, but the white pants Denkova wore in the Dortmund exhibition program were loose and made her look very streamlined.

nuge

On the Ice
I think they're going to be allowed for the dancers in the od latin combo this coming season .
I also think Albena and Maxim looked good in the white pants' they made their lines look good . :)

emma

Record Breaker
I love the pants...Fumie's costum was beautiful, and Irina looked great (i agree with others that its almost surprising how much pants really suit her).

Pants are only allowed in singles, right? If they are allowed in pairs, I would say that Pang looks good in them (I don't like the halter top, but the pants in the exhibition they did look nice on her).

I'm with Doggygirl (welll spinning her words a bit here but...)...pants should be REQUIRED in Dance given many of the new lifts we are seeing....and I"m NOT trying to be a prude (just am, lol) but when you see the underside of the leotard that is MEANT to be hidden by a skirt, it is just distracting; what I mean is that, while I'm not a huge fan of gymnastics...we get those kind of views all the time in that sport, but they aren't distracting because the leotard is never hidden or meant to be...is this clear? Plus, I can imagine that a lot of the taller women would really be able to highlight their stretch/line with the right pants...

Antilles

Medalist
Emma, singles and pairs are allowed to wear pants, although no pairs seem to have taken advantage of the rule change yet.

emma

Record Breaker
Antilles said:
Emma, singles and pairs are allowed to wear pants, although no pairs seem to have taken advantage of the rule change yet.

oh right...didn't the woman on the russian team...urgh, I forget their names, but the one with the huge tricks but not enough polish...wear pants this year?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am from the old school of figure skating. We wore pants in the wee hours of the morning for patch (figures) then changed into our lovely dresses for free skate and ice dance practice. Of course, for tests and competition ladies wore dresses. I still like the gals to wear traditional skating dresses when competing. Pants are okay for practice.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Dusting off the brain cells here...

Didn't G&G do a competitive program where she was wearing a unitard, and MAYBE (can't recall) some attachment to resemble a skirt?? It's very possible I just dreamed this up since the color scheme I think I recall of the fabric reminds me of the wallpaper in one of my bathrooms. And BTW I LOVE that wallpaper so it's no dis.

On the other hand, I may have just killed the wrong brain cell - probably during the Dick Button Drinking Game.

DG

heyang

Record Breaker
I think the rule change occured because of the lack of skirt on Katerina's That's Entertainment costume. Many felt it was too provocative. For the following competition, she added a skirt of feathers that covered the butt. Her team then commented that Debbie's unitard was just as revealing of form. Thus, the rule change.

I believe this occured during 1988. Isabelle Brasseur also wore a unitard for their LP that year.

Kristi had her skirtless outfit for her Doo----- program. When she competed in a pro-am with that program, she had to add a skirt to comply with the rules.

I think pants are different from unitards and tights. The pants are definitely less revealing than unitards and shorter skirts and they can hide a lot of 'line' problems more easily.

dawnk

Spectator
Seeing as skating is a sport, IMO pants are more appropriate than skirts. Especially since lately tin some cases the fabric in the skirts is not enough to cover the whole rear end. It is better for the women to at least have the choice. Also, seeing as this is a sport., isn't it time the female division was labeled "Women" like every other sport that refers to the male part as "Men"? These females are athletes and these are athletic competitions. I understand from Speedy C that the ISU will use the term "Women"in the Olympics. Why? Because. of all the participating sports, figure skating would be the only one to use the term "Ladies". I quess they figure that It would make us look like wusses at best, backwards at worst, in the eyes of the IOC.. If they feel they have to do it for the OLYS, why not for always?

diver chick

On the Ice
Didn't Kati Witt wear pants for her Robin Hood SP in 1994? I did love that costume and I do seem to remember a comment made by Katerina regarding how stupid it would be to wear a skirt seeing as Robin Hood most definitely did not prance about the forest in a skirt!

Dyan

On the Ice
It's funny that out of the dancers Albena Denkova's name should come up first. ITA that she looked good in the white pants she wore for D&S's exhibition in Dortmund plus it would take care of the problem she always seems to have with the super atomic wedgies.

I think Oksana Domnina wore pants for the Swing OD's back in 2004.