Tim Goebel's Music for 2005/6 | Golden Skate

Tim Goebel's Music for 2005/6

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I enjoyed not only hearing about his music choices, but also reading the short write up about the choreographic process.

I really hope Tim can bring it on next year like he did for the last Oly season. Geez this is going to seem like the longest summer ever.

http://www.timothygoebel.net/programs.shtml

DG

I did like his R&J Prokoviev. It was a turning point in his presentation style. I liked Queen Symphony, too but he had his technical problems with that.

Sing Sing Sing will be a jazzy number and unfortunately, I can only see Kurt skating to that kined of music. Kurt will give you the soul of jazz and not just the stereotype moves a la ALL those skaters who gave us superficial Elvis Presley.

A night on bald mountain is a heavy piece. TT must have something in mind.

Looking forward to Tim's programs.

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I did like his R&J Prokoviev. It was a turning point in his presentation style. I liked Queen Symphony, too but he had his technical problems with that.

Joe

I actually really liked Tim's SP this year and sort of wish he was keeping it. But that was actually for choreo reasons - it was just so eye popping to have him open with footwork - a major difference from the norm in the opening of a program. That sure got my attention, and I enjoyed the rest of the program too.

DG

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
I actually really liked Tim's SP this year and sort of wish he was keeping it. But that was actually for choreo reasons - it was just so eye popping to have him open with footwork - a major difference from the norm in the opening of a program. That sure got my attention, and I enjoyed the rest of the program too.

DG

I really loved his SP too. I would love to see more skaters start their programs with footwork.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:
If you saw Disney's Fantasia, then you heard A Night on Bald Mountain.

Joe

Urmanov used that music in his 1995-1996 short programme, I believe.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
A Night on Bald Mountain

Joe and other skaters out there, as well as myself, have probably considered this music, or even used it, as did I in past years. It is very powerful with crescendos followed by quick music perfect for "rapid fire" skating. Alexander Fadeev, the 1985 World Men's Champion, used it in 1989 and was magnificent in winning the European Championships that year, over Petrenko, who beat him in 1988 in Calgary for the Bronze medal.

It will showcase the talents of a huge jumper with quick, agile footwork and fast spins (even if the positions are medicore, the rapid revolutions work well with this music).

The music is by Mussorgsky. Joe, was it originally performed as a dance/ballet (in the genre of Stravinsky), or is it a strict symphonic piece?

sk8m8

Final Flight
ChiSk8Fan, Did a little research and found that Night On Bald Mountain is indeed a symphonic piece and is considered a "Fantasy Suite" type of composition (Such as Peter and the Wolf, et al) It was arranged and performed by Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov after Moussorgsky’s death. And, Yes this compositon has had many dances "made" on it. None are famous Ballets, however it really does lend itself to dance with all the dramatic tensions and various rhythms.

I personally think Tim will do well with both selections. The area where I've seen the most improvement lately with him is in his footwork, if he can lay down some memorable steps to the drumbeat passages of Sing, Sing, Sing, then I think he can positon himself well in the short program. I can hardly wait! :yes:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Sing Sing Sing will be a jazzy number and unfortunately, I can only see Kurt skating to that kined of music. Kurt will give you the soul of jazz and not just the stereotype moves a la ALL those skaters who gave us superficial Elvis Presley.

A night on bald mountain is a heavy piece. TT must have something in mind.

Looking forward to Tim's programs.

Joe

Joe,

I agree with you about Kurt's use of this music, but Brian Orser brought the house down when he used Sing, Sing, Sing for his short program at Skate Canada and the Canadian championships (1988). I saw Brian skate to this music live at Skate Canada. He was positively electrifying.

Best of luck to Tim G. but this piece belongs to Brian Orser. One of the best short programs I have ever had the privilege of seeing.

Here is more info on Brian Orser:

http://www.canadianexcellence.com/biography.html

Last edited:

Eeyora

Final Flight
His short program should be fun. I think he needs to go back to an upbeat program

As for the long program it is a perfect choice. IIt is thunderous and should showcase his powerful jumps. Hopefully he can get that quad back.

ChiSk8Fan said:
Joe and other skaters out there, as well as myself, have probably considered this music, or even used it, as did I in past years. It is very powerful with crescendos followed by quick music perfect for "rapid fire" skating. Alexander Fadeev, the 1985 World Men's Champion, used it in 1989 and was magnificent in winning the European Championships that year, over Petrenko, who beat him in 1988 in Calgary for the Bronze medal.

It will showcase the talents of a huge jumper with quick, agile footwork and fast spins (even if the positions are medicore, the rapid revolutions work well with this music).

The music is by Mussorgsky. Joe, was it originally performed as a dance/ballet (in the genre of Stravinsky), or is it a strict symphonic piece?
Chi - I've always thought of it as a tone poem but no matter, you are correct in its various tempo changes and it could well be used as a skating piece provided the right cut is made.

I'm not aware of any dances relating to it but I would think there were. I just remember it as a little boy looking up at the screening of Fantasia and being scared with all that lightning flashing the mise en scene.

Joe