where is ward? | Golden Skate

where is ward?

emma

Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Roheme (sp???) Ward is still skating and if so what's he doing/where?

ETA...i might disappear for a day or two; I'm supposed to be writing and not for fun! but thanks in advance to anyone who has info.

soogar

Record Breaker
Supposedly he will skate for Puerto Rico but that's just stuff I read on FSU.

That's very interesting, if true. Puerto Rico was just recognized this year by the ISU as a provisional member (so is Argentina). I believe they are just now in the process of building the first ice rink on that island. Most of the athletes who will compete for them live and train in the U.S.

Mathman

ElFuego

Rinkside
Last I heard, he was intending to try to qualify for 2006 US Nationals through regionals/sectionals, so apparently he has changed his mind on the Puerto Rico issue.

Aside from that, he does a lot of coaching and choreography around Minneapolis. I saw him perform in a club show in the Spring... his jumps were hit/miss, but one of the cool things I saw him do was a spiral sequence (with no intervening steps) direct into a double axel (which he did land).

JOHIO2

Medalist
I wonder if that is an either/or thing. If he comes back through to US Nationals, can he still compete internationally for Puerto Rico?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Rohene Ward plans to compete at the Broadmoor Open in Colorado Springs later this month and at the Liberty club competition in Aston, PA, in mid-July. He has the option of competing for Puerto Rico in the future if he chooses to do so (he didn't enter Puerto Rican Nationals this April).

emma

Record Breaker
thanks for the info...Sylvia do you know why he didn't compete in PR nationals? Does it have to do with trying to make US nationals (i.e., would there be a conflict there?)

Also, does anyone know why his jumps are hit or miss in competition...that is, do those in the know and/or fans think it is nerves, concentration issues etc?

Also, for those people who have had opportunity to see him skate live, does he throw in the spins and/or jumps in the opposite direction in competition, or is this 'just' something he can do?

Finally....spiral into double axel, WOW...his spiral is to die for, and into a jump, impressive! I would love to see more of his skating!!!!!!

ElFuego

Rinkside
emma said:
Also, does anyone know why his jumps are hit or miss in competition...that is, do those in the know and/or fans think it is nerves, concentration issues etc?

If they knew why (and could then solve the problem) he would be National Champion by now. In practice he's done 4-3-2 combinations. If he could land all of his content in his programs he'd be right up there with Plyushenko

Also, for those people who have had opportunity to see him skate live, does he throw in the spins and/or jumps in the opposite direction in competition, or is this 'just' something he can do?

I think he's done reverse spins in some of his programs; and he's regularly planned reverse 2x into 3s sequences in his LP. That's actually been one of his more consistent moves.

waxel

Final Flight
I saw him skate at 2004 Mids. He aced the SP with a 4T and 3A along with gorgeous spins and spirals (yep, spirals). He blew up in the long and didn't qualify for Nats. I heard that at 2003 Mids (or mabe sectionals?) that he didn't land a single jump in the short OR long.

Hope he can pull it all together- he's an exciting skater.